Spoilers Ah, the NEW uniforms...!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Blue Squadron, Nov 5, 2020.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but I've really hated all of the Starfleet uniforms introduced in DIS. They're all my least favorite Starfleet uniforms, and the new Season 4 versions aren't much of an improvement to me.
    :sigh:

Jadeb likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    Slightly better. I like the third one the best, despite the asymmetry.

3. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

It’s weird. I’ve liked a lot of the costuming on the show — the MU stuff was great — but I didn’t care for the original uniforms, really disliked the ones seen at the end of last season and don’t find these latest ones much better. Wish they’d stop fixating on weird gimmicks and just go with uniforms that look wearable.

C.E. Evans and jackoverfull like this.
  4. fireproof78

Have you seen Star Trek uniforms? Few look fully wearable.

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:luvlove:

Nice!! All of them.

The second-from-the-left is a bit shorter on the right side, whereas the others are not. That's novel, and not in a bad way. :bolian:

Maybe use all four designs for the Fleet; keep the third-from-the-left, the one without the piping, for non-officers? Fleet admirals and infiltrating other-dimensional deities of the week getting the first-from-the-left? Q does look good in red...

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

There's what's practical, and there's what looks good on-screen. The Monster Maroons (IMO) looked great on screen, but after having made several of my own, they were definitely not practical IRL. I suspect this was a majority of the uniforms we've seen in Trek history.

If I were to guess, I'd say the Enterprise unis were probably the most practical and robustly-built of all of them, which makes sense as they were patterned after NASA jumpsuits, IIRC, which are uniquely usable, functional and practical, by design.

7. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Commodore Commodore

That's the Official Uniform from DISCO S4 Trailer.

I put that there to be a reference point and to see what people like.

I'm more of a fan of Symmetry myself, so the official Uniform seems "Off" too me.

Needs a slight tweaking IMO.

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. fireproof78

It does need tweaking but the other tweaks are not quite on to me. But, I have no idea what to change.

9. Markonian

Markonian Commodore Commodore

Just to clarify, Lieutenant Tal's uniform - is that likely a variant of the current (3180s) style, or a direct predecessor?
    It has the same insignia and gray base color, but the neck pins are diamond-shaped and the department stripe is thin.

Image: https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/File:Lieutenant_Tal.jpg

10. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Admiral Premium Member

Enterprise for me. I always thought those were the most practical ones Trek has done. I didn't mind the original Disco uniforms.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  11. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd wear the TNG movie era dress uniforms, they look quite spiffy. I wouldn't be comfortable, but I'd look spiffy.

Agony_Boothb and Jinn like this.
  12. fireproof78

So, here is my thought based upon thse pictures. One, keep the shoulder boards for the rank devices and take the black stripe that is going down the center and have it run across the shoulders.

13. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Commodore Commodore

So basically make it TNG style?

14. fireproof78

A little closer to that but with straighter lines and its just on the tops of the shoulders and doesn't go down the sleeves.

15. Blue Squadron

Blue Squadron Commander Red Shirt

Mostly just wherever I happen to be at the time.
    Good question...

The tricom badge appears to be 3189 "current" issue, but the style of the collar insignia seems to be closer to those worn by Adm Senna Tal (whose own uniform appeared to be a precursor or earlier variant of that worn by FAdm Vance). Senna Tal, however, wore a different pattern of combadge (earlier Tricom badge? who knows...!) which might suggest his appearance and uniform being earlier than this one.

The implication is that this uniform is somewhere in the design lineage leading up to the "current" Starfleet uniforms but exactly when is not clear.

I would not be at all surprised to discover that this costume was, in reality, a re-use of a test prototype for the S3 3189 Starfleet uniforms. Lt. Tal was, after all, very much a background character so I guess they were just looking to give the impression of a uniform from somewhere in the preceding centuries...!

Markonian likes this.
  16. Markonian

STO is introducing the "Starfleet 3189" uniform (the Starfleet greys) to playable characters in an upcoming release. It doesn't appear to include the tactical vest worn by Lieutenant Willa and her team, or the white shoulders of Kovich's holos.
    Source: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11488333

I've selected one of my characters to don these and am looking forward to play around with the 3189 and season 4 color schemes. I wonder how the rank insignia will work in the tailor!

Edit: for the lulz, I'll mix and match the admiral's uniform with Bajoran uniform pieces and see if it could pass muster in the Bajoran Militia. :cardie:

Edit 2: tweet by @trekonlinegame on whether the Starfleet 3189 can be used with Season 4 colors: "Literally, the character artists finished this design and then the trailer with the new uniforms dropped THAT DAY. But yeah, you can change the colors. Apparently, the new uniform has some other differences, so I can't imagine we won't make those." (Source: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1394689959626346497 )

Edit 2: TrekCore posted a large image of STO's rendition of the uniform: https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1394692017263894531/photo/3

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I like them. They look like Admirals uniforms.

Markonian likes this.
  18. Markonian

Now that you point this out, I think these would look good on Fleet Admiral Clancy in 2399.

19. Blue Squadron

Blue Squadron Commander Red Shirt

Mostly just wherever I happen to be at the time.
    The STO versions aren't particularly screen accurate but they look good nonetheless!

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with them?