A United Trek Tale - "For the Empire"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Dnoth, May 20, 2008.

1. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

Don't rush it--like a fine wine, give the story all the time it needs to develop. We'll be here. :)

2. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. What he said. :)

3. Dnoth

Dnoth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for your support, guys.

CHAPTER 13

Supplemental
    Go'hachar, Southern Continent
    Fu’puk II

Bin Nadal, Carrick, and Shalev materialized in a wooded area. The superficial Klingons immediately determined if anyone witnessed their arrival. They were alone.

Shalev, a light-tan skinned Klingon with a rank of a Bekk first class, commented, “Well, we’re planet-side. Now all we have to do is get the Klingons to beam us up.” His altered and seemingly un-kept teeth were exposed as he spoke.

The team leader asked him, “nuqDaq veng

The Perseus helmsman pulled out a scanning device commonly used by the KDF. “The nearest Klingon presence is in an urban center about three kilometers away.”

“Get in the role, loDHom,” chided Carrick.

“Sorry, sir,” began the junior lieutenant.

tlhIngan jatlh,” she persisted.

Yitzhak corrected himself. He knew the importance of getting into character on a mission like this. “QoS qaH

Karim allowed himself a mild grin, “majaH

As the trio moved through the brush, Yitzhak decided to practice his Klingon, “la’,ra’wI’, forgive me for asking, but are you Muslim?” Of course, ‘Muslim’ didn’t translate.

The Persian looked back, “No, though my grandfather hoped I would be.”

“Bin Nadal means ‘son of Nadal’, right?” asked the helmsman out of genuine curiosity.

“That’s right, but my father wasn’t Nadal” explained the first officer, “My proper Arabic nasab name is: Karim bin Hami bin Niyoosha bin Jonathon bin al-Hasan bin Muhammad bin Jabir bin Eyad bin Ibrahim ibn ar-Rahman bin Nadal.” He looked up and considered, “I might have missed a few generations.”

“Ah,” absently responded Shalev.

“My family has been using ‘bin Nadal’ since before the Federation was founded,” he explained. “Why do you ask?”

“Religion is an interest of mine,” the mock Klingon rejoined.

Karim’s mood picked up, “It is? I’m a student of philosophy, myself. I assume you’re Jewish.”

He confirmed, “Yes sir, I was born on the Eretz Israel colony.”

“I grew up in Chah Bahar on Earth,” offered the Persian.

The Perseus flight officer commented, “It’s hard to believe our peoples nearly annihilated each other.”

Bin Nadal added, “It took the post-atomic horror for humanity to stop destroying itself.” He caught his first view of the city, “And these people are going through a similar thing, now.”

bIjatlh’e’yImev,” said Carrick, who seemed right at home taking on the persona of a Klingon.

Both men stopped their conversation, which had degenerated into a mix of Federation Standard and tlhIngan.

The team crouched down in the foliage. Shalev consulted the scanner, “There are over 1,000 Klingons and nearly 40,000 natives in that town.”

The Independence first officer gave his final bit of advice to his team, “Whatever happens, act like you belong there.” He stood, “”Ha’

Supplemental
    IKS Kang, General K’Vada’s Office
    In Orbit of Fu’puk II

Captain H’ta reported with a salute, “The Starfleet vessel has emerged from the sensor gap. If they were planning espionage, their team would be on the planet by now.”

K’Vada snarled. His hands were tied. Allowing the blind-spot went against everything he knew about deploying a fleet. He despised anyone telling him how to operate or what to do. His tactics had many critics, but they always worked. In this case, the governor of the Khemet Sector intervened.

The general found himself in the middle of Governor Lorath’s scheme. Lorath’s goal was to embarrass Martok. K’Vada’s goal was to effectively subdue the planet’s population. He began to realize, the two were mutually exclusive.

“We have become pawns, HoD H’ta,” grumbled the task force commander. “Even if Lorath’s plot works, blame and dishonor will fall upon us.”

The dark-skinned Klingon stepped forward. He was a trusted advisor to the general and a knew of the situation, “We must tread carefully, Sa’. Lorath would be a powerful enemy.”

K’Vada looked up from under his brow, “As would Martok.”

Supplemental
    Fu’puk II

Jonin’s left antenna itched as it rubbed up against isolation suit’s hood. New data on the heads up display relegated it to the back of his mind. “Sir, I’ve confirmed the orbital scans. There’s a labor camp up ahead. It’s less than a kilometer away.”

Commander Bolden’s earpiece received the report. “Alright, Lieutenant. Be careful as you move about everyone. These suits aren’t failsafe”

“And be prepared to see some…pretty disturbing things,” somberly added Chief Hatora.

