Anyone still build models?

Still a WIP, but atleast I've got the paint finished. This little kit has fought me the whole way, but it has still been fun. That said, it has gaps I swear you could drive a shuttlepod through. My next kit, I think i'm gonna try my hand with putty and filling in the seams, something I've never tried.

Regardless, I decided to sorta "go my own way" with the paint scheme. I threw out any reference material and just painted it in a way I thought looked good. I figured, being the canonical look of the refit is somewhat up in the air, it would be ok. Though the ring around the saucer is definitely a nod to the DSC/SNW look of the 1701.

Still have weathering to do before the decals, which I think will really bring out the look I'm going for.

Stay Tuned!

xkd8Xhs.jpeg
iYFnMLJ.jpeg

Oh, that looks good! I like the more TOS paint scheme - and the ring! Will you leave all the portholes/windows lit, or will you turn some of them off (i.e. paint them black/drak grey etc.) as with your 1701 model?

Actually, while I'm asking questions, how long did it take you to get to this stage in the process? Is it about the same for each model? And about how long to completely finish it? Thanks :)

Oh, that looks good! I like the more TOS paint scheme - and the ring! Will you leave all the portholes/windows lit, or will you turn some of them off (i.e. paint them black/drak grey etc.) as with your 1701 model?

Actually, while I'm asking questions, how long did it take you to get to this stage in the process? Is it about the same for each model? And about how long to completely finish it? Thanks :)

Hey, thanks for the kind words. I think I'll keep the windows all white, if only because I kinda like the look of it. As for how long it has taken, I'd say about 3 weeks. Granted, that's only working on it for maybe an hour or two a few days a week. I've got a 5 year old so working on models is usually something I can do at night, while everyone is asleep.

That's the NX-01 Refit complete. Despite being the worst model I've built since the 90's, complete with the most fragile decals I've ever seen, I'm still pretty happy with the results.

If I were to ever build a refit NX again, I think I would go even further with trying to get its paint scheme to invoke the look of both the Original Series Enterprise and the SNW Enterprise. Leaning more towards SNW.

Now I move onto The Kelvin, where I plan on trying out a few more advanced techniques like an aztec paint job, filling in the seams, and maybe even a lighting kit.

We'll see.

TVqhBfj.jpeg
TvzctZw.jpeg
yhH9WEd.jpeg

That's the Kelvin all finished. My 7th model since I rejoined the hobby after a decades long absence. Really enjoyed this build and Moebius Models are quickly becoming a favourite. Shame they didn't do more Trek ships beyond the Kelvin and the Franklin. This was my first time ever even attempting to do "aztecing" and I gotta say I'm pretty pleased with the results.

qCxnBLg.jpeg
3dglb9Q.jpeg
6qLPuT1.jpeg
9AJjrKZ.jpeg

Looking very good!
For being out of it for awhile your skills are still quite good.
As for the original question, yep I build models. Started at 5 and haven't quit.
I build the occasional trek kit, but mostly gundams kits.
I do quite alot in 3d with trek though. And have a printer.
Hope your having fun, and good luck to your family!

Looking very good!
For being out of it for awhile your skills are still quite good.
As for the original question, yep I build models. Started at 5 and haven't quit.
I build the occasional trek kit, but mostly gundams kits.
I do quite alot in 3d with trek though. And have a printer.
Hope your having fun, and good luck to your family!
Thank you very much. I've been taking a look at 3D printers lately and I am intrigued by the possibilities. Don't know if I'm ready to pull that trigger just yet, but I'm interested. Lots of ships I'd love to build that don't have licensed kits.

Back