A set of changes/proposals

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Christian, Oct 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zun

Zun Commodore Commodore

The only kingdom where everything can happen...
    If I were CNN, I'd immediately create a small ten-second movie to fill up before every post regarding this. And make a cool three-word name for this event. So here goes:

Trek BBS Turnover

Re: DEA leaving
    I am quite saddened by this. Honestly. You've been here for like forever. I hope you'll keep on posting.

Re: Someone becoming an Admin
    I'd like to give him/her the best of wishes when s/he finds out s/he's been the victim of an elaborate deception! [​IMG]

Re: TNZ moderation
    I fully, completely, and utterly support this move. Mostly because I lobbied for it in a variety of QSF threads- and that was mostly because I thought, and still think, that it's hypocrite to act like TNZ does not exist, when, in fact, it is hosted on the same server as the rest of the Nation. I trust that whomever gets the keys to the Zone will only hand out warnings when a line has, definitely, been crossed. And I also think that the only things that should be warnable are, somewhat, the things you will get banned for, but that's just something I'm saying right now and I could regret having said tomorrow, so just pretend I didn't say that, K?

Re: Alternate usernames
    I've come to the point where I'm almost ready to say that we should simply allow alternate usernames, like in the Good Old Days. Unfortunately, there simply are members who cannot handle such a thing and will use it to troll under different names and stuff. I would vote for IP logging again, but then again, it ain't Tuesday. I only lobby for IP logging on Tuesdays.

Re Chatroom:
    Sounds good. But only if someone with enough IRC experience can help us create some bottish thing that will keep unwanted garbage out.

Re Warning Template:
    Cool. But I'm warning ya: I will mix up the 'username' and 'infraction' fields one day.

Re: What Should X Be
    I think 147 would be an appropriate barrier.

Re: Post Count
    As long as this is the first step towards getting rid of post count altogether ( [​IMG]), I'm completely in favour of this.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear - I support virtually every one of these changes. But I don't know if they work. I also hope that Christian means that these measures are reversible if they won't work out.

So long, DEA. May I invite you to come see some more of Misc?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Don't give them any ideas! [​IMG]

3. ***

*** Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone else think that this is a bad idea? TNZ, who cares, but many people including myself spend most of our time on the BBS in the lounges. You'd basically be eliminating any chance at promotion. Also, the number of members who actually visit the lounges is already dwindling...I see this as a first step in the eventual elimination of the lounges altogether. [​IMG]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow, time to go to QSF.

5. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ranks don't mean anything, ***

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Too little, too late.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

They do now, AdAstra. If you have to be a Lieutenant Commander to enter TNZ or post a thread...Rank matters.

8. Captain J

Captain J Commodore Commodore

Christian, maybe you could just take a few minutes to explain why you are so against IP checking. I am a frequent user of this BBS and often see new names that seem fairly obviously to be posting in the the same style as those who have been banned. A visit to TNZ would aptly demonstrate some of this.
    BTW I agree with many of your suggestions especially not allowing posts in TNZ to count. Maybe this would cut down on the trolling. Thanks.

------------------
    "In the end there can be only one!!!!!" -- The Highlander
    "Party on dudes!!" -- Abraham Lincoln (Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

You couldn't have done this while I was still a Commander? Sigh... (now don't go getting sarcastic and cutting me back to Commander [​IMG] )

Good measures, all around.

Oh, and if you get a moment, kill AceRimmerECH. He was my experimental dupe (I'll confirm at his contact email).

Josh

10. Reaperman

Reaperman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All half measures I'm afraid (other than having a new Admin).

I don't understand why your opposed to IP logging Christian. That would effectively stop the accusations regarding multiple user names.

------------------
    "Spelling should be pensioned off... it terrorises human beings from birth." - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Trek Talk.

11. Seven of eleven

Seven of eleven Vice Admiral Admiral

On two: I agree with the three minute thing simply because of flood control. My first day here I decaposted by accident. However the newbies, they should be allowed to create new threads.

Members join because they wish to add something to the board. If you don't let them post, an original subject might never see the light of day. Also there are those who join because they wish to know a specific thing ie: What's the name of that robot on The Next Generation? Need to know right now, my master thesis is due tomorrow. Ok, maybe exagerating a bit but I find the inability to create new threads discriminatory.