Quiet permeated the comline as each team member contemplated his words.

Supplemental
    USS Perseus, Planetary Development Lab
    In Orbit of Fu’puk II

“…reports are coming in from all over the planet,” continued the reporter in a near state of panic. “The aliens are appearing out of thin air and are using a combination of laser guns and blade weapons.”

Kimula slowly shook her head with her hand cupped over her mouth. She, Tang, and the Perseus’ first officer watched the pre-recorded news broadcast.

The Hacharan male continued on the screen, “They attacked military installations first and our soldiers were quickly killed. Now the creatures are …materializing in civilian centers. Government leaders are advising evacuation of urban areas. Though, that is difficult since many of the shuttle rails have been damaged beyond use.” The reporter allowed himself a breath, “We don’t know who they are or where they come from, but their intent is clear…they mean to destroy us all. Please, do what you can to survive.”

Science Officer Tang froze the image. It was the latest of several reports the team had watched.

The Andorian lowered her hand, “They really thought their world was at an end.”

“I can’t imagine the fear they were…are in,” commented the Deltan.

Zian rolled his chair to another console, examined it for a moment, and observed, “The Klingons have been slow to dismantle the Hacharan’s information network. Though, the traffic has decreased to almost nothing, people are still uploading data.”

The hairless first officer surmised, “I’m sure the Klingons don’t consider it a high priority.”

Lieutenant Soma sighed, “I don’t know how many more of these I can watch.”

Anara put a comforting hand on Kimula. No words were said.

Commander Rysyl returned to her station and continued the search. With a heavy heart, so did the Independence counselor.

CHAPTER 13

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  4. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The last part reminded me of Orson Wells' The War of the Worlds broadcast. Except this time ... it's for real.

I like the little interplay between Bin Nadal and Yitzhak. It's good to see that in the future muslims and jews have come to learn to live in peace. Or so one would hope.

It looks like it crunch time for the various teams. I'm most interested to find out how their amateur Klingon is going to work out for them. My suggestion: keep you mouth shut. :lol:

5. DavidFalkayn

Nicely done. You did a good job with Yitzhak here and I liked Anara's little gesture--something she very much would have done.

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This story just keeps getting better. I particularly enjoyed the Shalev/Bin Nadal exchange, that's Trek at its best. I also like how K'Vada realizes he's really screwed, stuck between Lorath and Martok. Bolden's insights into the captains, and your expanding on the differences between war captains and peace captains benefits all of the shared universe.

7. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't really add to anything else that's been said, except to say that I agree with it all.

More please.

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

:bolian:

9. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Late to the party, but I wanted to echo the above comments. You've set up a great story for us with some great character work. I also liked the observation about Aurelia and Kojo. I'm sure it is difficult for "war-time" captains to transition to peace-time duties.

10. Dnoth

Thanks for the comments! Here's the next chapter...

CHAPTER 14

Supplemental
    Fu’puk II

Already broken glass cracked under Kirce Carrick’s heavy, black boot. Presumably, it fell from a nearby skyscraper, or rather, what used to be a skyscraper.

The stench of death hung in the air. According to Yitzhak’s scans, there were forty thousand Hacharans still in the metropolis, but none could be seen.

The team saw a few groups of Klingons from a distance. Luckily, the Defense Force warriors paid them little attention.

la’,ra’wI’,” stated Commander bin Nadal, “we’re in position. Request a beam up.”

Shalev couldn’t help but to have a slight look of surprise, “That’s the plan? We just ask to be beamed up?”

“All five Klingon vessels are beaming groups up and down all the time,” explained the mock, female Klingon. “Their protocols aren’t nearly as strict as ours. As long as the bio-signature emitters are sending Klingon life-signs, we won’t have a problem.”

“Won’t they challenge us?” persisted the Perseus officer. “Or at least, ask for a reason why we need to go up?”

“In this case,” chimed in Karim, “less is more.” He gestured for the Destrier security chief to continue.

She raised her communicator, Starfleet had long since had the design in the replicator archives. “Jev’Iw jang

Supplemental
    IKS Jev’Iw, Transporter Room
    In Orbit of Fu’puk II

Sogh Ursva just sat down from transporting several warriors from one site to another. She didn’t know where they came from or where they were going or why. It was all just coordinates to her.

Ursva plopped her boots on the stool next to her. With a sigh, she grabbed the electronic book she was reading. She was just beginning to get back into the contemporary, romantic, action drama, when a high-pitched indicator sounded, followed by: “Jev’Iw jang

In frustration, she slapped the padd on her thigh and tossed it aside. She sat up, “Jev’Iw jolpa’ jaH

Jol wej,” was the response.

