Spoilers Avengers: Infinity War grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Apr 23, 2018.

?

How do you rate "Avengers: Infinity War"?

1. A+

23.6%
  2. A

41.2%
  3. A-

15.2%
  4. B+

6.7%
  5. B

7.3%
  6. B-

1.8%
  7. C+

1.2%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1.8%
  12. D-

0.6%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think it's time to unfollow this thread. Any actual discussion of the movie has given way to the same old back and forth. People! It's OK to like things and it's OK for other people to like other things.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    After numerous rewatchings, I've bumped up my opinion of this movie from a C+ to an A. It's all over the place and doesn't stand on its own at all but I really like all of the character stuff, particularly the space stuff, whether it's Thor & the Guardians of the Galaxy or the unlikely trio of Iron Man, Spider-Man, & Doctor Strange.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The Nolan films and the Raimi films are good--period. (Spider-Man 3 being the exception)

4. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, the Raimi films are repetitive, largely miscast and full of terrible cringey slapstick.

But the Nolan films are really good.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  5. theenglish

Just watched the 2002 Spider-Man again last weekend--loved it.

6. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I know people enjoy it. And I'm glad for that, too. The more people have a good superhero movie they enjoy, the better off the genre as a whole is. I just can't miss an opportunity to remind the world that Tobey Maguire is a terrible Spider-man. :nyah:

But, seriously, everyone has different tastes and that's fine. There's no need to retroactively convince the world that the Raimi films suck, regardless of how I feel about them. I don't know where Anwar gets the energy for it all.

Anwar and The Nth Doctor like this.
  7. theenglish

I know. For me, I grew up in the seventies. The X-Men movie and Raimi's Spider-Man shortly afterward were the first super-hero movies that really captured the spirit of the comics I loved. As much as I enjoyed previous movies and as much as I love the Chris Reeves Superman, they had never really felt like a comic book for me.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

His point is to defend the MCU, because most were never held to the same high regard as Nolan's Batman films, and never will be. If the member in question likes the cartoony superhero film, that's his business, but filmmakers who made successful adaptations of the serious kind succeeded because the story demanded it (meaning all superheroes are not silly), and the audience responded with the kind of praise he resents because its never applied to most MCU films, except the mature chapters (Cap 1&2 and Black Panther).

Nolan's Bat trilogy had a large number of comic adaptations before, during and after their theatrical release, but are still a gold standard of genuinely great comic films, which is ever the burning issue for a MCU defender of the kind I responded to.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they aren't creatively bankrupt, repetitive and pretentious enough to be on Nolan's level.

Lots of people are still ashamed of actual comic-booky stuff.

Genuinely pretentious comic films, maybe.

10. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Has someone in this thread actually expressed this POV, or is it just your gifted insight into other people’s thinking that obliges you to rebut unexpressed beliefs?

Grendelsbayne and Ovation like this.
  11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm talking about in general, like twitter and facebook and IMDB and youtube as well. It's the same as how DC fans keep going on about how every subsequent DCEU film will be the one that destroys every MCU film past present and future.

12. Captrek

I see. Somebody tweeted the Nolan films are untouchable and the end-all of cinema. You came here and preemptively rebutted this opinion before it even reached here. But for you, I might have seen some of these Tweets and been persuaded that the Nolan films really are untouchable and the end-all of cinema. You have saved me from that possible fate. Thank you. If there’s anything at all I can do to repay you, please let me know.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, really more a bunch of pretentious pompous buffoons on IMDB than twitter. Thankfully, Batman v Superman shut most of them up. But I try to deflate that attitude anywhere I see it.

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Good for them.

No, several are still demonstrably better films than Marvel movies.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  15. Captrek

Good thing you do. We need to get in as many licks as we can now on the DC fan base, and see if we can thin their numbers, because eventually the DCEU will have a movie that doesn’t suck, and then they’ll be really annoying to deal with.

Morpheus 02 and Serveaux like this.
  16. theenglish

I am going to predict now that Aquaman is going to be a huge hit. And BTW, even people who didn't like other DCEU films liked Wonder Woman for the most part.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Such review, much wow.

A comic book then.

I asume than, that since you have an opinion on all of them, you are as Pavloved as the rest of us and watch them?

No. Basicly, I found your posts not about sharing what you think, but purposefully being extra negative about something that people enjoy. Resorting to an insult even (the Pavlovian thing), all just to get responses and attention.
    Your first post on the subject wasn't an actual review stating in detail what you felt was wrong and how it might have been improved. You just walk in and shout 'trash' loud enough so everyone looks at you.

Like I said, you do watch all these movies, even though you seem to hate them quite a lot. If you want to be taken serious about your opinion, actually back up why you feel the way you do and give feedback so we can turn this into an actual discussion, instead of just stomping in, shouting for attention and than be act as if you're the one being insulted now.

18. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Raimi movies, but it did have its faults. MJ was a terrible portrayal of the character. A gold digging slapper with no redeeming features, hunting out the wealthy bachelors and crying on Parker’s shoulder. He needed to ditch his playground crush and grow a pair.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Aquaman looks good to me and I look forward to it but my younger friends who are somewhat more of afficiandos expect it to be bad.

It was called Wonder Woman. Now, belatedly, Marvel wants one of their own.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

If you're ashamed of comics and into that creatively bankrupt, pretentious stuff like "Die a Hero or become a villain" (which has been proven wrong repeatedly). And no, the acting and camerawork isn't better either.

It happened with WW. Predictably they demanded Gadot win an Oscar for best actress and the Golden Globe and WW win all the other awards.

See, this is the difference between the MCU fanbase and DC's. When the MCU makes a good film they're satisfied with it being a good film. When DC has any success they go nuts and demand the world recognize it and can't stand that any competitor films get any recognition at all. It's not enough for them to do well, everyone else must fail.

Nolan more or less created this modern madness in them.

And predictably, the DC fans went nuts over it and demanded it win Oscars and Golden Globes, when in truth it had a very basic story and got by mainly on not totally sucking even though it was that silly last act.

At least Marvel Studios had the excuse that Ike Perlmutter wouldn't let them make Captain Marvel even though they'd wanted to do the film for years.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018