Anybody Else Find The Kirk/Spock/Mccoy Scenes In TFF Fantastic?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by slappy, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Thowra

Thowra Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't know. TUC has some nice moments involving the three. Like that bittersweet scene with Kirk and Spock near the end: "Could it be that we've outlived our usefulness?" Etc.

And you've got the bit where Spock and McCoy team up to perform "surgery" on the modified torpedo, where they're working together quite effectively.

And the bit where McCoy rolls his eyes when Kirk gets it on with yet another alien babe . . ..

Lots of nice Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments in that movie, reflecting their long friendship and history. IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with these moments, all good. I suppose I'm just left wanting more of them!

Maybe it's more to do with the acknowledgement that things are winding down for them - the sadness that their era is coming to an end (I want the good old humour to lift my spirits):shrug::confused:

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes me cringe every time. Sure, where else would the CMO be while the crew is getting shot up?

3. Trimm

Trimm Captain Captain

I think I'd take the "dining on ashes" scene in TUC over anything in TFF. The campfire stuff in TFF is cringeworthy, and the brig scene seems to involve Shatner and Kelley taking a round of uppers before they filmed it.

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Crewmember station goes out the window for effective and emotional storytelling. It was meant as a nice moment for Spock and McCoy for everyone in the audience (or watching the movie on video) who even remotely knew about the nature of their relationship over the years.

Besides, how many times over the years has McCoy been on the bridge when he had no business being there in the first place? Contrast that with how many times we saw Dr. Crusher on the bridge (unless it was necessary), or the EMH, or Dr. Phlox. McCoy was away from his station a lot more than all three of the latter put together. (That's talking about being on the bridge....not on an away mission.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  5. Shark

Shark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah those scenes make the movie.

6. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This, basically. The serious scenes are great, and I love McCoy stressing out about Kirk's daredevil ways, but the movie is waggling its eyebrows at the audience much too much. Just cut out the jokes and it would be a better movie.

I do like the idea of a nostalgic camp-out with old friends (though I hate the idea of camping...).

7. Captain_Koloth

Captain_Koloth Commander Red Shirt

For me the single McCoy's father/Spock's birth etc scene makes the entire rest of the mostly lousy movie worth watching. It saves the film. I'm not exaggerating, I like it that much.

8. eyeresist

:techman:

And this:

Search4 likes this.
  9. martok2112

And this:
    Although they should've edited that to reflect the loss of Kirk's human brother, George. I believe the comic book adaptation of Trek V actually got it right.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The problem with that is that referencing George Kirk would've confused the 90% percent of the movie audience who didn't remember "Operation--Annihilate!" and would've have had no idea what other brother Kirk was talking about. "George Kirk" was a footnote who had nothing to do with the plot of STAR TREK V. So why clutter up your big emotional finale by dragging up an obscure bit of Trek trivia?

There's a great quote from Saki that I love: "An ounce of inaccuracy sames a ton of explanation." I think that applies here: That scene wasn't about George Kirk. It was about Kirk and Spock.

But, yeah, I love that first exchange between Spock and Sybok, which is a nice acknowledgement of Spock's growth and evolution as a character.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  11. martok2112

You're correct on that score, and I shall have to remember that quote....for that does ring very true...and it shall help me in my future tribute film endeavors. :)

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

And for those of us who would understand the George Kirk reference, it makes the quote about a "brother" more powerful in that Spock means more to James Kirk than his own brother might have.

13. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I admit I thought of Sam when he said that, but let's take a moment and look at when each event happened.

Sam died about 25+ years before this, Spock had died and was "reborn" about 5 years ago. I'm not saying that Jim had forgot about Sam, but he had passed much longer ago than what happened to Mr. Spock.

14. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From the moment I saw that scene, I knew he meant Spock when he said brother. It's what makes the scene so good. It shows what these 3 men meant to each other.

15. Shark

I think the thing that really hurts Star Trek V are the wonky effects. If they'd had better effects I think most people would forgive the odd choices.

Unlike most I suspect, I find all those oddities in TFF to be more of a draw than a drawback.

16. eyeresist

I don't really mind the effects. They are at least as good as the effects in TOS, and do the job of telling the story.

17. Shark

I agree for the most part. I just think that is what turned most people off.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Trek V should be erased from reality and a special edit of the camping trip added to the Trek 4 or 6 Blurays as bonus material.

19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems a lot of people get fired up about the "brother" comment and think that it completely ignores Kirk's brother Sam.

I for one never gave it a second thought. Kirk said "I lost A brother once," and went on to be clear that he was talking about Spock. He did not say "I lost MY brother once" which would have implied something completely different.

I think it's just another nit-pick area people who already don't like the movie like to poke at.

20. eyeresist

I think the problem was tone and structure.