Ursva had anticipated the request and located the signal source. The person asking to be beamed up was one of three in an urban area. Transporting people to the ship was easier than from place to place on the surface, so that was good. It wouldn’t take too long. “luq”, she said as she activated the energizers.

Moments later, two males and a female appeared on the dais. They looked at her. She blinked at them….and then returned to her fiction.

Bin Nadal glanced at Shalev to see his reaction at the ease of their insertion. To his credit, the helmsman had a poker face the Iceman would be proud of. Karim moved with a purpose to the metal door, “mughoS

Ursva heard the door screech open and close as she settled in with her novel – at least until the next interruption.

Supplemental
    USS Perseus, Recreational Lounge, a.k.a. Andie’s Place
    In Orbit of Fu’puk II

Since she was off duty, Lieutenant T’Pren wore her hair down. It was long, well below her shoulders. Such long hair was odd for a Vulcan. She couldn’t be accused of being very traditional, anyway.

Immediately upon entering the lounge, she caught sight of Helen Nor, the ship’s human/Ktarian hybrid doctor. She sat at a table near the center of the room with two others. One was the Independence’s reptilian medical officer; the other…the other was Kimula Soma. For a fleeting second, the emotional Vulcan considered not joining them. ‘She isn’t Larissa,’ T’Pren reminded herself. With renewed confidence, she approached the group, “Mind if I join you?”

“T’Pren,” Nor welcomed, “of course not. Have a seat.”

The Vulcan extended a hand to the Arkonian doctor, “We didn’t actually talk to each other at the staff meeting. You’re Commander Do’matar, right?”

“Arkonians don’t use family names except in rituals and I never cared much for ranks,” corrected the female reptile. For a scaled face, she managed a warm expression, “Call me Zo’Kama.”

“Zo’Kama,” repeated T’Pren as she assumed the empty seat. Then her eyes fell on the Independence’s counselor. A twisting feeling developed in her gut. She caught herself before she gazed too long. “Kimula,” she greeted.

The lovely Andorian smiled, “Good to see you again.”

For the first time since entering, T’Pren noticed the mellow music playing in the background. A comforting sensation followed.

“Any word from the away teams?” asked the Perseus doctor.

“No,” replied the Vulcan, “They’re in communications blackout. We can’t risk the Klingons picking up our transmissions.”

The other three silently acknowledged. The conversation stalled for several moments.

Finally, Kimula offered, “There are enough first hand accounts in the Hacharan network to convince me that the Klingons need to be stopped. I’m sure the Federation Council will pressure them off the planet.”

“Don’t be so sure,” tempered Zo’Kama, “Politicians view the world through a warped lens.”

Helen leaned in, “But if half of the things Anara and Kimula have told me are true, surely the Council will act.”

T’Pren focused on some undefined point on the table’s surface, “Let’s hope so.”

Supplemental
    Fu’puk II

It was the first time Commander Bolden had a close look at a Hacharan. Most were slightly taller than humans. They were striking specimens: broad shoulders, dark skin, thick locks of long hair. He could only imagine how impressive they would be when they weren’t subjugated. Now, they looked hopeless.

Several hundred natives dug into the ground with simple shovels. A hole nearly a kilometer wide scarred the landscape. Scans indicated a vein of boridium under the surface. A mineral used for everything from power cells to blade weapons.

Velen invisibly shook his head in disgust. Even the Hacharans have much more effective ways to excavate the material, but that wouldn’t have the effect the Klingons desired. The people of this planet were now little more than expendable labor. If they worked hard and earned the Klingons respect, they might be promoted to cannon fodder.

Thanks to his heads up display, he could see the other team members and his own body. He tapped a control on his wrist, which activated a recorder. He made a point of getting images of the Klingon guards. ‘You’ll get yours,’ he thought.

“Faltyne,” began the commander, “how many guards per prisoner?”

After consulting his suit’s computer, he reported, “There’s about one Klingon for every 27 Hacharans in the area.”

Chief Hatora trotted up from several meters away. There was concern on his voice, “Commander Bolden, something is about to happen. I overheard some Hacharans getting ready to…”

A distant, but booming, “AAAHHHH!” was heard in the direction that Hatora came from. All the team members turned to see a native charge the nearest Klingon. The Hacharan ran with his shovel raised, ready to strike.

The guard turned in time to see the desperate attack and relieved the laborer of his discontent with a single disruptor blast. The Klingon had no time to gloat.

The other Hacharans followed their peer’s lead. Mobs of natives rushed their captures. Several laborers were quickly gunned -- or chopped -- down, but there were simply too many. The Klingons were overwhelmed, but not before one of the guards yelled into his communicator, “QaH muHIvtagh” The warrior was bludgeoned to death shortly thereafter.