On three: Strongly suggest you add Misc to that. It has nothing to do with Trek and is in the same vain as the lounges.

Also, would QS&F, Annoucements and sci-fi fantasy apply since they don't really have anything to do with Trek specificaly?

------------------
    I am an individual; just like everyone else.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

250 posts is better and I agree that there should be a greater punishment for multiple usernames.

TNZ has been terrible for months now and since Enterprise began airing it is worse then ever, so what every you do will be an improvement.

13. The Evil Trekkie

The Evil Trekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Geographic Location (State, Country, etc.)
    This is the only one, I have a problem with. I enjoy the Lounges and will continue to post there if this rule is implemented, but I do not understand why it needs to be implemented, in the first place. If it is because of spamming, then the mods should be more strict about in there. If it is because, not all the topics are Star Trek related, then doesn't that mean Misc should not increase post count either?

I think of this discussion board, more of a place to meet fellow Star Trek fans but with this new rule, it seems like you are trying to discourage that.

14. Cirrus

Cirrus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

>> DEA leaving:
    It's too bad. Lane is easily the most widely respected member of this board. Frankly, it's a diservice to us all that he has felt it necessary to step down. This board already suffers from a burn-out problem amongst its leadership - effectivly running people out of town is not a good idea.

>> New Admin:
    Whatever. I agree that label is probobly the best choice, but it doesn't really matter. The revolving door will continue unless other changes are effective.

>> TNZ moderation:
    Excellent. This has been needed for a long time. It should have come earlier.

>> Multiple usernames:
    I'm against banning freemail addresses, and unless you want to eliminate most of the users under the age of 18, you should be too. Unfortunatly (and believe me, I stress the unfortunatly part), it should be increasingly clear that the only way to stop multiple usernames is to begin IP logging. You don't even have to do it all the time, but mearly switch it on whenever we suspect someone of using an alternate name.

If there is some legal or technical reason why IP logging is not feasible, then out with it. Make it public. Otherwise, your continued resistance to the idea forces us to question your priorities.

>> Post number requirement for TNZ:
    At this point I can accept that.

>> Flood control for posters w/ < 100 posts:
    Good idea.

>> Restricting new posters from creating threads:
    Bad idea, considering that most of the people that show up here do so because they have something on their minds that they want to talk about. Unless you want most new members to immigrate to a competitor, don't initiate this. (Although I'm not completely against restricting new posters from creating threads in certain forums, such as QSF)

>> Posts in TNZ and Lounges not counting towards final count:
    Add Misc to that list and it ought to be a fairly good way to control spamming. The best way would be to eliminate ranks (or make them based on time instead of quantity of posts - an idea that I think is worth exploring).

------------------
    "The fact that slaughter is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later someone will come along with a sharp sword and hack off our arms."
    - Carl von Clausewitz

15. Seven of eleven

Seven of eleven Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed! (says the person who joined on the second of December 99)

------------------
    I am an individual; just like everyone else.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

ya i would feel alot better if you made the ranks by time spent on the bored. i wonder what morn will do when he gets droped from commodore to cadet [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Guest

Guest Guest

o & if we still use the rank by amout of post idea please let posts in misc count for rank because some members only post there.

18. The Evil Trekkie

The Evil Trekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Geographic Location (State, Country, etc.)
    I also think that gainning rank through time, instead of posts, is a good idea.

------------------
    "We're TrekBBS members, strange is part of the job."

TER's Jurassic Park Discussion Board

19. Zun

Zun Commodore Commodore

The only kingdom where everything can happen...
    Let it be noted that, even though I am one of the Miscellaneous mods, I support a "Post Count In Misc Does Not Count" move. Since, really - this is a Star Trek board.

20. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Commodore Commodore

I think this Che Guevera and Slarus one month ban thing is an outrage. They've posted under alternate usernames countless times. They've flamed, trolled, and done everything else they can do countless times. How does this all add up to a one-month ban? I think DEA basically proved Slarus should be permanently banned from this BBS. That's the only fair and right thing to do.

As for all the other changes/proposals, I have no problems with any of them.

------------------
    Sign the Star Trak: Weslay Crushar by JeffK for Series VI Petition

Proud member of Morn the Lorian Fan Club!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.