• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Aviation Geeks unite?! Anybody else care about planes here?

What's your level of interest in aviation?!


  • Total voters
    55
I built that model when I was a kid. It's so good to see the real thing. When I visited Udvar-Hazy, I shot a pic of the fuselage on the restoration floor and the wings were near by. Their preservation of Memphis Belle was top notch. She looks new, and I remember seeing her on a concrete pedestal in Memphis in a derelict state surrounded by a fence.

Cool beans!

The work on Flakbait is planned to be completed by 2029 though they're doing a preservation rather than a restoration as like the amphibian in the video I linked last week it's all about the story of the actual aircraft, not the B-26 in general.
 
I built that model when I was a kid. It's so good to see the real thing. When I visited Udvar-Hazy, I shot a pic of the fuselage on the restoration floor and the wings were near by. Their preservation of Memphis Belle was top notch. She looks new, and I remember seeing her on a concrete pedestal in Memphis in a derelict state surrounded by a fence.

Cool beans!
I did, too. I always thought the Marauder was cool, and have enjoyed seeing a few in museums. It's good to see a famous one getting a restoration.
 
Adam Savage doing a follow up video on the restoration of a WWI era biplane.

it's been five years so it shows how long the restoration process can be.

One things they've found with the restoration is the wood used it repairing damage to a wing came from a fruit packing crates whcih I guess is testament to how they could be easily repaired.

There was also break in the main spare of a wing but the plane still flew.

But when the aircraft goes on display it will have restored wing members.

They also have documentation that would explain which particular wood was used in different parts of the airframe.


To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top