Anyone Feel a Little Sorry for Anthony Daniels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by HugeLobes, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. jamie718

jamie718 Cadet Newbie

anthony daniels truly is self centered asshole. had a bad experience with him a while ago. so rude and nasty

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a story that Daniels once (perhaps un-)jokingly flipped off Alan Tudyk, who got to wear a simple motion-cap suit while playing K2SO while Daniels had that whole costume on all the time.

I'm not sure how serious Daniels was, but Tudyk took this as a great compliment, and said that getting a "Fuck you" from Daniels was high praise indeed.

4. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Surprised to see this thread resurrected. I'm pretty convinced that Daniels is not a great guy, though maybe he's lovely in his private life.

That said, I still feel bad for him getting paired with Kenny Baker for interviews. Baker seems like a solid chap, but he didn't 'play' R2D2, and if I was Daniels I'd have been ticked off that the credits and the public in general rated their contributions at the same level.

Kinda feel the same about David Prowse, but he at least contributed something to Darth Vader.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Baker did play R2-D2. A kid could not do what he did. It takes a lot of strength to move the robot or even to turn his head.. the strength Baker had as an adult. The very best shots of R2-D2 ating are the shots done with Baker in the suit, and having him give an emotional response to something happening. Plus it's just about honoring and respecting the different types of talent that went into making the films.

You can say all day that Baker didn't do anything to deserve being cited for playing the role. In the same breath you will give other actors credit for wearing a silly suit and doing mo-cap, or say Scarlett Johanson did anything in "Her" when all she did was stay in a soundbooth for an afternoon

6. HugeLobes

Well, just because a child couldn't do it doesn't mean it's acting. I'm not saying Baker didn't have a tough job, but it's a stretch to say what he did was acting. He just operated R2-D2. There were also people inside Jabba the Hutt moving different parts of the body, but they didn't really 'play' Jabba. David Prowse and Peter Mayhew didn't put that much into each character, but the way they moved at least contributed to their characterisation.

Even if you're saying that Kenny Baker did play R2-D2, he clearly wasn't bringing as much to that role as Daniels did to Threepio. Daniels had to voice him and move his body in the right way. He also pretty much reinvented the character Lucas originally had in mind. I just don't see how R2-D2 would have been any different if another person had been in there making him move.

But you look at actors in a mo-cap suit and they're obviously doing something to bring that character to life. Same for people in a soundbooth - that's why it's called voice acting. To be clear, I'm not saying that Baker deserves no credit for what he did, just that I can see why Daniels resented the equal billing. Even got equal billings for the prequels when Baker did almost nothing!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

He does? Link?

8. HugeLobes

For the 'equal billing'? Just check out the credits sequences.

9. CorporalCaptain

I know what Baker's billing is. You said Daniels resents it. I asked you for a link about whether Daniels resents it. Do you have one?

10. HugeLobes

Well, I wasn't 100% what you were asking for. I don't have a link where Daniels explicitly states 'I resent Kenny Baker's position in the credits', but I don't think it's a leap to infer his position given the comments he's made over the years. I've read a few articles that suggest Daniels didn't really respect what Baker did, but I can't find all of them right now. You get that suggestion from articles like:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...3PO-R2D2-feud-actor-Anthony-Daniels-interview
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2...a-bucket-a-history-of-the-feud-between-antho/

I guess it's summed up by this quote: 'His name is on the credits as a sort of… I don’t know, a good luck charm, a courtesy. He’s a talisman.’ That was about the prequels, but it seems to sum up his feelings. To be honest, Daniels has exercised a lot more restraint talking about Baker than Baker did talking about him.

Express article: 'As for their work, Daniels bluntly gives his opinion of the differences in their roles and performances. The subtext is that Daniels clearly believes nobody else could take his place in the golden suit, but may not think the same about R2-D2.'

11. CorporalCaptain

So, that's a "no." You're putting words into Daniels' mouth regarding supposed resentment of Baker's position in the credits.

12. HugeLobes

I'm also backing up what I said with words from his own mouth that strongly suggest that resentment, but whatever. If you like, I'll change to 'I can see why Daniels might have resented the equal billing'.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently Daniels and Baker did not get along...
    Source

14. HugeLobes

There was a TV show a few years ago where someone tried to organize a Star Wars reunion. I'm pretty sure Kenny Baker said he wouldn't go if Daniels went. Again, as much it seems that Daniels can be rude, Kenny is actually much ruder about him when speaking to the press.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Look I see the point.. That Baker wasn't really acting.. but.. if there was anything to it, it should have been contested 40 years ago when the film came out.

Yet that's not what happened. The filmed changed everyone, it really changed culture.. the bleak cynicism of the 70s.. and they walked out of the movie celebrating heroism and adventure and spirit.. "I believe I believe" and, however Baker is listed in the credits is ultimately insignificant to the fact that he had a part to play in a movie that was unlike any other. And no one complained for years.

But now we are back in a cynicism that is worse than that of the 70s''...it's cynicism where people can't possibly talk, walk, or write a credits list without walking on eggshells for fear they will offend someone and the fear of the power of shit like Twitter.

In my opinion, it was a tradition to put Baker's name next to Daniels. I mean shit, Daniels shouldn't complain.. he should be happy to play such an important character.. he should be happy that he contributed creatively to these films, and he should be grateful that he can perform highway robbery to the fanbase by sitting at a table and demanding$90 for his signature and another $100 for a cell phone snapshot

Ungrateful... he is

16. HugeLobes

Yeah, I agree. I don't think Baker's name should be scrubbed from the credits or anything, but I can also see why Daniels might not have valued his contribution as much as others have over the years.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Personally, I'd put everyone first, the guy's inside Jabba, the incredible modelmakers, the people that developed the motion control rig.. ALL those people were really pushing the envelope on the original films, unknowingly changing cinema forever. I'd give them all top billing. Of course that makes no sense.. because then all the credits would smooshed in one line.

My point.. I look at the credits as the closest way we can celebrate what is good about Star Wars.. and now, 40 years later people decide to trample on the poor man's grave by even suggesting that he should not have the place he had in the credits for all those films??

What the hell has it come to?

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

He flipped off Frank Skinner too at a Movie premiere. For those who don't know, Frank Skinner is a famous british comedian and was somewhat enthusiastic meeting Daniels who gave him the finger in 3PO style as he was departing.

I read in the Making of the Empire Strikes back that he called R2D2 "Star Trek - the ashtray". He does seem a little on his high horse from what I have read about him. Still, C3PO. Legend.

HugeLobes likes this.
  19. HugeLobes

The image of Threepio flipping off Frank Skinner has made my day.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, I've never been real clear on how much of what we saw R2 do was Baker and how much was done through remote control.