Alex Kurtzman Gets New Deal With CBS, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lawrence B, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh for sure. Ah to be lucky enough to watch B5 from scratch without knowing what will happen. Too bad we will never see Blu-rays of B5 or have it remastered.

nightwind1, Lord Garth and lawman like this.
  2. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm "babbling" about your gilb and facile responses to my entirely uncontroversial remarks about how politics are interwoven into every aspect of human life and art. It's not a "pet issue" of mine, and it hardly originates with me; it's simply a commonplace observation about how human society works. Why you keep attempting to deny and deflect it, much less why you seem intent on taking it personally and getting irate about it, I have no idea.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then perhaps both need to step back as it is becoming personal? :shrug:

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I'm not assuming anything. He has flat out said as much in multiple threads about multiple franchises, from Trek to Star Wars to Doctor Who. This issue didn't originate in this thread, nor will it end here.
    Well, I'll take the side of the ones who aren't made up of a bunch of paranoid backwards manchildren on the wrong side of history, mmkay? At least they're making a huge deal out of the right things and not crying about alleged loss of status because a black woman got cast in a lead role.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And what does any of that have to do with privilege? Those are your words.

All I said is that fiction, at least to me, is about fun and interesting, escapist entertainment, and that I don't want people to peddle their ideologies to me through it. Why you think that has anything to do with "privilege", given that escapist entertainment has historically been enjoyed by those of all social classes is beyond me.

6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If I'd known I was going to do this ahead of time, I would've invited some of my friends over. But my place is a mess. I'm going to blame @eschaton (but thank him at the same time!) and my bad habit of super-whimsical thinking.

I'm surprised it's in 16:9.

lawman likes this.
  7. Belz...

Wow, that's a lot of condescension. What does "wrong side of history" even mean? And why you would want to side with the opposite group of radicals is a mystery. How about we stick to something more moderate and useful, instead, mmkay?

Why does everything, everywhere on the internet have to devolve into discussions about identity politics nowadays?

8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Middle-ground is a great idea in theory. Not always in practice. Sometimes you're on one land-mass, the other person is on another, and in the middle you have the ocean.

9. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What does politics have to do with privilege? Did you seriously ask that?

And as for entertainment:
    Yes, clearly.

cultcross and ozzfloyd like this.
  10. Belz...

No, I didn't. I asked you what privilege has to do with me not wanting politics in my entertainment.

What a fantastic dodge. Can you even answer the question, I wonder.

11. Belz...

Strawman. I talked about moderation, and implied compromise. It doesn't have to mean the exact middle. But you knew that. The choice isn't between two radical, crazy positions.

12. ozzfloyd

ozzfloyd Captain Captain

Define for me what the 'two radical, crazy positions' are to you?

lawman likes this.
  13. Belz...

Well, I already did but in case you missed it:
    1) "Hell no! I won't have any of those womyn or negros in my favourite franchise. These damned SJWs won't ruin my movies!"
    2) "OMFG! We can't have straight cis white males in this franchise as this just perpetuates the rape culture patriarchy!"

Both of those are crazy. I'd rather stand in a more healthy and useful position, which is that discrimination based on sex or orientation or skin colour, amongst other things, is wrong, and that I otherwise don't care about the composition of the cast of the movie I watch, so long as the damn movie's good. Unfortunately sometimes that means I have to side with one of the crazy sides, but I'd rather avoid it when I can.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're watching the wrong franchise then.

lawman and ozzfloyd like this.
  15. Belz...

It's no secret that some of Trek's more political "messages" have often annoyed me, and not because I disagreed with them, either. As mentioned upthread, some of Trek's best material has been apolitical, or at least not blatantly so.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You might think they're apolitical...

lawman and Kemaiku like this.
  17. Belz...

Ok genius what are the politics of "The Inner Light"?

Seriously, this is insane. Basically you are taking an unfalsifiable position and... and can we fucking get back on topic?

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Touch a nerve?

19. Belz...

Keep dodging.

And yes, people who bring their ideologies into every single topic does touch a nerve. Not every one of us wants to discuss that ideology every second of our lives.

20. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Guys this seems like a load of shit. Some episodes and movies have political messages and allegory. Others do not. The quality of said episodes does not depend on the political content or lack thereof, nor does it depend on the content of the message, should it exist.

There...argument concluded.

fireproof78 and Lord Garth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.