Arriving after all: "Fade In: The Making of Star Trek Insurrection" by Michael Piller

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoa ? 95.00 dollars that's way too expensive for a Star trek book!:cardie:

2. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah that price is just stupid. A quick google and the PDF is out there, everywhere.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Why is it?

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree with Dimesdan here. There are Star Trek books out there that are equally if not more expensive. Like the new Encyclopedia being released soon. Fandoms in general have proven in the past they are willing to pay loads of money for things they otherwise wouldn't buy if a certain show's name wasn't stickered on it.

5. Brefugee

How so? I asked a question, not making a statement on my thoughts of the price of the book.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, that is totally my interpretation.... You're right, my bad. :)

7. Reanok

To answer Dan's question some of us can't afford to buy Star trek books this expensive. That's why we get them from the library instead.

8. Brefugee

That just explains why you can't afford it, not why such a price isn't justified.

9. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also rather liked it. Then again, I rather liked ANYTHING at the time that wasn't either Borg or Dominion.

As to the price, I agree. It would have to be quite thick, four-color on slick paper throughout, and a Smyth-sewn (or side-sewn, or cleat-sewn) hardcover binding, to justify that price tag. I remember many years ago, spending a small fortune on a one-off copy of an out-of-print biography (of organist E. Power Biggs) from a division of University Microfilms, and I don't think it was any more than that.

At the International Printing Museum, we had a project a few years ago (it was well underway when I first signed on as a docent). The lead docent's late Uncle Ken wrote a fictionalized memoir of surgical residency at the hospital we now call County-USC. Doc and his crew printed the whole thing by letterpress, from thousands of pounds of type formes, cast on our Linotype and Ludlow machines, spending over four years (just working weekends, but in full view of every tour group that went through) on the project, from the first slugs being cast to the last batch of pages being shipped to the bookbinder. We sold the paperback edition for $25.

10. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    This is a great book, I definitely recommend finding a copy of it. It really takes some of the shine off of folks like Spiner and Stewart to learn how they treated the writers.

jaime likes this.
  11. Reanok

I have a book about making the movie Insurrection when the movie came out and it was Twenty five dollars. It has interviews with Micheal Westmore and the people who made the movie. The special effects they used. You might find a used copy on ebay.

12. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

That's a different book (possibly The Secrets of Star Trek Insurrection, by Terry Erdmann); this is one written by Michael Piller that was specifically about the writing of the movie and announced at the time of the movie's release but never published.

13. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

There's such a thing as pricing yourself out of the market. They could price it at $10,000.00 and lots of people could still afford it, but they wouldn't sell any copies. Furthermore, they'd alienate the very people who keep the franchise alive. Hmmmm, yeah I guess I still love Star Trek, but Star Wars is starting to look a lot more appealing...and did you see the trailer for Rogue One...?

14. Brefugee

I am aware of such things, what I was hoping for was a reason why @Reanok felt the price was unjustified in their opinion.

Yes I have, I fail to see the relivence of such a question on the conversation of the price of a Star Trek book.

15. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Who still does that "you have to like Star Trek or Star Wars, you can't like both" stuff? It's not a zero sum game, no one is going to go "well Star Wars looks neat and this one book about a movie most of the fandom isn't keen on anyway is a really high price, better not like Star Trek anymore". And I don't mean "no one" in any sort of idiomatic sense, I am saying that I am entirely certain that not a single person on the entire planet will use the price of this one book as even a subconscious influence as to whether or not to participate in Star Trek fandom.

16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

:lol:

And most of the fandom will probably not even hear of this book to begin with, so it most likely couldn't even be a potential factor if it doesn't even enter their awareness.

There's a lot of Star Trek merchandise I wish I could afford, but can't. The thought that this could make me somehow not like Star Trek itself just boggles my mind.

17. Arpy

Are you guys kidding me? The point is that I'm not going to spend as much of my time on stuff that makes itself inaccessible to me. Obviously you can have multiple franchise interests, but Trek books don't have to be a part of my Trek interest if they price themselves out, and other merchandise from other franchises will get my dollars. And the more time I'm spending on others does translate to less of my money going into Trek.

18. Brefugee

Not in the slightest, if I ask a question, although I don't always expect an answer will be forthcoming, I won't ask something with the intention of not "listening" to it.

Good for you and cheers for clarifying your point.

19. Arpy

Not everyone needs things explained for them so simply. Don't be a dick.

20. Brefugee

I beg your pardon? I thank you for something (given your original response to me made no sense what so ever) and you come out with that truly unneeded comment.