another new season 2 trailer and poster

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by pst, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I don't remember him being more than slightly uneasy but I'm sure the image was constructed from more than just imagination.

Even so, he's siding with evil much more evidently in this version so the old Trek doesn't matter, again.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You'll get no argument from me that this version of the character is its own thing. A popular name attached to a character to gain attention.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sisko said that when he tried to ask around about Section 31, that every one who he asked answered like they didn't want to talk about it.

There's two ends to Section 31, the great results and the dirty deeds to get there. Some people in the federation, a lot of people, reap the benefits of Section 31, without really looking too closely at what was done to the rest of the universe to make their life a tiny bit easier.

Section 31 is Santa Claus, but you don't want to know how many elves die each year from bleeding fingers in that sweatshop at the top of the world.

BillJ likes this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

And don't forget the amazing transformation Harry Mudd had: from cold-blooded killer and homicidal maniac to bumbling, jovial con man in just ten years! If he can do it, there's no stopping Pike from having a complete personality change!

Exactly. Like, I dunno...Spock maybe? ;)

5. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

Glad I´m not the only one who is doing this sort of jokes. For me, Discovery screamed "Mass Effect" from the very beginning.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  6. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

It should be noted that the Orion Syndicate is a later invention. Nothing in The Cage/Menagerie indicates that an "Orion trader" is a gangster. The original understanding of the scene would be like a 19th Century American sea captain talking about becoming a trader in Hong Kong or Singapore.

Why would Pike think she's a genocidal tyrant? Nobody outside the Discovery crew and a few admirals should know about the Mirror Universe. Considering he calls her "Captain," he probably thinks she's the original Georgiou, a la the cover story Cornwell gave last season.

PT109, Rhodan and Lord Garth like this.
  7. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Couldn't agree more about this part!

In the last 10 years or so, when all Trek we had were the Kelvin-timeline movies, the fan concensus on the Internet was basically "Star Trek works better on television". So everyone was excited when a new series was announced.

But alas, it seems we didn't got a Trek "television" show. What we got, was just another by-the-numbers Star Trek action movie, only stretched out over 13 hours instead of 2.

Yeah, absolutely. I loved the "there's freakin' shit happenening out there, let's science the shit out of that!"-premise MUCH more than the "we have to save the universe. Again."

I'm not sure, is "saving every living being in the galaxy" an upping of the stakes (from the destruction of Earth and humankind by the klingons), or a step down (from having to save the entire multiverse??).

Jadeb, Rhodan and Spaceship Jo like this.
  8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, and you can tell the WHOLE ST: D Season 2 story and how bad it will ultimately be from 3 two minute (or so) Trailers and one 30 second Teaser...right.

9. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

Mudd tried to kill the Enterprise crew. Just because the episode played him as a fool doesn't make him any less homicidal.

NeoStar9, PT109 and fireproof78 like this.
  10. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Aka the "let's go over there and poke the weird thing with a stick!" premise. (It appeals to my inner five-year-old.) :p

It's both! Star Trek Discovery: somehow both over and under acheiving.

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'm talking about his difference in personality, not whether he was a bad man or not.

12. Rahul

My 5 main take-aways from the trailer:
    1. The visual effects look SO. MUCH. better than in S1. It looks... really good.
    2. Section 31 is the official Trek spy agency at this point. I don't like it, considering how S31 originally started out on DS9 - but it's the only shady spy organization Trek writers know at this point, so they'll gonna' use it. Has nothing to do with prime or so though - had we gotten a post-Nemesis show, my guess is S31 would have appeared there as well
    3. I'm a little bit disappointed: Saving all the life in the Galaxy feels much more generic than let's research this freaky space-phenomen
    4. Oh Fuck. It's going to be full evangelical "red angels vs. black demons", isn't it? Shit shit shit...Trek never should have hired faith-based movie writers! What's next? "Star Trek: God's not dead?":barf2:
    5. Despite that: I like the tone very much! Feels a lot like Star Trek. Colorfull, adventurous, serious but not too serious, and occasionally funny. Not like the best Star Trek. But at least entertaining.

Jadeb and Spaceship Jo like this.
  13. Rahul

:guffaw:

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even in Star Trek, the Federation seems to be the only ones who do things that way. When Section 31 was introduced on DS9, they are described as the Federation's equivalent to the Tal Shiar and the Obsidian Order. Both of which are known to the public, and in the case of the Tal Shiar, answerable to the civilian government.
    Emotional Spock doesn't really bother me. It does bother me that Pike is making a big deal about Spock smiling, even though Pike already saw Spock smile in The Cage.
    The comics imply Kelvin Pike is actually a member of Section 31 and that promoting Kirk from Cadet to Captain is somehow part of their agenda.
    The follow-up to TFF we've all been waiting for.

Rhodan likes this.
  15. Spaceship Jo

Spaceship Jo Commander Red Shirt

I mean, I do this all the time: focus really hard on perfecting an element of a thing, and overachieving the shite out of it, but also totally flubbing other parts of the project.

Point of interest: I've never ever ever heard "overachiever" used without disdain. Even in the academic context in which it makes most sense as a positive. :shrug:

16. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy fuck, seriously? Jesus Christ.

I mean yes it's stupid and awful that Kirk keeps getting special treatment he never earns in that movie, just because he's Kirk and brand recognition needs him to be the captain. (Sorry, "destiny," because if we put a stupid name on it, it counts as the theme of our movie!) And while a further explanation of that would be nice, that is some serious Voodoo Shark material.

Damn.

cultcross, The Wormhole and BillJ like this.
  17. BillJ

But a couple of teasers isn't all we have. We also have the entirety of the first season to use as a basis. Big galaxy shaking story that goes nowhere. Cardboard characters. Fanwank out the wazoo. I hope that the Discovery team learns from the mistakes of season one, but I don't see it based on the trailers for season two.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read in an interview that Pike thinks it's original Georgiou, as per the official cover story from the end of season one. And Michael isn't allowed to explain... for some reason or other.

And the Orion fantasy was just that, a fantasy plucked from deep in his mind. He's only an asshole of he tries to make such dirty-old-man fantasies into reality.

TOS Pike is still a sexist prick, though.

19. BillJ

Can't spill the beans on the Mirror universe no one knows about until TOS. :shifty:

20. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Random thoughts:
    • That poster is very cool and reminds me of some of the TOS promo material. I really like the warmth and color, something I've found missing from Discovery in general.
    • I agree with the concern about the silly extinction-level threat to all life everywhere. Spoiler alert: Not going to happen. Just a pointless waste of screen time.
    • Having enjoyed the first trailer, I cringed at many of the returning elements from the first season. Georgiou and the Klingons and Ash ... I wish they'd been put on a shelf this year. Section 31 can be put on a shelf forever.
    • Spock and Pike both continue to look good, especially PIke. I liked Pike's line about how they're always in a fight for the future. Hurry up and announce the PIke show.
    • The shot of Discovery flying through space clouds looked cool. Probably goofy if I think about it, but I will cut them some slack. It was a nice contrast to the muddy space shots in the first season.
    • I enjoyed Spock telling Burnham to get over herself.
    • The attempts at humor -- Georgiou's "fun times" and Stamets' "of course it worked" -- landed with a clunk for me.
    • I wonder if they cut this trailer deliberately to contrast to the mea culpa we got earlier. That one assured fans this season would be more traditionally Trek, while this one seems to reassure Discovery fans it's still the same show.
    Overall, I find myself less hopeful for the season than I was before, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    saddestmoon and CaptainMurdock like this.