Alternative to Discovery

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by GornCaptain, Jul 24, 2017.

?

If you had complete creative control over the new Trek show which route would you have went?

1. 15 years Post Nemesis/Voyager show

25 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Anthology show

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. A different prequel time period

10 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. A non Terran/Federation show

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. 100 years Post Nemesis/Voyager show

17 vote(s)
    20.7%
  6. Other

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since when!?
    Can you use me as the centerpiece in a fire pit? I like being a conversation piece.

2. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Once the characters are established, then a mirror universe excursion might be quite good to where we can appreciate the alternate personalities. TOS gave a fun glimpse as a typical one-off story, DS9 overdid it (though the actors are clearly having fun and most of it extends to where the audience loves it as well! Avery Brooks, who's also a good director, definitely makes his alternate Sisko worth watching. Kira too, though Nana Visitor did overact a bit in "Through the Looking Glass"...) I dunno. A good story is what's needed.

And, yeah, no more time travel. TOS used it sufficiently sparingly, TNG and spinoffs dipped from that well too often. :( Still, it's iconic to Trek to have at least one excursion to go into Earth's past so all the evolved people can poke fun at the savages while being fish out of water yet again... :p It's ironic, Voyager's two-parter was arguably the best of the bunch despite not asking how they could get to Earth from the Delta quadrant so quickly then back... Otherwise, TOS' TV outings were the best, as a tie if not slightly better.

And thanks to Doctor Who of the last decade or so, they could show a new Borg nursery in ST:DISC and that alone would win awards for making cybernetic beings a genuinely scary threat in sci-fi again.

3. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since I never answered the original question (well, I kind of did but in another thread entirely):

I like moving forward, and ideally I would want to set my own series soon after Hoban goes boom. On a ship "opening up" formerly forbidden space. The collapse of the Romulans holds all sorts of possibilities: Political Intrigue among the remnant fashions, subject species never before seen, old resentments kept down by Romulan power now bubbling to the surface (Like happened in Post-Tito Yugoslavia among other places), the reappearance of whatever other "matters of greater urgency" caused the Romulans to take their long sabbatical (that one Lost Era tale can't be the whole story, can it?), dark new powers on the rise on the other side of Romulan space...

Mattadd likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That does have a lot of potential to be sure.

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since so many are set on moving Trek forward in time, I would like to take this to its ultimate conclusion, and have a whole show set at the end of the universe.

Not at a physical boundary of the universe, but the moment in time when the universe comes to an end. There would be a space station somehow temporally stuck at that time period but unaffected by the destructive forces.

The main attraction of this space station would be a restaurant, and there would be all kinds of interesting guest stars of the week as characters time travel from various eras in history to witness the end of the universe and use the scenario to their own ends, sometimes altruistic and sometimes nefarious. This could even tie into the beloved Temporal Cold War.

:shifty:

Kor

6. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

As long as they have an unoptimistic android

Kor likes this.
  7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I'll second that, and I also wish that we were getting a show set in the Kelvinverse myself instead of a prequel show set in the prime older continuity (the idea of setting a new show in a previous continuity when you've just set up a new one that's quite successful is like Marvel or DC setting up a new continuity then setting up one title set in the previous continuity just for fans that don't like the current one), but alas, due to corporate bullshit between CBS and Paramount, we won't (and the ending logo to such a show would be easy to do, too; first the production logo of Bad Robot, then the logo of Paramount Television, then the logo of CBS Television Studios.)

My show idea would be a different ship or space station, with a guest starring cameo in the first episode by Chris Pine as Captain Kirk, then cameos in a few episodes, say, one at the end of the season by a different crew member scattered through the season, and a connection to the main Kelvinverse movie series script-wise similar to how the Marvel TV shows and movies are connected.

EDIT: That said, I'll try to give the new show a chance.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    pst likes this.
  8. Mattadd

Mattadd Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This.

Love that idea and I would be way more excited about a show exploring these ideas.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  9. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

I would have gone for Enterprise-B or -C.

10. C57D

C57D Guest

Battlecruiser Vengence gets my vote.
    Kai Kassai Klingon !!!

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

It's the Ambien™ of Trek films.

Shaka Zulu and 1001001 like this.
  12. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

this.

i'd like to see a hybrid of what it looks like we're getting from discovery with what we got from the prologue of trek 09.

Shaka Zulu and F. King Daniel like this.
  13. Mattadd

Mattadd Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't even watch a show set in the Kelvin universe. I'm not thrilled about the setting of Discovery but I'm willing to give it a chance. I would not do the same for a JJverse show.