Aventine

Progress is extremely slow on the Aventine, but I managed to fix a really annoying problem yesterday, so work can now continue. :)

www.ewe-squad.com/mk2/10.png < Panorama windows

I recently noticed that there are 2 Nebula starships in the Voyager Fleet. (Hawking and Curie) A Nebula has probably the worst shape to get into the current form of QS. I'm having a dilemma if such a ship would need an extensive refit for QS. Like this: www.ewe-squad.com/fleet/nebulabash.jpg

or that, for fans sake, I should not touch it at all. Hmmm :)

Progress is extremely slow on the Aventine, but I managed to fix a really annoying problem yesterday, so work can now continue. :)

I do not like those windows one bit. The split at the top kinda makes them look like house windows, and even without it's just a row of standard tall thin TNG ones.

I'd much prefer a gigantic window taking up the entire wall, kinda like the viewscreen of the nuEnterprise (and presumably, the huge saucer rim windows too). It would be an epic view from inside, and neat to see the little ant people from out.

I recently noticed that there are 2 Nebula starships in the Voyager Fleet. (Hawking and Curie) A Nebula has probably the worst shape to get into the current form of QS. I'm having a dilemma if such a ship would need an extensive refit for QS. Like this: www.ewe-squad.com/fleet/nebulabash.jpg

Sounds like you're going with my hypothesis that slipstream requires a ship that isn't too broad, that a wider conduit would require more power and calculating speed and be harder to keep stable. I came up with that to justify why the Vesta class is so narrow and streamlined, and also why the Luna class isn't getting slipstream yet (and why the Borg couldn't make it practical for their cubes). And yeah, a slipstream Nebula wouldn't really work under that model. Still, it is just a hypothesis; there's nothing in the books that confirms it. Maybe there's another way of explaining things.

If you did want to refit the Nebs into a narrower configuration, I'd suggest bringing the warp nacelles closer in to the hull as well as narrowing the saucer. Then again, it does seem like such changes would require a near-total rebuild, and that would probably take too long to fit within the timeframe of the development of the Voyager fleet. So that is a tricky problem.

I do not like those windows one bit. The split at the top kinda makes them look like house windows, and even without it's just a row of standard tall thin TNG ones.

I'd much prefer a gigantic window taking up the entire wall, kinda like the viewscreen of the nuEnterprise (and presumably, the huge saucer rim windows too). It would be an epic view from inside, and neat to see the little ant people from out.

Yeah, I'm not all that crazy about the windows either, but I think it mostly has to do with the colouring on the rest of the ship. I think it looks fine in the SoTL calendar:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb261/daedalus02/Starships/Vestaclass.jpg

I rather like the windows, especially since we aren't looking at a final skin. I think they'll work out nicely.

Although a huge panorama window could be cool too :p

Sounds like you're going with my hypothesis that slipstream requires a ship that isn't too broad, that a wider conduit would require more power and calculating speed and be harder to keep stable. I came up with that to justify why the Vesta class is so narrow and streamlined, and also why the Luna class isn't getting slipstream yet (and why the Borg couldn't make it practical for their cubes). And yeah, a slipstream Nebula wouldn't really work under that model. Still, it is just a hypothesis; there's nothing in the books that confirms it. Maybe there's another way of explaining things.

If you did want to refit the Nebs into a narrower configuration, I'd suggest bringing the warp nacelles closer in to the hull as well as narrowing the saucer. Then again, it does seem like such changes would require a near-total rebuild, and that would probably take too long to fit within the timeframe of the development of the Voyager fleet. So that is a tricky problem.
From a practical perspective, it might be too much hassle, but Starfleet could have decided that the Nebula was easy to refit, since the hull is separable just like on the Galaxy. All they need to do is give the ship a slimmer Intrepid-style hull, dump the sensor/weapons roll bar and shrink the secondary hull. If they can rebuild a Sabre-class ship in six weeks from spaceframe, then there shouldn't be any reason why they can't reconfigure a Nebula to that stated above in about the same time period.

About the windows: I'm aware that it might have been cooler to make it 1 big glass panel (and MUCH easier too) However I kind of dislike the idea of having such big area unprotected, and if I look at the Enterprise E or any other ship of this era, then I dont see large windows at all. (we are talking about approx. 12x3 meter of window.)

*Small challenge: Proof me wrong and I will change them! :techman:

About the Nebula:
Christopher, I had exactly the same thoughts. I based it on hull stress and microfractions (got to love them) on Voyager when they where traveling in QS. However it might be the case that during the development of the Vesta class, the technology was perfected in such a way that it could be applied to any shape.

Brother Benny: I ofcourse LOVE thisidea, but would it still be a Nebula? :) And if not, could it be something like a second generation Nebula?

If one big window was really a safety problem, they wouldn't have had them on the bridges of the Enterprise and Kelvin in STXI (alternate universe or not).
You could always add a useless pretty pattern like the Delta Flyer cockpit window :)

A second-gen Nebula made of Sovereign parts would be interesting. I wouldn't be suprised if someone's already kitbashed something lile that...would the Titan count?

Yeah, my bad. But if a big window is good enough for the control room of the Federation's flagship, then it's certainly good enough for a crew lounge on the Aventine.

Seriously, what's the point of flying around in space if you can't *really* enjoy the view?

Then again, perhaps staring out the window at slipstream space (or whatever it's called) for long periods may have unpleasent side effects? I'm reminded of The Shatnerverse's nausiating transwarp space, and (at the extreme end) Larry Niven's hyperspace madness.

Seriously, what's the point of flying around in space if you can't *really* enjoy the view?

Well, for one thing, in real life as opposed to TV/movieland, there wouldn't be a view. If the lights are on inside and there's nothing but starlight outside, your eyes aren't going to be able to see anything outside but blackness. Conversely, if you're in direct sunlight within a star system, you'd be at risk of being blinded. Not to mention the various radiation hazards in space. Really, a viewscreen makes more practical sense than a window for a variety of reasons. Though one can rationalize it if one assumes that the windows aren't merely passive transparencies but active, computerized surfaces that alter the light coming through them, enhancing the dim lights to a visible level and ramping down the bright lights to a safe level. Which is consistent with the new movie's depiction of windows doubling as viewscreens.

Nebula: I decided to try out what would happen if only the saucer would be replaced with a pointy ENT-E like variant while leaving the rest untouched:

http://www.ewe-squad.com/fleet/nebulavariant2.jpg

I kind of like it + it would reduce the crew size & overall maintenance. Perhaps a logical step after the Dominion War.

About the windows: If I feel up to it, I might try out some different shapes. There is 1 other spot that has larger windows, it's quite well protected and has about the same position and function as "Ten Forward". Still there are some struts to reinforce them, but they are not very wide. (15cm) :)

For me, I like the windows just fine.

My main focus is the room. Is that the rec hall Ezri's crew has the jam session in, in KRAD's book?

Hmm...I wonder if Ezri's been sharpening her Joran-given musical skills on that beauty of a piano...:drool:

Nebula: I decided to try out what would happen if only the saucer would be replaced with a pointy ENT-E like variant while leaving the rest untouched:

I kind of like it + it would reduce the crew size & overall maintenance. Perhaps a logical step after the Dominion War.
That looks good, and still looks like a Nebula. Would it also make more sense to reduce the width of the nacelle struts as they extend from the ship while also lowering the nacelles themselves to project a narrower profile overall? It could be a Nebula QS-variant.

About the windows: If I feel up to it, I might try out some different shapes. There is 1 other spot that has larger windows, it's quite well protected and has about the same position and function as "Ten Forward". Still there are some struts to reinforce them, but they are not very wide. (15cm) :)

The side, top, and 3/4 view look pretty cool, but the head on looks a little odd to me.

Interesting design upgrade for the Nebula. Wanted to point out, we have already seen a design for the Achielles, which was in the Dominion Wars game. Don't know if the writers were using that design or what.

The side, top, and 3/4 view look pretty cool, but the head on looks a little odd to me.

I think I might tuck in the warp nacelles a little more; with the saucer so much skinnier, they seem to be stuck out way too far. It would also make sense with slipstream.

That's just my aesthetic sense though; I'm sure others disagree.

^I think you're the third person to suggest tucking in the warp nacelles, and I was the first. Not quite a consensus, but evidently not an isolated opinion.

^ I missed that; it was back before he posted his sketches.

Indeed, it seems to be a pretty generally accepted idea :)

Back