Spoilers American Gods - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 23, 2016.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, damn, damn. I just checked on Amazon and Google Play and based on the results I got for the current season of Black Sail, it looks like they don't sell current Starz series episodes as they air. I was seriously considering watching American Gods that way, but it looks like I'll have to wait until it comes out on Blu-Ray.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not just buy a month of their streaming service near the end of the season run? They probably offer a free introductory month for that matter.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of trying to cancel it.

4. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

The joy of getting Amazon Prime is that you can subscribe to it and then immediately unsubscribe. The 30 day contract still plays out (including the free next day deliveries etc)

That is at least how it works over here in the UK and exactly how I watched 3 seasons of Black Sails

Hugo
    - playing the system

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just bought the first season of Westworld, so I'll be holding off on this even if it does pop up for sale on Amazon.

6. Hugo Rune

Quick behind the scenes "trailer"

Hugo - brewing coffee

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I already posted that on on the last page.

8. Hugo Rune

Apologies. Came up as new on a newsfeed. I'm a dufus :ack:

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a problem, just wanted to let you know is all.

10. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have watched the first episode via Amazon Prime Video which is the only part of AMazon Prime that Australians can access. It is costing me $US2.99 for the first six months and $5.99 after that.

I loved the first episode. I though it was very true to the book which means that because I have read the book once and listened to the audiobook three times there is a bit of lack of suspense for me but that doesn't matter all that much.

I thought Mad Sweeney was perfect, as was Low Key Lyesmith.

The first story of 'Coming to America' which starts the episode was fantastic if quite gruesome.

KennyB likes this.
  11. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I personally loved the humor of the arrows............and THAT SCENE.........was handled well too. If you've read the book, you know what I mean. ;-) Looking forward to the next episode.

Miss Chicken likes this.
  12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I didn't read the book. The first episode was interesting, I want to know where it's going but there was nothing that wowed me. Lots of gratuitous violence just because they can do it on tv these days. Hopefully, this makes more sense as it goes along.

RAMA

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I loved the first episode. I read the book about 6, 7 years ago, so I only remember some of it, but from what I recall, it's pretty damn loyal to the text. Certain things popped up from recollection, like the crocodile bar, the sex scene, the bison dream, and exactly how Laura died.

I thought about reading the book again just before the show started, but upon realizing that Gaiman has helped them stir the show with new developments (including a whole new important character), I decided to go in half blind. It'll be interesting to see what I remember, I don't remember, and what I think I remembered and turns out it's new to the show. :lol:

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I read the book when it first came out, and I remember liking it, but I have almost zero recollection of it. The main thing I remember is how mainstream critics were so impressed with his innovative approach to the use of gods in modern society, which was really just the standard comic-book approach. The first episode was decent and nicely surreal. The violence was so over the top in a couple of scenes that I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be comedy or not. Anyway, it didn't grab me like some other pay-cable shows have (e.g. Westworld), but I'll hang in there for a while. I like the main character's struggle to better himself and rise above his questionable history. I can't really get behind a struggle between ancient gods and modern gods-- religion and ideology suck regardless of origin.

15. Miss Chicken

Yes, I wondered how they would handle the Bilquis scene as it is one of the most bizarre scenes in the book. Tamed down a little for the show.

It looks like they will be covering the Essie Tregowan 'Coming to America' story which is one of my favourite parts of the book.

KennyB likes this.
  16. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

I must admit, I feel like the nudity in episode 2 was a little too much.

17. The Nth Doctor

Gillian Anderson as Media pretending to be Lucille Ball was as sublime as I hoped it would be. :cool:

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Due to different circumstances I've been unintentionally building up a number of episodes of different series before watching them and I think some series benefit from watching them in a large grouping. After a couple of episodes of this I wonder if that's not the case with American Gods. I wished the next episode preview hadn't kicked in immediately following the end of this one which undercut any tension it garnered. Don't get me wrong it's pretty obvious they probably won't go through with what they've setup but it kills the suspension of disbelief.

Was that her, I'll have to rewatch that. She seemed so familiar but I couldn't place it.

19. The Nth Doctor

Oh, my, yes. She's one of the things I'm most excited about this show.

20. Miss Chicken

I loved Media. I think Gillian Anderson was perfect and she really looked like Lucille Ball.

I also like Czernobog and the two Zorya sisters we meet. I guess we will see Zorya Polunochnaya next week.

I like Mr Nancy as well.

I though the Bilquis scene was over the top especially as her character's unusual method of devouring was shown last week.

So far the casting for American has been excellent.