Are you a Star Trek fan?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Warped9, Apr 21, 2008.

1. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

2. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

What he said. :)

In truth, I think the rest of fandom is more eager to kick us out than we are to remove ourselves...as if kicking us out would eliminate all criticism of the other shows and everyone else would live happily ever after in complete agreement that all the other Trek shows were all A+++ great 100% of the time.

Or...at least that's the way we are treated by some fans..... :(

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

^ Yeah, I actually tried to elaborate on that hostility in the Misc thread yesterday.

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I admit that I have a hatred of one particular series, but I am still a fan of Star Trek. I actually watched all the episodes of that series, and still walked away hating it. However, I don't hate the fans who like it. I don't even hate them for liking it.
    I tried to like the last series, too. Even watched every episode on Sci-Fi Channel to no avail.
    I don't think it is right to claim "ass-kissing" because someone likes something you haven't even seen or don't like. I will never resort to name-calling just because someone has a different opinion.

5. NCC-2725

NCC-2725 Ensign Red Shirt

Am I a ST fan?

I have never been as excited to see a new series as I was in the Summer of 1966. The NBC promos showing the NCC-1701 doing a flyby of a planet were tremendously exciting to my 12 year old self.

However, there are still episodes of TOS I have never seen. By the third season TOS had gotten boring and stupid. Spock's Brain?!?!? Wink of an Eye?!?!?

I watched TNG for a few seasons, but around season 4 or 5 they did two "dream sequence" episodes in a row and I realized that the entire Star Trek universe was bankrupt of imagination. The very name "Deep Space 9" was moronic - I mean, what we used to call the far away North West Territories is now Ohio. Today's "Deep Space" is tomorrow's just down the street. I watched some episodes of DS9 anyway, but got annoyed by the Space Jews and other plot inanities. I have never seen an episode of Voyager - just seeing a photo of Neelix was enough to keep me away. I gave ENT a really good try. I *wanted* to like it, but couldn't handle more than a couple of episodes. ::headdesks::

The movies: TWoK was the high point. The best depiction of ship on ship space combat Trek has ever seen. Nemesis and Insurrection were so bad I was glad to see the franchise die a well deserved death. I met a guy who worked on ST XI. He couldn't tell me anything specific (NDA), but he was wildly enthusiastic. He described it as "Star Wars meets Blade Runner, with Star Trek characters".

I cringed.

I fear the worst.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Can you two knock it off?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  7. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I just cringed and feared the worst too. But for entirely different reasons.

8. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

Well, he IS an ass kisser.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I cringe with thee.

I fear:
    Trek 90210
    The Adventures of the Young James Kirk
    Star Trek Academy
    Trek predestiny story
    More contrived time travel
    More b.s. technobabble
    Nonsensical phaser battles
    Starships that fly like jet aircraft
    Starships that look like they wandered off a Star Wars movie
    Making everything cute and tidy
    Being consistent with ENT and therefore not consistent with TOS

Everything bad we've had since the '80s to the nth degree.

Actually I don't really fear those things because I don't care what they do anymore. I have the Star Trek I like and they can't take it away from me.

I've just come to accept that the kind of Star Trek I'd like to see is very unlikely to appear ever again. The best chance that I could see what I'd like is for something else to come along that isn't Trek, but perpetuates what I loved about the original.

10. Alidar Jarok

I missed this

That's not even close to necessary. One Warning for Trolling

11. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Maybe he's confusing DS9 with this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekodkuw1hgE&feature=related

12. Michael

:rommie: I love the ship design!

13. NCC-2725

NCC-2725 Ensign Red Shirt

Warning noted. Please point me to the thread which discusses the greedy, avaricious, money grubbing Ferengi in positive, uplifting tones so I may apologize for offending them.

14. Michael

^ :rolleyes: I don't think this helps your case.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I definitely consider myself a Trek fan. Everyone who likes anything Trek (be it shows, films, books, comics, or whatever) can be.

It doesn't matter one damn bit *what* Trek you like. You are not less of a Trek fan if your favorite Trek show is something other than TOS :rolleyes: , or if you liked Nemesis just as much as First Contact. It's ALL good.

16. Alidar Jarok

Oh come on, I just told you guys to knock it off. One Warning for Flaming, send comments via PM

I'll leave this thread open, since all but a few people are being civil.

17. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Referring to them as "Space Jews" is really offensive. I don't know how anyone couldn't have a problem with that. I certainly do.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And it's exactly the same tune as this. Apparently Mel Brooks only knows one song. :p

19. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I'm very confused.

Do you attach these connotations to Jewish people? Or do you feel that the portrayal of Ferengi in Star Trek reinforced a stereotype which you do not appreciate?

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I take it as an insult to a wonderful people, my ancestors who survived attempted extermination.