News AMC orders Walking Dead spin off to series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Apr 8, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We've got our first trailer.

It looks like it has potential, but I am a bit surprised they appear to be keeping it fairly close to where the original series is. I thought there was a chance it might jump forward from the other shows, but I had expected it to be a lot farther ahead.

Galileo7 likes this.
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely an interesting setting. It seems these characters are from a community that has managed to maintain something resembling pre-apocalyptic lifestyle, not unlike the Commonwealth from the comics.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Two and a half minutes, adding up to... exactly nothing. IMHO. :p

Admiral2 likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it is our first trailer, those always tend to be rather vague.

5. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

It reminds me of George Romeros' Land Of The Dead premise with an all is well location while the outside world is not.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

So... "No dead people in our safe space!" :rommie:

Is Walking Dead Universe the actual title, or just a placeholder. It has an unfortunately resemblance to Stargate Universe, which is not a pleasant memory.

7. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really seeing the potential here. There will need to be a reason to be, and that has to be more than basic relationships in a light zombie setting. One thing this franchise needs is the return of true survival horror, rather than it being an accent.

Admiral2 likes this.
  8. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They really need to make "World of the Walking Dead"...which can show it at the beginning all over the world... And some of the tragedies later.

I agree...this new one seems to lack one of the points of the originals success

9. The Wormhole

It's a placeholder, the show has no official title yet.
    Well, one drawback I'm seeing is that they might be overdoing it with the advanced communities. There's these guys, and then there's the Commonwealth which everyone seems to be heavily implying will be introduced in season 10 of Walking Dead. And then there's the CRM Helicopter People who according to Gimple
    are in fact an alliance of three different advanced communities.

With that many communities managing to maintain pre-apocalyptic lifestyle, one wonders why the folks on Walking Dead and Fear are living so primitively.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Okay, that's good.

11. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

I didn't even know this show was coming out. So it's basically going to be another Fear the Walking Dead. Do we really need three shows about the Zombie apocalypse? How many different stories can you tell?

I gave up on TWD a couple seasons ago because it was tiresome and simply had no future. The first season was novel, but immediately thereafter it became "heroes vs evil humans". That's just not sustainable for a 10+ season show, let alone two spinoffs.

Galileo7 likes this.
  12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently its sustainable as the parent show is the most watched show on cable. Fear is in a bit of trouble, but still going strong. I honestly didn't think they could sustain a 3rd show, but we'll see.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they'll have to take a very different approach to things to keep this one interesting. It has potential based on the trailer, but I still have to question how long it can go on before they just end up falling back on the same kind of stories we're already getting in the original series and Fear.

14. crookeddy

Unless they focus on life in the walled cities (and the trailer makes it clear that they won't) it appears that it will take exactly 1 episode until we return to TWD and FTWD style storylines.

15. The Wormhole

Then why is that 10+ season show so popular that it's generated two spinoffs and has a theatrical movie in development?

To say nothing of the fact the series is based on a comic book that made that premise last for sixteen years.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Premium Member

This was my thought while watching the trailer as well. The walled city actually looks interesting. I would come back to the TWD universe for a show exploring the rebuilding of society from within that new society. But it doesn't look like that will be this show's focus. I'm tired of watching a group of people endlessly wander around the woodlands killing zombies.

Jayson1 and Galileo7 like this.
  18. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. They spend so much time in forrested areas I half expect them to bump into Sg-1. Jason

Admiral2 likes this.
  19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Tomorrow Never Knows Premium Member

Planet Vancouver is a long way from the Atlantapocalypse.

20. crookeddy