a new hire for a new show

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Apr 24, 2020.

1. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Disney does what Disney wants to do...........not what you think they should do or announce. And proofreading is worth the time it takes.

BillJ, Serveaux and Campe like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annoyed by inappropriate use of the word "Need"
    Exactly so.

And, frankly, I am at the point where I have to ask what the fandom gets out of this? No, seriously, I want a real answer. What does fandom get out of arguing over recent announcements of hiring and firing by a corporation that they have no stake in. Fans, myself included, are not entitled to anything from Disney. They are allowed to do whatever they want, and then the consumer can decide if they want to buy the product or not.

But, this has hit the point where fans have gotten the sense that they somehow control all of Disney's inner workings. And, we don't. We don't have that kind of power, and complaining about this comes across as petty. At this point, I would say to fans please put your money where your mouth is. Stop buying Disney products, stop buying LFL products, unsubscribe from Disney+ and don't watch ABC, ESPN, etc. Go out and find enjoyment in the thing you are supposedly a fan of rather than reasons to complain.

/rant.

Sorry all.

Qonundrum, Masiral, Campe and 2 others like this.
  3. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

No need to apologize. I would imagine the fandom had something to do with Lucas finally throwing up his hands and saying,"Screw it. Disney can have it."

Honestly, I thought yesterday's Trekkies were the most jaded and cynical people on the planet. Today's Star Wars fanatics make them look downright sunny with rainbows by comparison. At least wait until you see the finished product before trashing it into oblivion.

4. fireproof78

Thank you.

And, yes, fandom is absolutely responsible for Lucas throwing up his hands and walking away. And it's best exemplified by this article in NYT. And, with due respect to passionate fan bases Star Wars, and Disney and LFL doesn't belong to the fans. Fans can own their reactions, their recreations, their costumes and fan art. Fans may be responsible for the success of the brand but that doesn't convey ownership.

For me, the time has past where I am going to devote my energy to decisions I have no say in.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

LFL probably hasn't said anything because technically the show hasn't actually been announced. The announcement was about Leslye Headland being hired, and the stuff about the show was secondary to that. Disney and Lucasfilm probably aren't going to talk about it, until they actually have something to talk about. At this point it sounds they probably don't have anything beyond a very basic idea.
    And I don't know if this was really a leak, pretty much everything I saw looked like an official announcement. It's just that the announcement was about Headland, not the show.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you even try to spell properly?

Jedi_Master and KennyB like this.
  7. KennyB

Yup and with COVID any production details are pointless to announce with the fluid situation currently. When they are ready they will tell us.

8. fireproof78

And there's no reason for them to tell us anyway.

KennyB likes this.
  9. KennyB

Oh I agree! It's just SOP for some reason these days. I remember the days when you would not know a damn thing about a movie or show until the trailer dropped. It may have been better than way for everyone.

fireproof78 likes this.
  10. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m cautiously excited for the prospect of any new Star Wars. I’m not going to get overly excited positively or negatively when we’re more than likely two years (at best) out... if at all.

KennyB likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

For most of this kind of stuff I usually assume we aren't going to get any real information until one of the Comic-Cons or if it's Star Wars or Star Trek, their franchise specific conventions. This year is going to be a bit weird in that regard since a lot of that stuff has been canceled. I'm expecting to start getting a steady stream of trailers and announcements over the next couple months, since they canceled SDCC, and they're still going to have to release all of the stuff they had originally planned for it.

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Disney's probably the richest company in Hollywood, and we're likely headed into a huge virus-induced recession. Getting someone in LA to accept money to make Star Wars is probably the easiest thing in the world.

Spot261 likes this.
  13. Serveaux

Serveaux Boomer American Premium Member

Yeah, dude...did they report that "someone (ahem KK) allowed the leak" to get to them?

They did not.

If you're going to try to defend claims that you can't defend, in future you might as well start by reading and understanding the criticism of the nonsense claim that you're fruitlessly trying to defend.

The proofreading thing is a separate issue but, yeah, do that.

BillJ likes this.
  14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Another SJW hire = Why can't men still be running everything?

BillJ and The Realist like this.
  15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Star Wars should hire SLW instead.

[​IMG]

Masiral and Gary Mitchell like this.
  16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I guess Marcia Lucas was an SJW hire. I mean, she knew the director and the writer and was a woman. Her skill at editing had to have been a secondary concern. I mean, look at what she did. :shifty:

The 1970s with their Women's Lib tyranny.

BillJ likes this.
  17. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

We're facing the worst global catastrophe in over a century and for some people the main concern is still "the SJWs at Disney".

This is why the human race will die out, not a disease or a meteor, not a solar flare, but because of our unmitigated capacity for maintaining heads up arses.

BillJ, cardinal biggles and antinoos like this.
  18. fireproof78

The sheer amount hand wringing over Disney HR decisions continues to baffle me.

19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Admiral Admiral

The only thing I know about this lady is people say "The Russian Doll" is a good show. I have noticed lots of the people complaining are bringing up that she use to be a personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein and I got to say that doesn't sound good if it's true. Not something I am sure would be a roadblock in many places because people connected to him continue to have success in other places but it does seem like a controversial thing that Disney usually tries to avoid due to it's reputation but then they did reverse course on James Gunn and they are talking about bringing Whedon back despite him being in the headlines because of his ex-wife calling him out for cheating. Maybe they are only worried about controversial stuff within the movies and shows.

Jason

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Star Wars has to be one of the few franchises where an annoucement of a new production actually pisses some people off.

Serveaux, fireproof78 and Spot261 like this.