News AMC orders Walking Dead spin off to series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

tvline.com

Do we really need another TWD series?

Seven of Five and KennyB like this.
  2. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

No. I have watched it since it's 2010 debut, but I think we have already seen the best it can be with the original cast. Myself, I won't watch another series with a new cast besides TWD and FearTWD.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

We already have young characters on the core show who are coming of age after the apocalypse, so I don't really see why we need a whole show devoted to that.

4. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not really in a position to watch this franchise at all beyond borrowing the dvds from the library, but I'd probably check this out whenever the opportunity presents itself. It sounds like a WAY more interesting idea than FtWD, which we completely checked out on after season 2.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should come back to it. It's a totally different show now.

6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. I've stopped watching the ones they have.

KennyB, Galileo7 and StarCruiser like this.
  7. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

I completely gave up after the last season of TWD. Never was able to get into FTWD...just seemed pointless. I actually WANTED most of those characters to die...

Velocity, Gary Mitchell and Galileo7 like this.
  8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I LOVE The Walking Dead---LOVE it--like, "I get really upset if they skip the quiz on The Talking Dead" love it. But I could only handle about one season of FtWD before bailing out and I have zero interest in another spin-off. They should end TWD after this next season; it had a really good run but it needs to wrap it up and ride--or, uh, shamble-- off into the sunset.

Galileo7 and Admiral2 like this.
  9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm willing to give the show a chance, though the concept is making me think, why don't they just do a Judith Grimes spin-off? It'd basically be the same thing.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, but $.

Agreed. TWD had characters such as Carl, Enid and now Judith all grow up--or spend most of their lives in the ZA. However, if AMC just cannot resist, then--

...and it would retain built-in interest in from the core characters/family from TWD. They could simply do another time-jump to an older, teenaged Judith, who is one of the undeniable breakout characters in TWD's 9 season history.

Another series with new characters sounds like a disaster in the making; Fear the Walking Dead has struggled all along, and even after they shoehorned characters from TWD (and continue to do so with Dwight in the forthcoming season), so another series, just seems like draining the last drop of blood out of TWD franchise.

The Wormhole likes this.
  11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Fear so far.

12. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

:techman:

13. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is TWD still on? (I know, I know...)

FTWD had potential to be different, because it was supposed to explore the Zombie Apocalypse and its origins. That lasted about 5 episodes, though, and afterward it became a cheap knock-off of TWD. I tuned out ages ago.

And I've also stopped watching TWD, now that Rick is gone. The "next evil human tribe of survivors" trope grew old long ago. There's only so many times you can tell the same story. Like those who have survived the ZA, I have lost all hope that the future holds any hope of survival.

I might watch the Rick TWD movies if/when they are produced, but otherwise (pun intended) this series is dead to me.

777 and Galileo7 like this.
  14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who said that?

The reason I ask is because what you are describing lasted all of zero episodes. Being set at the outbreak does not imply any intention to "explore the Zombie Apocalypse and its origins."

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK this I would watch.

The Wormhole likes this.
  16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let me guess. They will have to fight zombies and also evil human groups. What else can you do in this universe. Hell why not just do a show set in a alternate 1950's or something were zombies happened or how about a post-zombie world. This idea sounds like more of the same.

Jason

17. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

With all the movies and spinoffs happening they should probably consider ending the original Walking Dead series. Maybe announce a definite end date. Next 10th season would be a nice round number.

There are a lot of people who have already given up on TWD and no matter how much they change the series, those viewers are very unlikely to come back. But with the new series you will have the original viewers + new viewers coming in.

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

You don't just cancel your #1 show because you are making a new show. AMC has designed TWD to run on a reduced budget with a rotating cast for ten more years.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TWD is still the #1 show on cable. Outside of artistic reasons, there is literally 0 reasons to end it. Of course we all wish that artistic reasons would come into consideration, but it seems that AMC is more interested in milking every penny. That's fine, as long as they keep making new quality shows. They haven't quite struck gold the way they did with Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, or even Mad Men yet, but they are making good stuff.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral