Poll Avengers: Endgame vs Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker global box office

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ITDUDE, Apr 12, 2019.

?

Which movie will be on top with total global box office?

1. Avengers: Endgame

27 vote(s)
    87.1%
  2. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. theenglish

theenglish Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really think that Solo flopped because of the timing. The new movies were already starting to create a December tradition of going to a Star Wars movie. We had two great movies in a row, and then one that was controversial even though a lot of us liked it. Solo, in my opinion, was a better movie than TLJ--but it didn't hit that cultural spark that Infinity War, Black Panther, and now Captain Marvel have. The new Star Wars movie is not going to be a failure, but I can imagine a lot of people waiting for good reviews before going to see it.

ichab likes this.
  2. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a mixture of many things. Timing, poor reception from TLJ and little interest in the movie in the first place.

Anwar and ichab like this.
  3. Campe98

Campe98 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a lifelong Star Wars fan, I want to say Episode IX. But getting decent seats for a Sunday 3pm Endgame show was difficult. Endgame it is.

I also want to say both will kick Avatar’s piece of shit ass. But sadly, I don’t know if that’s possible.

4. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Avatar just hasn't aged well. I haven't watched it in years already. I think Cameron waited too long to make sequels, so I doubt they can make same money as original.

5. Butters

Butters Commodore Commodore

End Game has been building anticipation for years, while Star Wars has been squandering it. As a casual Star Wars fan I can honestly say that I have no idea how The Force Awakens connects to Return of the Jedi. The Empire was defeated, the Emperor and Vader were dead, the galaxy partied. The new films haven’t added anything to the saga and just seem unnecessary. I’m happy to wait an extra few months and watch it on Sky for a lot less than the price of a family of four cinema trip.

Avengers though, we can’t not go watch it.

ichab likes this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I want SW but know it is Avengers.

Regardless , I'll be watching one and not the other.

7. Campe98

Campe98 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hated Avatar when I saw it in 2009. Unfortunately my wife loves them so they'll at least be a rental. But I hope I can avoid a trip to the theater for these.

ichab likes this.
  8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I saw it in theaters and had a headache the whole time, both from the 3D glasses (I lived in Japan at the time and they only showed it in 3D so I had no choice) and the horrible, shitty writing. I barely remember much about the plot other than there wasn't much plot.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting that I find myself not caring about this. I loved the Marvel comics when I was a kid, but I lost interest in comic book movies a while ago and I am not watching them any more. I loved the first 2 Star Wars movies, but have been disappointed in the last 8. That is a very long losing streak. The best hope for SW is the movies being made by D&D, they showed they are good story tellers on GoT.

Serveaux likes this.
  10. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Verified Disney Princess Moderator

I think Disney is the real winner either way.

fireproof78, EnderAKH and ITDUDE like this.
  11. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Detective Pikachu will win over all of them.

12. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh man, there is a good chance it can hit $1B: https://screenrant.com/detective-pikachu-box-office-projections-aquaman/
    I guess first live action Pokemon movie ever will have that level on anticipation. Plus Pikachu is voiced by Ryan Reynolds so Deadpool fans may also show up. I may need to check it out on video at some point.

13. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Commodore Commodore

I never cared for the MCU but a lot more do and it's had fewer mediocre or poorly received movies. The fact scalpers are selling tickets for, what, $1000 a pop (FTW) pretty much says it all and in bright pink day-glo/UV light-glo lettering.

Now having said that, SW IX could do a massive 180 and catch up but TFA was riding more on the feel and looks rather than story content (which is nothing more than a rehash with random mystery boxes thrown in...)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I debated for a while and ended up going with Star Wars, thinking that age of the franchise would be enough, but I have to admit I forgot about what happened with The Last Jedi and Solo, so now I'm wishing I could change my vote.

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even if TLJ hadn't been so divisive I think Star Wars would struggle to match Endgame purely because it does so poorly in such a massive market as China.

Though I do feel sorry for Disney. They're going to spend millions more on buying all those tickets to continue prop up these two franchises.

16. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

SW's problem is that it had its big climax in ROTJ, there wasn't anywhere to go after that.

MCU smartly waited to do its climax after introducing the next generation characters so the "Passing the Torch" thing would be more workable.

ichab likes this.
  17. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Bingo.

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Commodore Commodore

lolwut

19. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

That, and the audience didn't want anyone but Ford in the role.

20. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

No matter who loses, Mickey wins.