Spoilers Ash & The Internet

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Jan 20, 2018.

1. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought something was fishy with Ash from the his first appearance. In fact, I thought that he would end up working with Mudd to cause trouble for Lorca. OK, that's not a big mental leap, since that was the whole shtick of the Klingon torture scene, which intended to turn people against one another, but when he (after being tortured for a long time), stood with Lorca, I thought something more fishy was up.

I also thought of Voq turning human from the moment L'Rell told him he would have to give up everything.

That said, Ash being Voq didn't ever cross my mind, I even rejected the theory, and was spoiled more in the sense that I didn't completely like it that the theory was true. It would have worked better without the Internet I guess. It was still done very well.

But it was telegraphed pretty clearly:
    * L'Rell says her boyfriend Voq will give up everything. Aboard the USS Shenzhou, surrounded by human bios. And he's gone from the series.
    * L'Rell appears with Ash as her new boyfriend. Something's fishy with him. And there was something up with the way Lorca was taken.
    * L'Rell's politics tell me she wouldn't be up to having sexual relations with a human publicly, and wouldn't want Voq finding that out.
    * The Chekov tribble had been suspiciously placed there from episode 1. Er, 3.

I don't count the Internet investigation with Javid Iqbal, or Latif being announced as playing a Klingon, as those weren't dots we were supposed to connect, but the above ought to be enough to at least suspect him being Voq.

I guess it felt too incredible, especially using surgical procedures, for me to accept it as a theory within the realm of possibility.

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It’s been heavily foreshadowed, I think they wanted us to suspect he would turn at any moment, causing tension for his relationship with Burnham. The actual twist was that Ash didn’t know he was Voq.

Or it’s all a distraction for the Captain really being from the MU, which is going to be the real reveal.

3. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The "let's squish a Klingon into a human suit" bit (or whatever the hell it was supposed to be) was way over the top. There has to be a more plausible way, but I doubt it would have been splattery enough.

This wasn't a water-drop reveal, it was out and out spoon feeding with the writers too busy patting themselves on the back for their nonexistent cleverness.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For sure. Per Mr. Chekhov
    "Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."
    Now, we may not have seen the last act yet. But damn. A tribble, a klingon spy. That chekhov's gun should have fired by now. UNLESS, there is ANOTHER Klingon spy on Discovery. Oooh, quick, everyone go rewatch every episode so far and see who has NOT been near the Tribble yet!

Lord Garth and KennyB like this.
  5. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I have absolutely no idea of how I would've 'organically' viewed it, given my limited one universe reality of being influenced by various media - sigh. However mirror Refuge might have a different story...

6. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember what Sigmund Freud said: "Sometimes a tribble is just a tribble."

KennyB and Crazy Eddie like this.
  7. skip bittman

skip bittman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was too distracted by yelling "It's Clem Fandango!" whenever he appeared.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  8. AndorianAle

AndorianAle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When Ash was in the worker bee and having trouble, I was so waiting for Burnham to say "Can you hear me?" and Ash replying "Yes I can hear you!" in frustration. Sadly, a missed opportunity.

Agony_Boothb and Longinus like this.
  9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't have guessed it just because I am biased against twists I think are bad writing.

10. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOO SOON, MAN!

R.I.P Sweet, beautiful, Robb Stark

Vger23 likes this.
  11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

This - personally I felt the show was deliberately hinting heavily at Ash being a spy - I remember saying:

during the watching thread for Choose Your Pain. The twist is that he wasn't, at least as far as he knew. Overall, I thought that was nicely handled, although the surgical procedure seems a bit hand wavey, and to draw yet another Stargate parallel, reminded me of their early episode The Enemy Within in which the Goa'uld 'essence' remains in the host despite no physical parasite, for shocking twist value (something they never repeated).

12. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

As to how it was handled? I think it was the usual Discovery 'cheat'. It played on our sympathies (and Michael's) that he was the victim of male sexual abuse. Oh how we sympathised and praised the writers. Except that was fake. The story went a direction that he was a simple, complicit spy.

Longinus likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Into Darkness would have been more successful if they admitted Benedict Cumberbatch was Khan from the outset but heavily promoted Bandersnatch Cumberwhipple as John Harrison.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Arne Darvin says "hello".

Longinus likes this.
  15. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure, but he was revealed by simple tricorder scan. My SO is not terribly knowledgeable with all the finer details of the Trek universe, and to people who are not familiar with the augment virus thing the idea that you could alter something that looks like a Discovery Klingon to a perfectly normal looking human in a level that it could fool their medical scans just does not occur. It does not seem like a plausible possibility.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Fair point, but I imagine that it can be hard to make a sci-fi franchise with 29 seasons of television and 13 movies in the canon to be immediately and totally accessable to new comers. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. I remember getting into Doctor Who and trying to assimilate as much of his 50 year history as I could. It was daunting and occasionally confusing but it never affected my enjoyment going forward.

And McCoy's tricorder is from 10 years in the future and knew what to look for.

Vger23 likes this.
  17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I can vouch for that.

In 2013, I finally decided to watch Doctor Who to see what the Big Deal was about. Everyone I knew in Real Life who was a sci-fi fan seemed to be into it. I started with the new series. 26 seasons of Old Doctor Who was too much to watch up front, so I classified that under, "I'll get to it later" (I've seen some of it since, but not a lot). I never had any trouble keeping up.

In fact, when they switched from David Tennant to Matt Smith, it even felt as if the series was re-tooled and re-launched (which it was), so I could've started right at Season 5.

I think as long as you give viewers enough information to know what's going on in the Current Series, whatever the franchise is, that should be enough.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, there was still a physical parasite within Kawalsky, you can see it drop out of his head after the deactivating Stargate cuts his head open. It is actually specified in the script to be the symbiote.
    The change from Tennant to Smith also had changing showrunners at the time, Russell T Davies left and Steven Moffat took over, which is why the show changed as drastically as it did. With new showrunner Chris Chibnall taking over from Moffat this year, we can expect a similar re-tooling and re-launch.

Crazy Eddie and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, it wasn't like the Zat thing where they just pretended they never said it could disintegrate things, for the rest of the show it always took some kind of exotic technology to successfully remove a Goa'uld beyond a scalpel and some forceps (the weirdest being "Continuum" where we finally see the way the Tok'ra did it was using a machine to pull the whole creature out through the opposite end of the brain, which seems... invasive).