Alex Kurtzman Gets New Deal With CBS, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lawrence B, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

If they do a TNG show I'd pay $100 for that, no joke.

Borg, Longinus, PhotoBoy and 3 others like this.
  2. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG and VOY were never on at the same time. DS9 ran alongside them, but it was a very different show structurally from either, being station-based. Plus Voyager was in the Delta Quadrant, meaning a totally different backdrop (in theory). It would be more like if TNG decided to introduce Voyager concurrent with Season 5, but have it take place in the Alpha Quadrant. New crew, but same setting, time period, and structure as TNG. You don't see why that's a problem?

You could do that with absolutely any new Trek show however. It doesn't have to be a Pike show.

PhotoBoy, Rhodan and Terok Nor like this.
  3. Starfury

Starfury Captain Captain

I was already on my way out of the franchise. But now you have my attention again.

Phaser Two, guyute03 and Terok Nor like this.
  4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

To destroy it more, obviously !

:hugegrin:

Turtletrekker, Vger23 and SilentBen like this.
  5. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And perhaps it no longer will be. Things may have changed since I was briefed. That was over a year ago.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Maybe they should try to get Discovery right before oversaturating the market?

Borg, Phaser Two, Serveaux and 5 others like this.
  7. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

I suppose one could read between the lines of the new announcement and conclude that the true intent is to abandon trying to "get Discovery right." Which I'd agree with; that would be a wasted effort, in my opinion.

Not that I'm sanguine about Kurtzman being in any position of decision-making over Star Trek.

Phaser Two and mos6507 like this.
  8. BillJ

He's 50/50 for me so far. Enjoy the Abramsverse, have no love for the Discoverse.

RedAlert and pst like this.
  9. eschaton

On the other hand, this might explain why some sources are citing five shows in development, and only listing four.

I'm not saying a Pike show is impossible, only that if it is made, it basically dooms Discovery. Hell, with so much new Trek content, it's going to be "survival of the fittest" anyway. Kurtzman is going to have to decide what he wants Discovery to be exactly when it isn't the sole Trek in active production.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I like it just fine. I liked all of the TV Trek to greater or lesser extents, even Voyager.

I hope you'll find a show that works for you. I'm confident I'll like it all - to greater or lesser extents.

How can MORE Trek on TV not be a great thing ?

antinoos, Borg, Ovation and 2 others like this.
  11. BillJ

Ask people in the late-90's and early-2000's about that?

Pindar and Apparition B5 like this.
  12. eschaton

It was only during DS9's run that multiple Trek series were running at once. By the late 1990s it was just late-period VOY and ENT.

Lord Garth likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but quality > quantity.

I love the Marvel movies, but don't have time for most of their TV/streaming series'. With a few exceptions, they feel like thy're made to fill time and fulfill a contract. I never want Trek to be so... skippable.

INACTIVERedDwarf and lawman like this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked that period. It was fun, wide variety, arguments with friends and different costuming options.

antinoos, Borg and Vger23 like this.
  15. BillJ

And diminishing viewership. To the point Enterprise was nearly cancelled after season three. Only the need for enough episodes for strip syndication gave it a season four.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, and? I wasn't aware I was responsible for diminishing viewership. I thought I was just enjoying it :shrug:

antinoos, Borg and Ovation like this.
  17. BillJ

It is great you were enjoying it. Many people had burned out and moved on. Myself included. And I was a fucking Trek nut.

Apparition B5 and jaime like this.
  18. eschaton

You can argue that the market was "saturated" with Trek, but if so it was saturation due to Trek being in continual production since 1987. Once DS9 was done, there was only one season of Trek on the air at a time.

In contrast, if CBS "oversaturates" it will be because a lot of Trek content is happening concurrently. But this will all be happening over (considering needed production time) a 3-4 year period, meaning the viewing public shouldn't have gotten sick of it yet.

19. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think franchise fatigue is a thing on it's own. Nor over saturation. Marvel is EVERY WHERE and going strong after 10 years of "over saturation.". If you are constantly coming up with new and novel ideas, you won't get tired of Star Trek. If Star Trek falls into going through the motions (ENT), then burn out will happen again.

antinoos, Borg, Longinus and 6 others like this.
  20. eschaton

Yeah. Considering that VOY and ENT's first two seasons were essentially TNG-lite, the viewing public had basically been exposed to 16 straight seasons of the TNG format, with progressively less impressive crews.

Trek doesn't need to be that format. DS9 showed this. In its own way, despite flaws in execution, Discovery did as well.

antinoos, Borg, RedAlert and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.