Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador kit!

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by GodThingFormerly, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Andy Probert releases prelim plans for USS Ambassador ki

Note that I said "E-A", not "the refit."

Besides, we already know the internal arrangement of the refit. The -A is still a bit of a mystery, since the bridge kept changing and the engine room is completely unlike the TMP version.

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Well, that's only because the set designer changed and they built new sets.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Designer changed between 4 & 5, but not after, so changes from TFF onward are all under the aegeis of Zimmerman.

4. Data Holmes

Well... Ok got me there. But the changes between 5 and 6 were director based. :thumbsup:

5. Adagio

Adagio Captain Captain

I thought that this was going to be for the Ambassador class as seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise", at first. When I saw the pics, I was.....less than thrilled, to be sure.

6. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

The "Yesterday's Enterprise" Enterprise has already been realized in kit form -- both licensed and unlicensed. This is the first time that Probert's version of the Ambassador-class starship will be realized in 3D -- both in the virtual world and in the real world as a model kit.

No design is everyone's cup of tea. Fortunately it's a big Trekniverse, one in which each of us can find something that we like. This ship happens to be one of the somethings that I like. :)

7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

That, and there were those TNG sets sitting there not being used, what with the midseason hiatus and all...

8. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland

Updated!

If one may ask, what function/s are those blue panels on the dorsal surfaces of the warp nacelles intended to serve?

Thank you kindly, Andrew and hutt. My knowledge - such as it is - of speculative astronautics is merely the result of a childhood (and now adulthood) misspent collecting and pondering the volumes of technical writings generated by noted pioneers in the field ranging from Tsiolkovsky to Ehricke. It must be said, Andrew, that the unmatched aesthetic elegance and technological verisimilitude of your hardware design work on ST:TMP was in large part responsible for triggering my disorder. ;)

Technical background? Undergrad degrees in physics and electrical engineering from UNSW (Australia), a masters in applied mathematics along with a few credits of graduate coursework in observational cosmology from UCLA before becoming gainfully employed in various brief and generally uninspired low-level astrodynamics, satellite constellation design and orbital debris analysis positions with SAIC, SS/Loral and The Aerospace Corporation. In 2001 I landed - thanks to a most improbable application of nepotism - a terrific gig as a satellite systems design engineer at Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems (Sunnyvale, CA). Currently I am on an academic sabbatical from LockMart in order to complete my aerospace engineering doctorate at UPenn while also serving as an occasional consultant on LM's end of the GPS/Galileo integration program at their Valley Forge facility. :)

TGT

9. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shaping up rapidly, though not quite as I imagined.

I do hope it's possible to have the nacelle pylons blend seamlessly into the hull as they do in the painting. Not only does it make sense from a visual-evolution standpoint, it's gorgeous.

And thank you for the package. ;)

10. FalTorPan

Perhaps they're the next generation of the longitudinal "slats" of unknown purpose which run along the tops of the Excelsior's nacelles. Maybe they're place holders for actual longitudinal slats.

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

11. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess is that they are your basic power stage magnatomic flux chillers.

Or maybe just glowing blue slat things.

[​IMG]

12. Data Holmes

Sir, these lights keep blinking out of order.

Well, get them to blink in order. :thumbsup:

13. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland

My concern is simply if they are intended to be the radiator component of the warp drive's thermal control subsystem, the emitted photons would generate a small albeit measurable net force on the spacecraft that may under certain circumstances need to be taken into account by the navigation computer. Such would be, in my humblest opinion, an engineering solution best described as inelegant. On the other hand, placing them on the outboard lateral surfaces of the nacelles would completely cancel out the effect.

TGT

14. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why doesn't it surprise me that what was a well-conceived design element on the Enterprise class's nacelles became hokum on the Excelsior? I'm assuming here that a "flux chiller," (a device to regulate some transport phenomenon like heat transfer?), would behave like a "radiator."

Assuming, of course, that they were still flux chillers and not just glowing blue slat things.

15. FalTorPan

Well, then... maybe they're "warp coil access plates." Perhaps the Ambassador's warp propulsion system represented a significant advance in technology -- but at the cost of a slightly shorter MTBF than in older designs. The access plates would allow coils to be swapped out more quickly.

Just a thought.

16. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. The best designs, IMHO, are the ones where the apparent "radiator elements" are fully symmetrical. I did that on my ship, for instance (identical radiators on either side of the engine pylons, having a direct projected view of space in both cases.

The 1701(r) has similar guys on the outsides of the nacelle pylons... but they're at an angle. That's probably why there's another small set on the inner surface... to give a balanced, "net-zero" photonic "thrust" effect from those panels.

God, I love it when technical stuff that was done mostly for looks ends up working out right. I wonder... Andrew P, if you're reading this... was that your thought there? Or was that "just for looks?"

17. Probert

Probert Starfleet Design Red Shirt

Although I have nowhere near the creative genius of the Wright Brothers,... what you're asking me about here is like asking them how a jet engine works and what it would look like. I'm imagining their response would be pretty much what mine is here,... HUH? You'd be asking them to imagine technology only forty years in their future, NOT 300 years. Come on, guys, I'm a visual designer with some industrial design insights, not a theoretical space systems engineer.

The yet-to-be-developed blue thingy on top is simply a carry-over from the previous "design", as a way to continue the design lineage logically from starship to starship,.. nothing more, nothing less. Yes, when I'm conceptualizing future hardware that is based on what we (generally) know & use today, I implore my I.D. education and intuitiveness but when it comes to stardrive systems,... I bring it down to what logically looks like it could be the next stage of technological advancements within that specific 'universe'.

What you're all saying sounds really good to me, so I'll just come up with the way it looks and let you tell me, later, just what I've created.

Andrew-

18. FalTorPan

Bringing the discussion back to Earth somewhat (but not all the way -- since this is the Trek Tech forum...) ;)

Here are profile drawings of Probert's (unfinished) and Sternbach's (finished) designs.

[​IMG]

Both are quite cool. :cool:

19. Turbo

Turbo Anthro Hawk Premium Member

As much as I like Sternbach's Ambassador-class ship, I have to say that Probert's design is just gorgeous. And it does provide a much better evolution from Excelsior -> Ambassador -> Galaxy.

Can't wait for the finished model!

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Agreed. I think Sternbach's Amb would've been perfect if it was Connie-Amd-Galaxy...but as it is, meh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.