Abrams: Expect To Cry

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

The only movie that I came close to crying was Cinderella.

We'll see with this.

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Was it when the glass slipper fit? That was a wonderful moment. :p

C'mon, you didn't even come close to crying in "Bambi"?

4. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the first ten minutes of Trek 09 were very emotional. I didn't shed a tear, but the sheer brutality of the attack and the echoey near-silence of Kirk's birth combined with Giacchino's score was very moving. I also got a little choked up during the shuttle sequence when the new Enterprise was revealed. It was treated with such adoration and respect that it felt a little like coming home again.

Speaking of Giacchino, he can really bring the tears when the situation requires. The first eight minutes of Up are virtually unwatchable for me. I get emotional even thinking of them and the music was a big part of that. Given the right material to work with, he might be enough to push me over the edge. We'll see.

Of course, I also cried at the end of 'Armageddon,' so what the hell do I know? :p "Harry, no!"

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

When Radiated Spock gave Kirk the "V" sign some heartless bastard next to me whispered "Live Long and Phospher," and I laughed my ass off.

6. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

No it was the way the stepsisters treated her. I can relate. :(

I haven't seen it in years, so I'll need to see it again. I've been on a Disney binge. :techman:

7. Dagoth

Dagoth Ensign Newbie

Can someone provide me with the super long 10 minute trailer I watched in IMAX? I was like:wtf: 'are they gonna run the whole movie on that trailer'.:rommie:

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Spamming. Warned. Comments. PM.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No, that one was intended only for theatre viewing. There was a poor-quality phone-cam recording of it making the rounds, but that's probably the only general release the nine-minute trailer will ever see.

10. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Explain to me how, when watching the original Star Wars for the first time, people cared about what happened to Luke, Leia, and Han, even though they knew nothing about those characters when the movie started.

If we imagine for a moment that ST2009 was the first Star Trek story ever, would you not care about the Kirk, Spock, et al. portrayed in the film? I do understand the reality of it is that ST2009 was NOT the first-ever Star Trek story. However, from the standpoint of a pure-cinematic story-telling potential, why would it matter if the characters in ST2009 are not original? How does that affect the film's ability to make you care about the characters?

Is it soley because Abrams and Co. said the original characters still exist in the prime universe? If so, I don't understand why that matters, considering that those prime universe characters are just as fictional as the Abrams-verse characters. The Abrams-verse fictional characters have every right to be "cared about" by the audience, from a story-telling standpoint (whether people personally thought Abrams and the writers succeeded in that is a totally different argument -- but I cared about them).

...and, by the way, when I watch TNG: Parallels, and I really think about it and get myself into the story, I do feel a bit bad for "Shabby Riker" who got "blowed up" (blowed up real good). Poor guy.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Until the Blu-ray is released somewhere around Christmas.

12. Shazam!

Right. We knew nothing about them. So watching them grow was fun and surprising.

We do, however, already know all about Spock, Kirk, McCoy etc after having seen and read countless stories featuring those guys. Now we get to see how they became those characters only they aren't those characters, they're alternate universe versions. It's like rebooting Spider-Man with Ben Reilly.

Same film, but Star Trek had never existed and this was a new franchise? Would I care about them then? Possibly. But no more so than any other action movie franchise character and I can't say I'm in any hurry to read a novel featuring say, Jack Traven from Speed or something...

Good for you.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

No, they're not.

They got old, fat, and dull. Stuffy and boring. Kirk fell off a rickety bridge before delivering one of his bizarre line readings ("It was...fun") and croaking. Spock was last seen shuffling through a kind of aimless story about Romulus with a bunch of old guys and Denise Crosby wearing bumpy foam rubber heads. McCoy was wearing a garotte-like ascot for vanity's sake to hide his wattle, Scotty and Uhura were fumbling around with various unappealing menepausal sexual hijinks, Chekov had evolved from Bad Accent/Haircut to Bad Accent/Toupee and Sulu...who gives a fuck about Sulu?

They're not "running around," "doing fine," or being at all interesting. These new guys are a lot more fun now. :)

14. Shazam!

I thought you liked Trek XI?

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'm not a Riker or TNG fan, but even I felt sorry for Shabby Riker :) What's that word I'm looking for? Ummm...empathy. That's it.

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't want to cry. I want to be inspired.

17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had that feeling too, back in September.

I think it was the infamous interview which spawned the 'last ST movie for Quinto?' rumor. It is below but the full transcript is absent on that page, video only.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/09/07/chr...ening-quinto-says-movie-is-bigger-and-bolder/

Notice the URL for that page has "chris-pine-says-star-trek-sequel-is-" blah blah blah within it but it is Quinto speaking.

I believe the lines we're thinking of is; Quinto: "I'm really excited to see what they do with it but, you know...."

On topic, Thanks for the warning JJ. I'll be sure to bring plenty of tissues with me.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Then if you're over 12 years old Star Trek's not for you.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Loved it, but Prime Spock was a footnote to what made it great. You're right, though - thanks to Abrams, Nimoy's Spock has been somewhat redeemed.

20. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I teared up when Spock died at the end of TWOK.

I teared up again when the Enterprise self-destructed in TSFS.

I STILL get tears (of joy) to this day at the last 5 minutes of TVH (The Enterprise-A reveal, but also Sarek's talk with Spock in the Council chamber).

I'm sorry, I just can't imagine anything in Into Darkness affecting me that profoundly.