Spoilers Avengers: Endgame grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Apr 21, 2019.

?

How do you rate Avengers: Endgame?

1. A+

35.1%
  2. A

28.8%
  3. A-

16.2%
  4. B+

9.9%
  5. B

4.7%
  6. B-

1.0%
  7. C+

1.0%
  8. C

1.6%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0.5%
  11. D

0.5%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.5%
  1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Is it? Would Ms. "He'd tell you to do as Peggy says!" really appreciate it if Steve started playing God fresh off of his one-in-fourteen-million win, saying he knows better because he's seen the golden path that ends with 2023 having pretty much the same number of people as 2018 did, and he's going to try doing as little of that as possible. Keep things loose. Don't worry your pretty little head, honey, I know what decisions you should be making.

I mean, sure, I might dick around with an alternate timeline just to see what happens, but I'm a big subscriber to the Teal'c philosophy that our reality is the only one of consequence, and as you say, I'm not the one whose looking my wife in the eye saying, "Let's do this, it might backfire horribly and destroy the world, but don't worry, I've got a spare I can go home to where I know the all the things you would've done turned out fine. Not great, but, in the end, fine. Now let's kick over this anthill full of hidden Nazis and see what happens."

Like, in the real world, more than once, we were seconds away from total nuclear armageddon caused by embarrassingly stupid mistakes. If you send me back in time before détente, I'm going to be afraid to breathe. I don't want to sneeze on a butterfly that flaps its wings and then suddenly Stanislav Petrov has to call in sick on September 26, 1983. I don't know whether Steve Rogers has the heart of a gambler or not, but I'd think that after so many last-second victories, he'd recognize the world sometimes hangs by a thread, and you don't want to go tugging on it. At most, I'd think he'd throw some sand in the gears, set things up for the future victories so they had a little more margin for error, rather than just sending up a big flare saying "CRYPTO-NAZIS, MURDER MY WIFE AND ME RIGHT NOW TO PRESERVE YOUR SECRET."

Also, how do we know Peggy doesn't know about the Hydra infiltration? She was dealing with it back in the '40s, though she hadn't found the shape of it yet when we left her. We saw in this very film that she worked in the same building as Arnim Zola and his soon-to-be-computerized brain, and that her good, close friend Howard Stark was his collaborator. Maybe she was working against them the whole time. Maybe she found them useful and kept an eye on them to make sure they didn't get too big for their britches while still doing things loyal SHIELD agents wouldn't. Maybe she was turned, and would've murdered Steve in his sleep if she found out he knew.

BeatleJWOL and Captaindemotion like this.
  2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

All this backs up my personal head canon: that Steve dropped by Peggy's to let her know that he was okay, that he'd be okay, and she'd be okay, too - and then he left her again, as the timeline demanded, and went and married someone else.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

There's no reason he couldn't have told Peggy. Hydra was defeated. Steve knows this. He also knows the possible ramifications of changing the timeline again. Personally, I'd like to imagine Peggy working clandestinely against HYDRA from within throughout her life. You could write an entire comic book series about it.

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

But that's only because he ALSO saw the timeline where he told eveyone everything beforehand. ;)

urbandefault and Captrek like this.
  5. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

I think there's such a thing as too much analysis. A fictional universe such as this will always work on according to its own laws of Plot Device, to some extent or another.

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup. Take it all at face value, hold on tight, and enjoy the ride.

Nyotarules, Ovation and Campe like this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's the curse of being a nerd... The call of deep analysis is always in our heads.

8. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Cos men who can't get girls or boys are an endangered species in their mothers' basement

YLu likes this.
  9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Perhaps. But we can choose. That's all it takes. We're not going to over analyze...today. ;)

Captrek likes this.
  10. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understood that reference.

Ovation and Captrek like this.
  11. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Yesterday I chose not to kill. Today I choose not to over-analyze, which means killing is back on the menu, I guess. Anybody still want to disagree with me?

12. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

With MCU timetravel it's seems very easy to create multiple branches in time (while preserving the OTL as it unfolded).

Mirror Loki escaping with the Tesseract, HYDRA operatives tricked into thinking Steve's on their side, and Mirror Steve now knowing his childhood friend is still alive (and even more on HYDRA's radar) would be very interesting plot developments.

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

+
    =

[​IMG]

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Endgame has passed avatar for second all time domestically. Doesn't have the legs to pass tfa though. If inflation I'd taken into account, it will pass a few movies, and slot behind star wars episode 1.

16. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would she need "another" thing to be unable to bear children than having surgery (which is shown in AoU) to presumably remove her uterus (which would also remove those pesky monthly bleedings that could potentially lead to troubles in an assassin's life...).

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We all know who's missing. :weep:

TedShatner10 and Avalon like this.
  18. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sif and Valkyrie?

19. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Them, too...

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Tessa Thompson must have been unavailable so I guess they CGI'd her part in. Shame she missed the photo

BeatleJWOL likes this.