Animated Trek series coming to Nickelodeon

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by King Daniel Beyond, Feb 13, 2019.

1. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

Variety Link. I'm surprised it's for Nickelodeon and not CBS-AA.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the original article a few months ago where it was first revealed said it probably wouldn't be CBAA.

3. King Daniel Beyond

I can't help but think if they'd managed something like this 10 years ago, they may have had some of that elusive younger crowd coming to the Trek movies.

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't be the first time an animated Star Trek aired on Nickelodeon. The cable network once showed reruns of TAS.

5. plynch

plynch Commodore Commodore

What is the secret sauce making all this happen now and not 10 years ago? Moonves' departure? CBSAA needing content? Kismet?

6. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

People have been saying for years they need something like this, might be a bit late with all the Star Wars cartoons now.

7. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Commodore Commodore

"Star Wars is outcompeting us again. What do we do?"

"We can air a 'Star Trek' show. It's like Star Wars, but different somehow."

"Brilliant."

Works everytime.

King Daniel Beyond and Vger23 like this.
  8. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good idea: an animated Star Trek series aimed at younger people.

Bad idea: more idiots trying to force-fit Trek into the Star Wars mold.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/02/13/kid-focused-star-trek-cartoon-coming-to-nickelodeon/

WTF? Seriously guys? I try to be tolerant of writers and producers when they say and do dumbass stuff, but who would step on this frigging land mine again? "When I grew up I loved Star Wars, and Star Trek didn't interest me. So I'm going to make Star Trek like Star Wars...you know...so people will like it."

Exact quote:

I'm usually pretty positive. But this drives me batcrap crazy. Also- I started watching Trek when I was about 3. So, it's BS that it doesn't appeal to kids.

Damn....

SpocksOddSocks and Tim Thomason like this.
  9. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Speaking for myself, I actually disliked Star Trek and thought it was boring until I rediscovered it when I was 13 years old. I was a big Star Wars fan too. So I kind of relate to Kurtzman’s quote.

I personally think it’s about time Star Trek has an animated show for kids. And if it appeals to adults too, like Star Wars’ The Clone Wars and Rebels did, then even better.

10. plynch

plynch Commodore Commodore

TOS appealed to me a lot as a kid. Those were my heroes. It appealed to my children a generation later.

But yeah:
    "let's change the very essence of a thing, but call it by the same name" is a thing. Though the show might end up fine.

11. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree the idea is great, but I don't think they need to use Star Wars as a template. There's already a franchise like that.

It's called Star Wars.

And, I typically really like Kurtzman and love what he's done for Trek thus far. I just think this was a dumb misstep to say.

Honestly, I'm probably just overreacting. I love Star Wars too, and really all that matters is that it creates new blood in fandom. If it succeeds at that, I'll be pretty happy. So your point is taken.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think he's saying he wants everything about the show to be like Star Wars, just that one aspect of focusing on a youth pursuing a dream of the stars.

Not the very essence, just the emphasis. It sounds like the essence of seeking out adventure and discovery in the stars will be the same, just from the perspective of younger characters.

13. Donker

Donker Commander Red Shirt

Really holding out for an anime adaption at some point as well. This is just going to likely be a low budget CGI show for little kids in the same vein as Star Wars Detours so not something I'll be super interested in, but the concept of animated Star Trek is an interesting one due to what you can show with a much smaller budget.

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They are keeping it kind of in the family, as Nickelodeon is owned by Viacom.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Wait. But I thought Disco wasn't Star Trek because it's too mature for a younger audience?

16. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

Today, from Deadline and Variety, comes news that Nickelodeon is in negotiations for a Star Trek animated series. The series would come...

Continue reading...

17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Commodore Commodore

Vger didn't mention Discovery. Not everything is about Discovery. This is a new show, with a new showrunner, on a new network, and most likely new characters.

Nothing to do with Discovery.

Sigh.

18. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Might be good, might be awful, who knows.
    I'll give it a shot though.
    Am glad these things are happening, stretching the universe out to new places.

Keeper likes this.
  19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thread title is premature. The OP article says:

The new “Star Trek” universe could be expanding beyond CBS All Access.

Variety has learned that CBS Television Studios and Nickelodeon are negotiating for a new “Star Trek” animated series aimed at kids.​

CBS and Nickelodeon are in negotiations.

20. King Daniel Beyond

But will it be Č̨̤̗̜̫͈̙̰͐̊̒̐̋͗̊̅̇a̢̲̤͇̘̠̝̮̦̔͗̊̈́͑̀̑͊̇͘ͅǹ̨͉̞̞̬̝͍͙̯͛̈͐̍͋̎̉̅͝ͅȍ͈̗͙̘̠̺̣͙͓̺̒̏̀̈́̆̂̆̂͘ṅ̰̯̝͚̱̻̘̝̯̥̀̿̉̀͊̓̎̈́͗?

:p

ITDUDE, Jedman67, Kor and 1 other person like this.