It happened so quickly. The Starfleet team and the Hacharans stood in shock for a second when it was over.

Upon the realization of their victory, the natives began to celebrate.

Bolden and the others didn’t share their enthusiasm.

The Destrier first officer got a cold chill go down his spine. He addressed his team, “We’ve got to get out of here, now!”

He didn’t have to explain. The away team moved with a swift stride away from the recent slaughter, but the camp was huge. And it wouldn’t take long for the Klingons to retaliate. The newly deceased KDF officer had reported, “Help! We’re being attacked!”

END OF CHAPTER 14

11. DavidFalkayn

Good job with T'Pren and Shalev--you've done an excellent job capturing those characters as well as Velen. Velen does have a strong sense of justice and what the Klingons are doing to the Hacharans would rankle him to no end.

12. Mistral

I am seeing disruptor bolts scorching the ground in that camp-doesn't look good cause disruptors don't rely on the Mark I eyeball to kill...

13. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Great segment! I fear that the next disruptor bolts will be coming from the orbiting ships' main batteries! The 'Fleeters better high-tail it out of there, pronto.

The scene with the Klingon transporter operator made me chuckle. It seemed very un-Klingon for a warrior to read a novel, especially a romance. Then I recalled how much they like Shakespeare and poetry and I thought, "why not?" :lol:

14. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somebody was going to get themselves into a mess here sooner or later. Bolden's team is going to be in real trouble if they don't get out of there but quick. No matter who is going to win the upper hand, their discovery would make for some very intersting problems.

Also, agree with TLR on the sequence with the Klingon transporter operator. A nice little infusion of humor and, I think, not at all implausible.

Great, tense and humorous segment.

15. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ratching up the tension and drama very effectively. We are all waiting to see where it is all going to go wrong. Here's the first bit of trouble. Not to mention the fact the Klingons might have anticipated Starfleet action with their deliberate sensor 'blaack out' .

The best parts are the varying ties between the crews being explored - particularly the T-Pren sections tying so nicely with 'Most Illogical'. Well done.

16. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another good, fast-paced segment.

17. Dnoth

CHAPTER 15

Supplemental
    Fu’puk II

Velen was bringing up the rear of the group. Bolden, Faltyne, and Hatora were several paces ahead of him. The away team invisibly passed unsuspecting Hacharans in jubilation. It was surreal. He felt like a ghost.

Hatora’s heart felt like it was ready to burst out of his chest. He, and the other team members, made their way through the pockets of people. He tried to avoid running into them. Some times he failed, leaving a very confused person in his wake.

For some unknown reason, the Perseus’ science officer looked backward and into the sky. For a moment, the thick cumulus clouds glowed green. Soon, three disruptor blasts became visible.

Everything slowed for Velen. He knew that death was surely awaiting the Hacharans in the camp…and possibly the away team. His body resumed running, though his eyes couldn’t turn away from the slaughter that was about to occur. Most of the Hacharans didn’t even see it coming. Those that did, were as helpless as he was.

Like balls of hellish lighting, the blasts impacted on the surface. Despite the fact, all three pulses hit within a second, Velen could see what each one did. The first hit about 700 meters away. Dozens of people were vaporized immediately. Dozens more shot away from the epicenter as if they were splinters.

The second blast came so quickly, the Hacharans still didn’t understand what wrath they had unleashed. This one was closer. Velen felt the heat through his suit. He saw a woman’s flesh begin to flake away. For a fleeting moment, her expression changed…she looked right into his eyes. Her skeleton was visible for an instant, then it too, turned to dust. She did not die alone.

The final strike rained down just as everyone took their first steps of panic. This one was brighter, bigger, and hotter. Velen had enough time to realize, he was too close.

Jonin hit the ground hard. He didn’t lose consciousness, but he desperately tried to regain his breath. Even before he did, he began to search for the rest of the team. Bolden was already recovering a few meters away. Chief Hatora did fare so well. He wasn’t moving. The Andorian found his footing. It took him a second to find the Denobulan. Velen’s suit was no longer working.

The Destrier first officer met him at Velen’s side. Luckily, the surviving Hacharans were more worried about additional incoming fire than the orange clad humanoid on the ground. “Is he alive?” asked Bolden.

“No time to check,” replied the Independence security chief, “the Klingons will start beaming down warriors to finish the job.”

Marcus nodded in agreement. It sounded morbid, but whether he was dead or alive didn’t matter at the moment. They needed to get him out of sight. He scanned the terrain for a hiding spot. Dust hung in the air. There were trees in the distance, but nothing close enough. Dirt was the only thing close. He picked some up in his invisible hand. It was loose. He looked up, “We have to bury him for now, until we can get him back to the beam out site.”

Lacking another suggestion, Faltyne and Bolden quickly began to bury the officer. Only when they were done, did they think how macabre there action was. But there was no time for that. A battalion of KDF troops would beam down at any moment.

Supplemental
    USS Destrier, MainBridge
    In Orbit of Fu’puk II

Security Officer Philip Westin turned back from his tactical display. “Captain, the Kang as fired on the surface.”

Kojo rose from the command chair, “Where?”

Before he could respond, an indicator sounded. He elaborated, “The Independence is hailing.”

“On screen.”

Aurelia’s face burned, “They’ve fired on the same camp our team was supposed to investigate!”

Westin offered, “Confirmed, sir.”

“We have to get them out of there!” demanded Sintina.

Nandali viewed the young captain’s comment as a challenge to her authority. She said with resolve, “Our team knew the risks.”

The Latina captain didn’t back down, “To hell with this sneaking around bullshit. I’m sending in a team to…”

“You will do no such thing!” blasted Kojo. She approached the screen. The Kriosian was not impressed with this girl. “My first officer is down there, Captain Aurelia. I worry for him as much as you worry for your crew members. Now is not the time to act. I will contact General K’Vada. You will standby.”

By this point, both bridge crews were focused on the exchange…even if the didn’t look like it.

Aurelia stood there for a moment, her rage brewing. Sintina didn’t want to admit it, but she knew she wasn’t the biggest dog in the pack; not this time. Kojo had forced her to heel. Without a word, the Indy captain sat back down, tapped a control, and the transmission ended.

Despite…or because of her display…Nandai’s respect for her younger peer went up. ‘She has a fire,’ observed Kojo, ‘but an untended one.’ She returned to the matter at hand, “Get me General K’Vada.”

Supplemental
    IKS Jev’Iw, Deck Four
    In Orbit of Fu’puk II

A series of sharp tones indicated Karim’s latest failure. “toDSaH,” he cursed. “I’ve got most of what we need, but I need an access code to get a copy of the Chain of Orders for this mission.”

The trio allowed a warrior to pass in the narrow corridor.

Shalev suggested, “We were supposed to find this Alexander, anyway. Maybe he’ll give us the codes.”

“Contacting Starfleet is one thing,” Carrick said as her head shook, “giving us command codes is entirely different.” She added, “He might even blow our cover.”

Bin Nadal looked up Alexander’s whereabouts, “It’s a risk we’ll have to take.”

Supplemental
    Fu’puk II

After dragging Hatora out of the way of anyone who might trip over him, Bolden and Faltyne took up positions close to their injured teammates. Ironically, if either regained consciousness – assuming they were alive – they might get themselves killed.

Groups of Klingons had already begun to materialize in the open-pit mine. Only a few Hacharans choose to fight back. Most ran for the cover of the forest. It wasn’t so much a fight, as an exercise in butchery.

A young man ran passed Bolden, followed closely by a Klingon. The Hacharan, wearing only rags, began to outpace the warrior. The soldier was obviously annoyed when he had to sheath his D’k tahg and pulled his disruptor. He unceremoniously shot the man as he ran.

It was all Bolden could do to stay put.

Faltyne was too busy witnessing the unhonorable act to see the middle-aged woman until it was too late. She ran right into him and stumbled to the ground. The Andorian stepped back, but managed to stay standing.

The woman didn’t have time to wonder how she fell. As she stood up, a mek’leth penetrated deep into her back. She died at Jonin’s feet.

The Klingon that tossed the blade began walking toward him to reclaim it. The Andorian knew he dare not move.

END OF CHAPTER 15

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  18. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, yeah… and now we begin with the ugly. The Klingons are going to annihilate anyone foolish enough to resist. Oh sure, they’ll pay lip service to respecting those that stand and fight against them, after obliterating them from orbit and shooting the survivors in the back.

The stealth team is in dire straits. If the Klingons pick up their buried comrade on sensors, or run headlong into one of them, it’s going to get very bad very quickly.

Great stuff!

19. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The surface away team is certainly up shit creek and their paddle's been blasted to matchsticks.

Bolden wants to blow the Klingons to Grethor, Faltyne probably wants to do the same with more brutality and the others are in for a rough time, if they survive.

A nice piece of writing and I look forward to where you take this...

20. Mistral

Tension. Severe tension. And will Faltyne feel guilt over the woman's death? Will he be revealed to the Klingon? What is Kojo going to say to the Klingons? Stay tuned...