Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

This could really jump start a "Star Wars" tv series now since Abrams fingers are all over TV.

He could executive produce like he mostly does now.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Make it up as you go along and then try and rewrite history to suggest it all was carefully planned?

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Galaxy Quest by a mile, although Master and Commander was good too.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

(Super long post to reply to several posts, this is a very active forum, I think three pages were added to this topic since last night :cardie: )

I've said it before, if it was between him and being dead, it should have died. He turned it into a movie Michael Bay would have been proud to do. So, yes, its relevent. Just like transformers and twilight. However, it is not worthwhile, not by a long shot. Its garbage, with no redeeming value. It didn't pull out some guts, it jettisoned everything accept the barest visuals, and then became a horrible generic action movie that doesn't even resemble Trek. Its not slavish devotion that makes me hate it, its the fact that its a horrible movie directed/written by hacks that makes me hate it.

I was angry when I posted, but I get that you weren't trying to offend me. I just get mad when I see stuff like that, and I'll admit that, while I'm not generally an angry guy, certain things do set me off. I'd focus on something besides the negative, but with Star Trek, there is no positive, atleast for its future. Now, star wars is the same way. FYI, I'm 22 years old.

By the way, I really like Voyager, thought Enterprise was decent, and think that Nemesis was a good movie, and its way too much hate.

I have watched the movie 3 times (theatures, and twice on DVD). I hate it. I don't care if it got good reviews. Titanic is loved, and its a boring chick flick. The Dark Knight is the wirst superhero movie I've ever seen, and people love it. I don't hate stuff because they're popular. For every Star Trek I hate, there is an Avengers that I really like. There just happens to be some popular stuff that I hate. Popular/good reviews =/= good.

:confused:

I had fun with: 7 of the first ten movies (including the last one before Abrams), and the majority of all the series, even ENT (although its the show I've seen the least of). If I can find enjoyment in Enterprise (and I do), then I don't think I'm that hard to please. The thing I hate the most is when people imply I hate stuff because its new. I hate it because it sucks. If it had came out years ago, I would hate it. If it had been done well, I'd like it even if it made changes. It didn't need to be cerebral or anything. But, not being anything beside generic action trash was definately not the way to go.

6. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

Abrams must be doing something right if you hate his work, then.

Style without substance is far preferable to having neither style or substance.

7. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That. Is. Cool!

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, between this and Farscape, I think we just have to agree that we have completely different tastes! :)

Although, to be fair, I've only seen NEMESIS once, the weekend it opened. I probably need to give it another chance one of these days. (I actually own the DVD, but it's been gathering dust on my shelf for years now.)

Meanwhile, I've already watched and enjoyed the new movie several times.

10. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Don't do it. Don't. Do. It. It will only hurt you.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    I just did watch Nemesis for the first time since theaters a couple of weekends ago. It wasn't that bad. I think the thing that struck me the most is how much it looked like everyone was playing with toys. What I men is, the phasers looked like props and not weapons.

It was bad, but not fucking terrible bad.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hey, I've seen FINAL FRONTIER at least twice--and lived to tell!

(Heck, I've lived through BATMAN & ROBIN, VAN HELSING, and HIGHLANDER 2: THE QUICKENING. I know what pain is.)

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm the opposite here. The lack of Lucas's involvement is one of the things that has me the most interested in the new movies. We've gotten six movies with Lucas, let's see what can be done with someone new in charge. We've gotten plenty of good books and comics without Lucas's direct involvement so people other than him are able to tell good SW stories. I think it's also worth mentioning that most of the best screen Wars stories are the ones he wasn't as directly involved with, namely The Clone Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, he also directed one of the best.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

This should help

[​IMG]

18. kirk55555

To be honest, I've seen maybe half of Enterprise (mostly from the second half), so while I don't see myself hating it, its totally possible that its worse than I think. As for Voyager, I just like it. Don't get me wrong, when its bad, its horrible. My least favorite episode ever (Someone to Watch Over Me) is from Voyager, and if I did a top ten list of worst episodes, VOY would probably take up half the spots. But, when it worked, it was great. The Doctor is still one of my favorite ST characters. As for Nemesis, I've never really gotten the hate for it. It wasn't amazing, but I thought it was decent. Then again, after Insurrection almost anything would have been an improvement :rommie: Its funny, I've even seen the bad ST movies several times. I can't see just watching the movies once (heck, I even watched the Abrams movie 3 times, counting in the theater, although I don't think I'd watch it again).

I agree. When it comes to Star Wars, I've wanted to see movies not primarily done by Lucas for years, ever since TPM came out. There are honestly only three directors I think would ruin SW no matter what: Abrams, Christopher Nolan and Michael Bay. Anyone else, I could have been hopeful. I want to see a good SW movie. Its just not possible with who they went with for director. Even if they get a good writer(s), he'll find a way to ruin it. I usually don't care about directors (I couldn't tell you who directed the first 10 ST movies, or the SW movies that Lucas didn't direct), I couldn't care less if a movie is made my James cameron or Speilberg as long as its good, but JJ just happens to be one of the three directors I notice because I hate all of their work.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:wtf:

20. kirk55555

I don't get it. Ok, I was a bit off topic, but I was just talking about Voyager, and admitting that, while I like it, it had horrible episodes. My least favorite episode of VOY is also my least favorite Star Trek episode of any series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Someone_to_Watch_Over_Me_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)

It wasn't totally on topic, but I thought the statement made sense in the context of the post. Unless you're implying that its a weird episode to dislike. Its an episode about the Doctor teaching Seven about romance. It was very bad. To me it was the worst, although there were other bad ones. It has no relation to this topic, it was just a comment I madeon while talking about VOY in relation to the post I had quoted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.