Agents of SHIELD: Season 6

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OCD Geek, Jul 18, 2018.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Nope, because I should be able to come into the AoS thread if I'm watching AoS and not get spoiled about a movie that's not even available for rental yet. If the show were dropping Endgame spoilers left and right, that'd be a different situation.

Note that we didn't make an exception when AoS and Civil War were running with the same big reveal. That's why the MCU Spoiler-Heavy Speculation Thread was created.

SolarisOne and Turtletrekker like this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sorry, in my previous post I should've said that this season was claimed to be pre-Infinity War, i.e. "pre-Snap."

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just realized, most if not all the Chronicons are named after biblical, or other religious figures.

And not because I've studied religion or am religious, but because of other shows that have involved religious stuff, like Supernatural lol

auntiehill likes this.
  4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An idea that falls apart when you remember that the end of Season 5 took place simultaneously with the end of Infinity War.
    And actually the problems start back then since the last few minutes of "The End" clearly take place some time after the rest of the episode and no one's talking about how lucky they were they didn't turn to dust.

We all understand the real world reasons why the series ended up this way, so why not just say something like, when they changed history they created a parallel universe in which Thanos was beaten but all the superheroes died. It would explain why our heroes were left to save the world by themselves (again) at the end of Season Six.

5. Christopher

Yes, exactly, which was my point in that earlier post -- that the retcons they've been forced to make to tiptoe around IW make it extremely difficult to reconcile the show with the movie continuity anymore. Unfortunately I used the wrong movie title and so that maybe wasn't clear enough.

6. Tuskin38

Fandom of all places is reporting
    Hayley Atwell will be in season 7, but they don’t give a source just they ‘have learned’. So I’d take it with a grain of salt.

OCD Geek, Booji and The Nth Doctor like this.
  7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Great news if true. :bolian:

OCD Geek likes this.
  8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd imagine that she went back in time to save little Steve from a time traveler, Zarko The Tomorrow man maybe... And afterwards she did not have a way home, besides "waiting" all the way through WWII again.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Fingers crossed that it's true!

YellowSubmarine, OCD Geek and Ovation like this.
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be great if it's true.

11. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

endgame spoilers
    Maybe the last time we see her after the team leaves the past is her answering the door for Steve

12. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

I too would love to see Chris Evans make a cameo as a final tribute to the show at the end of season seven.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It would be fun...but it kinda violates the franchise's rules about time travel.

14. Tuskin38

IIRC Whedon said in an interview they wouldn't be using
    Endgame's style of a time travel.
    Because if they did, the Chronicons travelling back in time to save their world wouldn't do anything but create a new timeline, there would be no threat to the present timeline

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  15. Christopher

If that's so, then it further renders these last two seasons of AoS non-canonical with respect to the MCU. Laws of physics are universal. Two works of fiction in the same reality -- even in alternate timelines within that overall fictional reality -- can't follow contradictory physical laws.

But it doesn't make sense that he'd say that, because
    they already are using multiverse time-travel theory, as Deke repeatedly pointed out. His continued existence proves the show uses a multiverse model instead of an "overwriting" model. So if they suddenly change the rules, they're contradicting themselves as well as Endgame.

Turtletrekker and DEWLine like this.
  16. Tuskin38

Wouldn't be the first time a sci-fi series wasn't consistent.
    Sela for example shouldn't exist in Star Trek.

17. Christopher

No, that's different. A given set of physical laws can apply differently in different contexts -- for instance, if you let go of a hammer, the result will be very different in orbit than on Earth's surface. In a universe where time travel can change history, it doesn't follow that it's absolutely required to change history in every instance, and it constantly bewilders me when people assume it has to. There's a huge difference between something being possible and something being mandatory. It would depend on the way each specific situation played out.

But Endgame was very clear that
    it was following a physically realistic model of time travel where the only allowable way to change things is to create an alternate timeline, where "erasing" the existing history just can't happen (as indeed it shouldn't, because the very idea is logically contradictory and physically absurd). After all, we saw some quite massive changes to the past (2014 in particular) that surely would have "erased" the present timeline if the laws of that universe made it at all possible.

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Did the comics universe upon which the MCU is based have one, consistently adhered to set of rules for time travel in all of its myriad stories written over decades by dozens or hundreds of hands?

Time travel works however the story at hand says it works. Roll with it.

Gaith, YLu, Teelie and 4 others like this.
  19. Christopher

I think it pretty much did, and it was pretty much the same as the movies', that time travel just creates alternate timelines. That's why the "Days of Future Past" timeline kept being revisited after it was supposedly prevented.

I'm under no obligation to do so. It is incumbent on the creators of a work of fiction to keep it consistent within itself. It doesn't have to be consistent with real-world rules, but a failure to keep it consistent with its own internal rules is a flaw in the construction. Every member of the audience has the right to complain if a work of fiction is flawed, just as a restaurant customer has the right to complain if a meal is undercooked, or a car buyer has a right to complain if the seatbelts are defective. It is always the right of the consumer to demand better. And creators can't improve their work if people don't point out their mistakes.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Brian Michael Bendis did a story that stated if the changes were minor enough the timelines would merge together, but for 99.9% of the comics I've read, they used the same rules as the movie.