A word to Bill Shatner....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Dear Mr. Shatner:

I read somewhere that you're miffed about not having a place in the new faux Trek movie while your friend Leonard Nimoy has. Sir, don't sweat it. You defined who Captain Kirk is and no one shall replace you. And I actually think it would demean you to be involved with what will certainly be a revision of the work you and your colleagues did so well during the original series. You must realize by now, I'm sure, that TPTB are so creatively bereft that they are desperately trying to cash in on nostalgia and trying to reinvent the wheel rather than actually trying to craft something new and original. They are no better than creatively challenged rappers repeteadly ripping off original music from decades past just to dress up their bad chanted poetry.

You once wittily admonished some overzealous fans to "get a life." Here, I offer a similar suggestion in return, sir: Let it go. To hell with them. You've made your mark and don't need to milk it as your place in television history has been well earned and assured. And so don't pander to these people.

Let this project stand or fail on its own merits (or lack thereof) and don't give them what would be little more than stunt casting to shore themselves up.

You deserve better.

Sincerely:

Ray

2. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

Nice letter. You speak the truth. If Shatner is indeed miffed, it is probably motivated by the fear that the new movie will be a huge success and that he won't be a part of it.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, Mr. Shatner...you're asking for too much money, they don't need you, and your character's been dead for over a decade. Fell off a bridge, oddly enough.

A new guy will be Kirk now, on a new Enterprise NCC-1701. :cool:

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've seen many takes on Superman/Clark Kent and for me George Reeves still owns the crown. Reeves wasn't the first or the last, he was just the best.

Others may play Kirk, but Bill Shatner will always be the one who defined him. Like him or not he casts an awfully long shadow for anyone else to step in.

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

hey Warped9, should you include a part where you forgive him for doing other 'faux' Star Trek projets, such as Star Trek Films 2-7?

I mean hell, for you Star Trek ended in 1979 with ST:TMP by your own admission in your sig. ;)

6. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I'm sure he'll never forgive him for that either.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

But, but...they paid Shatner to play Kirk. That makes it "real Star Trek."

8. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

And it will suck hard. Don't sweat it.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

While I'm not crazy about films II-VI Shatner himself did some okay work in them, particularly II and III. I enjoyed each of those films to some extent when they were released yet I grew more critical of them as I discerned more about them that I didn't like.

But I will say that for all my criticisms of films II-VI the greatest strength of them has also been the actors' performances. They managed to lift mediocre materiel to something tolerable, much as they had done with some of TOS' third season episodes.

10. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

"material"

Are you hoping Shatner will actually read your message and take you seriously?

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Ah, no. I hardly expect Shatner to be lurking through the TBBS. I'm sure he's got a lot of other things going to keep him occupied.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Shatner will evaluate this opportunity based on whether he's asked and how much they're willing to pay.

It's likely that there's a hitch in the latter which has led to this bit of leaking.

13. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

So basically you posted this simply to annoy the people who support this film, just as you constantly troll the people who like post-1979 Trek.

As predictable as a falling stone.

14. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Just a friendly reminder to keep things civil.

I know many have strong viewpoints on the matter. Just don't beat each other over the head with it, 'k? In the end, you'll either see the new stuff, or boycott it. Does it really matter?

Fair warning, I'm in pain so I'm crankier than usual. Don't push it. ;)

15. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm seriously in the mood for cheese fries.

16. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

So, does "Bill" Shatner hang around on the TrekBBS much these days?

17. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nimoy wont do it without Shatner. Question is - would Shatner do it without Nimoy? He's done it before...

Having said that - i'm pretty sure the story is bobbins. I cant see either of em' doing it.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

He never has. A few years ago there was an account registered in his name so that his webmaster could post a pre-written "come to www.williamshatner.com we're very interested in each and every one of you" kind of message - same thing was done at any number of sites at the same time.

I love the original "Star Trek" series...I will not cede it to the kinds of folks who "defend" it in narrow and proprietary and bitter ways, and one finds a few at every Trek site there is.

19. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

Shatner responds:

Dear Ray,

Could I get another bagel?

Love,

Bill

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not true - William Shatner stated he would NEVER appear on ST:TNG during its first run syndicated run; yet Leonard Nimoy DID do the Unification episode in TNG season 5.

And you must be psychic if you 'know' the story 'is bobbins' without reading a single word of it. :rolleyes:

Edited to add:
    -------------
    And as you also know, William Shatner did appear in the TNG feature film Generations; while leonard Nimoy turned it down (and he was asked).

So, there's plenty of precedent tht shows they are each individuals; and will accept/refuse a project based on who they individually feel about it.