April 2021 Art Challenge: Big in Japan

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rekkert, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

I've been getting more and more into SciFi anime lately, so I thought that I could make this month's challenge to apply the style of a Japanese SciFi franchise to an element of Star Trek!

It could be a ship redesign to look like something out of Gundam, a poster for Trek in the style of Akira, heck even how Starfleet would respond to a Godzilla attack! Any mix of elements between Trek and Japanese SciFi that you can come up with! Doesn't necessarily have to be a mix with a specific franchise, something just using a fitting style as a base is perfect as well! As an example of this last point, take this redesign of the Enterprise using a generic Japanese SciFi look, by Damon Moran.

Hope this is apt for the challenge and not something that was done before, sorry if it was. :)

As usual, these rules apply for this contest (from the Art Challenge Guidelines):
    • the artwork you submit should be created during the month of the challenge
    • only one final image can be submitted (although it may contain multiple views)
    • your final entry should be posted in this thread (although dedicated WIP threads are appreciated)

publiusr, Donny, Michael and 3 others like this.
  2. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

3. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Huh, funky, I was looking at some anime ships and was thinking along the same lines! Something about hollow rings as warp cores / warp nacelles just make them work.

4. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know if I'll have time to do it but I already have an idea.

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love Ori ships for the same reason. For in and others made ships from Gundam parts...the USS Val’Walo

7. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Well, if the entry didn't have to be original, I'd enter this image that I did a year or so ago.

[​IMG]

With everything going on in my life right now, I don't think I'll have time to come up with anything better.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

9. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

Cyfa, Rainard Fox, Orac and 1 other person like this.
  10. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

11. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Windows Update ate a model I was working on but didn't have the chance to save before I rushed to a dentist appointment. So... I don't know if I'll be able to make it this round.

12. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

^ Depends on your definition of “young”, I guess. That photo is from a publicity shot from Homicide: Life on the Street, which means Kotto must have been in his mid-fifties at that point. :)

gazomg likes this.
  14. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Had an idea but I'm just not going to get it done this month alas.

15. Rainard Fox

Rainard Fox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I did my best :alienblush:
    Full Metal Panic series as a source.

[​IMG]

16. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

I wonder how many grade school kids have envisioned this whacked out "mash-up", Godzilla versus the Enterprise?

The starship is by Makofish, the 1962 Godzilla is from 2009MechaGodzilla and the Starbase 11 buildings...uh, I can't recall where I found them or who modeled them, sorry.

Cyfa, Finn, Michael and 3 others like this.
  17. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    [​IMG] Here's my hat in the ring: Uchū tanken-ka (Space Explorer) Enterprise!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    publiusr, Cyfa, Michael and 3 others like this.
  18. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. Capt. Eric Gardner

Capt. Eric Gardner Cadet Newbie

[​IMG]
    You all know the story of the Defiant, right? What if, bare with me, it split into different versions of the ship? You saw one that ended up in the Mirror Universe (as seen in "In the mirror, darkly" and a few Season 1 episodes of Discovery), and another that was occupied by James Kirk in Star Trek Continues "Still Treads the Shadow"...BUT...what if one of them went back in time and went sideways, and crashed on Mars...before the Garmillan War kicked off? The result: This crazy yet exciting alternate adventures of Juno Okita, Susumu Kodai, Yuki Mori and the crew of the Earth Federation's symbol of hope: The U.S.S Yamato

Supplied with alien technology from Iscandar, this Constitution-class starship (later re-dubbed the Yamato-class in honor of the battleship Yamato of 1944) would travel to the Large Magellanic Cloud and back to save the Earth in one years time while evading, and if necessary, battle against the Garmillas with its signature weapon: The Wave-Motion Cannon; located at the Deflector dish.

Name: U.S.S. Yamato
    Class: Constitution (re-dubbed as Yamato-class)
    Registry: NCC-2199
    Weapons: 16x phaser strips, 4x duel phaser emplacements, 8x triple phaser emplacements, 3x photon torpedo launchers, 4x single phaser emplacements, 1x Wave Motion Cannon based off of Wave Motion technology
    Speed: Unlimited due to the Wave Motion Core

Credits

Parts used: MihoshiK
    New fonts: Me
    Star Trek: Gene Roddenberry, NBC/Paramount/CBS
    Yamato: Yoshinobu Nishizaki and Leiji Matsumoto

I wanted to post their signature uniforms for this AU Series, but I'm limited to one post, so this will be my star

publiusr, Cyfa and Orac like this.
  20. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Not many :lol: