Spoilers Ash & The Internet

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If not for the Internet -- ironically, the way viewing Discovery is possible -- and rumors/speculation online, would you have caught on that Ash might be Voq as soon as you did? If you did.

I might not have made the connection right away though I would've noted something was up as Lorca did when he said "No one survives seven months in Klingon prison."

Philip Guyott and guyute03 like this.
  2. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

No idea but I really thought the damn tribble was going to play into it! :lol:

3. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My SO who is usually very good at predicting plot twists saw a ages ago that there was some sort of weirdness going on with Tyler and predicted some sort of twist, but not what the actual twist was. Probably because the whole thing is pretty implausible.

4. AndorianAle

AndorianAle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I figured it out when Tyler was introduced as L’Rell’s slave for the past 7 months while we knew she was stuck starving on the Ship of the Dead most of that time. Her and Voq disappear, then she shows up Captaining a ship with no Voq and new character Tyler appears.

5. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

I think if it was just me, I'd be suspicious that we hadn't seen Vo'q for a while, especially when L'Rell said he would need to sacrifice 'everything'. But I'm not sure I would go beyond suspucion as I'm not confident in predicting plot twists. My wife on the other hand can spot a plot twist a mile away...

jaime likes this.
  6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mostly figured it out before we ever saw Ash.

The fourth episode's Voq/L'Rell dialogue made it clear that L'Rell had contacts within what passes for the Klingon espionage service, that Voq was developing some sort of personal obsession with Micheal Burnham, and that, as L'Rell said, he would have to give up "everything." This made it clear that they were going to make him into some sort of human-passing sleeper agent. I was also wondering where the hell Ash Tyler was, given the rest of the main cast has already been introduced.

The next episode mostly clinched it, with Ash suddenly appearing on a ship with L'Rell, and his story not making much sense. At that point, my only hesitation was this was some elaborate red herring. But it was clear that the showrunners were clubbing us over the head with massive "hints."

The one thing I got wrong was I thought they were going to expose Voq to the augment virus rather than engage in a barbaric surgical procedure to get him to pass for human.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There were far too many continuity problems with Ash's backstory, which made it damn obvious he was either telling a false story. After all, if he were captured by L'Rell at the Binary Stars, how did she convince the other Klingons not to eat him during the seven months they were starving? Being the favourite sex toy of the only woman on board the ship wouldn't protect him for seven months from starving Klingons.

jaime and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  8. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Well ever since Lorca was in disbelief over Ash surviving for 7 month....
    And T'rell remark about sacrificing it all!

9. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only thing Trek has telegraphed more clumsily is one of Kirk's roundhouse punches. They were practically shouting it at us by the mid-season finale, and I'd quit caring altogether.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they purposefully water-dropped it to us from day one. It was about execution...not about SHOCKER SURPRISE RED WEDDING!!!1!1!!!

KennyB, Ovation, Lord Garth and 2 others like this.
  11. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only worked it when the doctor did so I’m a bit on the slow side.

I was right about Tilly though, and I worked that out for myself. Go me!

12. SJA

SJA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Seems a long time since my 'Mysterious Mr Tyler thread' ha!

13. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know but when Voq vanished off that ship and then Ash shows up in a Klingon jail, to help Lorca, I knew something was not right. That was super suspicious. Plus I also expect twists in everything now. That's just the age we live in.

14. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Red Wedding wasn't surprising at all. And I'm not just saying that because I read the books first.

15. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

They did a really good job of keeping us guessing, though. L'Rell was definitely playing a very long con on Starfleet.

What's also interesting is that, judging by the phaser blast to the face and Kol almost killing her on the Ship of the Dead, her incredibly cunning and well executed plan has COMPLETELY spiraled out of her control, even to the point that Voq's "cover" personality isn't cooperating with the password she installed. This makes it a rare case in Star Trek where somebody comes up with an overly complex and elaborate plan that completely backfires in unpredictable ways, and that adds a lot more interest (in my opinion) about this story arc. Because if it's just the bad guys being implausibly one step ahead of the good guys for no reason, you get annoyed and think "Fuck this... wake me when it's over." But now you see the bad guys' plans totally unraveling in ways that screw literally EVERYONE on both sides of the conflict... it's like watching a car crash in slow motion and watching to see which of the passengers is going to get thrown out of the window first.

Kitty Worrier, cultcross and lursa like this.
  16. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it was that much of a surprise in the books, but it's been a long time since I read it.

17. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, you're absolutely brilliant!!!!!

[​IMG]

PhotoBoy, KennyB and Crazy Eddie like this.
  18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was clumsily handled when they announced the recasting.

Philip Guyott and jaime like this.
  19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? Dude, then why don't you go ahead and PM me the Super Bowl winner this year and the points. Thanks!

On topic, I wouldn't have guessed the truth prior, I think, Into the Forrest I Go, although I might have suspected he was hiding something.

20. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Yes, I thought it was obvious. In fact, as time went on it seemed to be so obvious that I thought it was deliberate mis-direction. :wtf:

Phoenix219 likes this.