Spoilers American Gods - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 23, 2016.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starz is probably pretty close to HBO at this point. They air Outlander, which is a pretty big deal, and they also aired Spartacus. Black Flag seems to be pretty big too, but I don't know if it's quite at the level of Outlander or Spartacus.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm a bit put off by how bloody it appears to be, so I hope the weirdness outweighs that factor.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

I know Black Sails does about 4.5m viewers per episode across all platforms, which when compared against Game of Thrones and Westworld is pretty low, but good for the network, especially considering it is a criminally overlooked show full stop and one of the best action dramas out there full stop.

I just hope this show gets the exposure it deserves. I would hate for this show to be sitting on the bubble every year, being renewed on the whim of the network like Hannibal did.

Hugo - crossing fingers

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How much draw would Gaiman and Fuller have with the normals? I know they're huge names around places like this, but would they be enough to draw in people who aren't hardcore SFF fans?

5. Hugo Rune

Nil I would suggest.

To be honest, most viewers come for the names of the actors involved or brand awareness. In the film arena you can add in a few directors that will draw in an audience, but outside of the likes of Spielberg or Chris Nolan, they are few and far between. In the TV world you have the occasional David E Kelly JJ Abrams, or Shonda Rhimes, who might add to audience with their name, but irregularly.

American Gods will sit in the same place that GoT started in. The books were huge in the Fantasy arena, but the vast majority of people knew nothing about it, and so it took critical reception and word of mouth to build its audience. AG is as fondly thought of as the GoT books, but it will have to burst out the gates to build a quick audience.

What helps is that GoT has legitimised large scale fantasy so an audience will be more receptive to its trappings. Further to this the Starz audience has always been offered programs with "mature themes" so will be less likely to be put off by the gore and sex.

Having read an outline of the pilot from SXSW it appears that Fuller/Green are showcasing all of the wierdness/violence/sex of the show right up front. If the audience can stomach the introduction of Bilquis (sex/violence/myth/metaphor all in one moment) then the show has hope.

We shall see.

Hugo

6. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, I think for the general public, the biggest draw will be Ian McShane, and maybe Gillian Anderson depending on her how big her role is.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will be interesting to see how far they take the Bilquis scene in the show. I've admited before that the explicitness of the book version scared me off from reading the rest of the book last time I tried it. It's the most... um... descriptive... sex scene I've come across at this point.

I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that Dark Horse's AG comic book adaptation started today.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How different is the 10th Anniversary Edition/Author's Preferred Text of AG from the 2003 Harper Perennial Trade Paperback?

9. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

I rather like Black Sails, can you tell?

10. Hugo Rune

At the avatar size, and with its contrast, I actually mistook him for Baltar from nuBSG!

On closer inspection I smacked myself upside the head.

Hugo - Let's beach this bitch

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been debating whether it would be better to read the book first or go in blind, any thoughts?

12. The Nth Doctor

Considering there's new material (including a new, important character) for the show written by Neil Gaiman, I would say go in blind. I was going to re-read the book until I learned about that particular element.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was watching the new trailer again, and I noticed a lot of the same style they used in Hannibal in the footage. Just the whole style of the footage with the crazy dream (?) sequences with the tree and the Bison, and way the action and gore is shot so that's it's almost beautiful. I loved Hannibal, so this is a very good thing for me.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well as I recall the book was pretty gruesome in places as befits the subject matter (pagan gods aren't exactly known for being squeamish), though I never felt it was gratuitous...well, except for the bit with the centipedes, but that probably has more to do with my hang-ups than anything else.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Credits sequence, maybe. This comes from Cosmic Book News, and know I've heard of them and I think they're fairly legit. It definitely looks like the real deal to me.

Presenting Mr. Wednesday, the con man

Presenting Shadow Moon, the ex-con

Presenting Mad Sweeney, the Leprechaun

Presenting Laura Moon, the dead wife

shapeshifter likes this.
  16. Hugo Rune

That tittle sequence is both bizarre and beautiful. Exactly what I want the show to be.

Hugo - bring it! :techman:

17. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I like the visuals but the music seems a bit monotone.

18. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Game of Thrones's theme is similarly dull IMO, but it grows on you. I suspect this will as well, though it lacks any sort of recognizable melody. :: shrug ::

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Presenting Bilquis, the Goddess of Love

Presenting Czernobog, the God of Evil

EDIT: The Mary Sue has a couple of other videos one is a featurette called A Storm is Brewing,which introduces the basic story. I also found this one on Youtube

The second one is a full scene from one of the episodes, with a flashback to Shadow in prison. This one isn't on youtube, so I'll just link to The Mary Sue's story.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  20. The Nth Doctor

We're so close to the premiere that I've decided not to watch any of these clips, including the intro. Much long to go now...