Attempting to make a TNG door

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by busted1942, Jan 14, 2014.

1. busted1942

busted1942 Cadet Newbie

I want a TNG door in my house and I would love to buy a real set door, but that is not in the budget. There was also a fellow who sold door skins online but I believe he is out of business so I suppose I have to make my own.

The problem I am hoping someone here might be able to help me with is the material. I want the door to split in the center, be light weight, not bow, be smooth, paintable, rigid and strong enough so if someone tripped into the door, my project would not be ruined. As for accuracy, I am not going for replica quality however I want to come as close to it as a few hundred will allow.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know how the set doors were built in the series? Thanks for any advice and tips.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Re: Attempting to make a SNG door

I'd think they were designed for a tv show soundstage

3. treknician1701

treknician1701 Lieutenant Commander

Which door were you interested in? I knew a married couple down in Texas that had the 10-forward door replicated, and they had it as their front door, TWICE! The wooden doors with a porthole window in it. The right side door was able to be opened, and the left was locked down. There are several places online that you can get STTNG graphics from, if you want one of those banners across the door, showing what the room is. I can direct you to them, if you want.