Spoilers American Gods - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It threw me for a second too. Not sure what the poster means by doing so.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finally got to start watching this thanks to Netflix and it was definitely worth the wait. I've only watched the first episode so far, and I loved it. The style of it reminded a lot of Hannibal, just taken up another few levels.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A few other random thoughts:
    I was a little disappointed when Ricky Whittle left The 100, but now that I've seen some of this I don't mind losing his The 100 character to get him as Shadow.
    Ian McShane is awesome. I loved Wednesday's act that he used to get upgraded to first class. I'm wondering if he knows about Shadow because he already knew who he was before they met, or if it's just because of who/what he is?
    Do they explain who the guy they showed writing the Coming to America scene is?
    I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the big Bilquis scene, but I thought they handled it pretty well.
    I can definitely see Mad Sweeney becoming a favorite character.
    I'm wondering if Sweeney's coin will play any role in Laura's resurrection?
    The Technical Boy scene was pretty trippy.
    That was one hell of a cliffhanger.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

hmmm, how far along are you? Some of your questions get answered or at least heavily hinted at.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I've seen so far is Episode 1, but I know a tiny bit about what happens from hanging out here, and reading about it on sites like Tor and io9. I tend to watch stuff on disc, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, on a daily rotation with new stuff I watch on my tablet, so I'll watch at least one more episode on Tuesday.

6. Mr. Adventure

I don't want to ruin the experience for you but let's just say you're on the right path. I think you're going to really come to enjoy Mad Sweeney as the series rolls on.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched episode 2 today.
    I was a bit surprised they didn't address what exactly happened to Technical Boy's goons. I had assumed it was Mr. Wednesday, but he was apparently back at the motel with the girl Shadow saw in his room.
    Gillian Anderson as Lucy was great.
    Czernobog was pretty creepy. I'm assuming from his obsession with killing that he's a god of death?
    The coming to America scene with Mr. Nansi was really good.
    I'm hoping the stuff with Bilquis will eventually connect to Shadow's story. I understand that they are supposed to be showing how low some of the gods have fallen, but it still feels kind of random right now.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Czernobog.

For everything else, patience.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, I didn't realize he was also the horned demon from Fantasia and other Disney stuff.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched episode 4.
    It was really interesting getting to see Laura and Shadow's relationship and what exactly went down (no pun intended) with her while he was in jail.
    I did not expect her to be the one who saved Shadow from Technical Boy's goons was a big surprise.
    As crude as it was, I was pretty impressed they actually had her getting rid of the embalming fluid, that's not the kind of thing a lot of people of in those kinds of situations.
    Damn. Bryan Fuller and Micheal Green have left the series following budgetary and creative disputes with Freemantle Media.

11. The Nth Doctor

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was Gaiman was pretty heavily involved with the show, wasn't he? I know he talked a lot about it, but I wasn't sure if he was actually involved or if it was all just promotion.

13. The Nth Doctor

Mostly for creative consultation. He created the character Vulcan specifically for the show but that was the extent of his writing contributions. His role with Good Omens is essentially the same.

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

That's like the third show Fuller has been fired from in the last year or so. I wonder if this may be a case of "you're the asshole" but then again it is Hollywood.

15. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

Disco, American Gods, and ?
    Fuller seems to have a cadre of recurring (allegedly very friendly) actors, so he can't be that bad of a person, hopefully.
    It seems like he is very protective of his vision and will fight passionately to protect it.

>We hear series producer FremantleMedia North America, under new scripted chief Dante di Loreto, tried to impose big budget cuts for the 10-episode second season, which led to the showrunner change. - Deadline
    American Gods did abysmally in the ratings, new executives wanted a big changes. Variety's report suggested that Fuller/Green wanted an even higher budget than the first season. Deadline's report suggests that Fuller/Green wanted to retain the budget from the first season. If Fuller was the one being unreasonable, I wouldn't think that Green would have been fired as well.

16. Venardhi

Honestly don't remember now, just seem to recall him walking away/being fired from another project right around the time American Gods was airing.

17. Mr. Adventure

That sucks, a lot of what I liked about American Gods was the strength of vision and execution. I followed the Twitter feeds for this show and it seemed that they were very invested in the show and the cast and crew. A real shame.

18. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Think that was discovery.

19. Venardhi

Naw, I'm sure it was another project. Doesn't really matter though.

20. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

He left/got pushed from Dead Like Me after a few episodes of the first season over creative differences with Showtime, but that was back in 2003, otherwise his other shows have either been cancelled during their run or at pilot stage.

Hugo - Life sucks and then you die. And then it still sucks