AFT NACELLE (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by draderman, May 28, 2013.

1. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I played the scene over a dozen times last night, which trumps your three viewings, and I'm still convinced that he doesn't say "aft nacelle".

Certainly not in the pre-JJverse Star Trek Lexicon. However within the JJverse itself, that may no longer be the case.

Also... in response to an earlier post:
    That's the way the syllables of the word actually fall. Nothing laughable about it. Nor is it at all unthinkable that Khan would draw attention to every syllable, to drive home the point that he knew precisely where to hit them.

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Sorry, you are flat out wrong.
    Cumberbatch says "aft nacelle".

3. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"I will target your life support systems located behind the Taco Bell."

Yep, he definitely said "Taco Bell". Khan wanted to hit the Enterprise with a torpedo right in the chalupa.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Chalupas are widely known for being highly volatile.

5. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely. The whole screenplay is littered with laziness, this is just one of the more minor examples... pretty sad for a movie with a nearly $200 million dollar production budget.

6. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I just hope that this alleged aft nacelle is at least in fact blue.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Yeah, he does. Both times I watched it.

I'm sorry but it's not like the line is indistinct. He clearly says that.

Or prove us wrong and post a video. I suspect, from your posts, that you have a bootleg version with bad sound. Maybe you should trust the people who actually paid Paramount for the legal right to watch the movie in theatre and have awesome sound.

8. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now that you mentioned it, I now am remembering this dialog in "Wrath of Khan":

[Enterprise bridge]
    KIRK: Damage report.
    SPOCK: They knew exactly where to hit us. Right in the chalupa!

9. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I wonder if there was a change to the dialog, and no one picked up the absurdity of what was being said.

I have the novelization before me. On pg. 265, he says,

There are I think great lines and monologues in this book that would have helped the film. I would be happier with the film if some of them were included. They answer some of the questions that should have been addressed in the film. I don't have an issue with a three-hour film, if that film is entertaining.

10. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder what's "in the vicinity of the engine nacelles" other than the pylons that attach them to the rest of the ship.

11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Maybe something on the ship can be called "nacelle" other than the warp nacelles, you guys. It's not really important.

It's about as important as "klingon warbird".

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The aft nacelle is next to the ion pod, right behind the bowling alley.

13. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Get a grip, he says aft nacelle. It's obvious, and apart from you and your bizarrely deluded hearing, everyone in this thread agrees. :rolleyes:

14. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

FWIW Memory Alpha has picked up "aft nacelle" and has added it to their lexicon...

15. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You beat me to it! :) That is the reason why I always buy the novel of the movie - some things will change by the time the final script comes out or even on a day to day basis, but it does provide more depth (as it should).

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I sense a Sombrerobatch photoshop coming...

17. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Like I said, the spine of the saucer that runs from the bridge dome to the impulse engines. Otherwise known as the "impulse nacelle" or sometimes "impulse deck."

So the ship has two warp nacelles (or "the port nacelle" and "the starboard nacelle") and an impulse nacelle ("the aft nacelle").

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read that line as referring to "in the vicinity of [where] the engine nacelles [attach to the ship]", aka the bases of the pylons.

19. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Commander Red Shirt

They made a similar mistake in their 2009 crapfest:

At the 46-minute mark in ST09, Pike issues the following instruction:

"Divert auxiliary power from port nacelles to forward shields."

So, fans attempting to rationalize this new error are faced with an additional problem: if there is, indeed, an "aft nacelle" of some kind, separate to the massive warp engines that the word "nacelle" has traditionally, in ST lore, referred to, why are there "port nacelles", plural; or, put the other way, why is there only one "aft nacelle", as implied in Khan's threat, while multiple nacelles, per Pike's order in the 2009 film, reside at "port"? Seems a little unbalanced and unsatisfying to me.

A few possibilities exist (not mutually exclusive), I think, to explain these two-errors-for-the-price-of-one:

1) The writers are inventing things willy-nilly.

2) The writers don't care about following Star Trek lore or about being accurate or coherent.

3) The writers are actively trying to dismantle Star Trek lore and thumb their noses at accuracy and coherence.

4) The writers are incompetent and care more about a paycheck than creating something innovative, layered, thoughtful, and lasting; or they, for some indiscernible reason, believe that these latter qualities can be created independently of the former (accuracy and coherence).

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Which still makes no sense, as it is further forward on the ship (and on the saucer, no less) than the warp nacelles. How could anyone refer to it as the aft nacelle? There would have to be one on the front of the saucer to justify that.

Considering Orci/Kurtz put Delta Vega wherever the hell they wanted last time out, I'm surprised this isn't just taken as another, "Oh, those two wacky guys!" moment.