Are there 2 Klingon Homeworlds post-Undiscovered Country?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Citiprime, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I actually learnt Klingon when I was younger from the Conversational Klingon audio cassette and companion book… much good that did me. Now, imagine if I had put just as much time in to learning a proper language like French or German when I was at school… I’d probably be living in Paris now, or Ottawa. :shrug:

2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I think I remember about as much from the five years of learning French as I remember from the five hours of learning Klingon...

Kilana2 likes this.
  3. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I could not be bothered learning French or German when I was younger, but I did learn Klingon to a level where I would have been able to get around on Qo’noS. I still remember quite a lot of it even now. I have never met anyone else who can speak Klingon though, I can’t even make a joke out of it with friends because they would think that I am mad, not realising that Klingon is a real language (of sorts). :shrug:

Luckily, as an adult I have learnt Mandarin and Sanskrit, so if nothing else I will say that my interest in the Klingon language made me interested in other languages… but not when it counted. :klingon:

Ogrebear and Jinn like this.
  4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, it wasn’t necessarily an “Earth name” until Discovery season 2 revealed that, in an unlikely coincidence, not only did the Klingon word Qo’noS sound like the Greek word “khronos,” it also meant the same thing, too.

5. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So are there 2 Klingon Homeworlds post-Undiscovered Country or not?

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No there aren't. Thread done.

Morpheus 02 and Richard S. Ta like this.
  7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

DIS S2 did no such thing. The Klingon time crystals were located on Boreth, not Qo'noS.

8. David cgc

"For most Klingons, the [time crystals] are a myth, symbol of Kahless, namesake of Qo'noS, but for those of us here, the power of the crystals are very real."

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Err, umm... maybe Qo'noS is Klingon for Crystal? ;)

David cgc likes this.
  10. David cgc

Eh, why not? The connection is fuzzy enough as it is, the Klingon word for the crystals was poH qut. Maybe the line was written before their Klingon consultant figured out what "time crystal" would be in Klingon, and that it and the name of the planet would actually sound nothing alike, but it stayed in for the "explanation" of why the planet is still named "Time" even outside the movie with all the symbolism and discussion of the future.

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Touché! Good catch. I think it didn't stick in my memory because I just assumed "namesake of Qo'noS" referred to Kahless rather than to the time crystals.

12. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

Another question. Did the destruction of Praxis cause the Klingons to lose their aggressive tendencies? After TUC, we see the Klingons becoming less and less agressive, almost to the point of being, human.

Did the natural environmental factors of Praxis cause the Klingons to be over aggressive?

13. Christopher

Hardly. What are you basing that on? Sure, "Heart of Glory" assumed that the Klingons had renounced conquest and people like Korris who craved their old warrior ways were throwbacks and outlaws. It even implied that the Klingons had joined the Federation But later Klingon episodes in TNG, DS9, and VGR ignored that and showed that the Klingons were just as warlike and bloodthirsty as ever, to the point that it became implausible that the Federation would accept them as allies.

The only thing that changed after Praxis is that the Klingons needed the Federation's help to survive and thus entered into detente with them. Just because they're aggressive doesn't mean they're stupid -- as Kang said, "Only a fool fights in a burning house." But apparently the detente remained tenuous for the next 50 years, because "Yesterday's Enterprise" revealed that the Klingons would've invaded the Federation if the Enterprise-C hadn't come to the rescue of a Klingon colony at Narendra III in 2344. That rescue was apparently the event that led to a firm peace treaty between the powers, since the Klingons were impressed by Starfleet's heroic sacrifice in their defense.

Ogrebear likes this.
  14. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

When he was approximately four years old, Su'Kal inadvertently caused the Burn when he emitted a powerful psychic shockwave, which triggered the nearby dilithium. Did an extended exposure to dilithium resonance on Praxis cause the early Klingons to experience very aggressive traits of destruction and domination? Su'Kal had the psychic ability to use dilithium as a weapon, a resonance wave that affected all ships using dilithium as a source of tuning a plasm stream.

The opposite of the psychic ability to use dilithium as a weapon could be that when dilithium is close to a constant source of exterior resonance, the wavelengths created by a planets active core, the tuning of the plasma within the core of the planet by dilithium could emanate outwards from the core of the planet causing evolution changes in the DNA of the Klingon, as well as boosting their overall aggressiveness, over millions of years of evolution.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. Given that aggression continues, especially in DS9 when they decide that invading Cardassia is a good idea and kill Starfleet officers who get in their way.
    Probably not, since we see aggressive behavior and combat oriented traditions continue on after Praxis' destruction.

16. Christopher

No, I meant, whatever gave you the idea that Klingons became less aggressive after the Praxis explosion? They very clearly did not, as was abundantly proven on TNG, DS9, and VGR. Since that never happened, there is no need to concoct an explanation for it.

Also, your logic here makes no sense whatsoever. Su'Kal's interaction with the dilithium did not alter his personality.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Sci and fireproof78 like this.
  17. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

Yeah, but it's strange that the TUC novelization still used Klinzhai as the name of the klingon homeworld...

publiusr likes this.
  18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Maybe that's the name of the home star system.

Praxis laid waste to Kronos (sic) and an outer world (Kazh) where TOS Klingons made home prior to ridge reconstructive surgery. Kazh is home to Ford's Klingons we will say, with a handful of Kronos imperial Klingons running the joint as thought-admirals. Kronos has the home shogunate of warring factions. Kazh is their DC comics style warworld---that's my head canon at least.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  19. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

Great idea, but alternatively what about making the culture of the Ford Klingons something unique for the augment klingons. Perhaps developed by them during the decades after "Affliction" on Kazh?

publiusr likes this.
  20. Christopher

Except the Ford Klingons implicitly had ridges, despite the cover art. Ford explained the TOS-style Klingons as Klingon-human fusions engineered to deal with humans, along similar lines to the Imperial Chinese policy "Use barbarians to deal with barbarians."

Although you can't really reconcile The Final Reflection with modern canon, since it uses the timeline and history of the Spaceflight Chronology, which differs radically from what TNG-era canon established.