A little help, please

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by RodrigoBrowncoat, Mar 16, 2013.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    This is how I first read this:

Tired eyes and too much Elementary bingeing/gorging on the Miller-Liu loveliness.

One of my fave wtf? eps is def Scientific Method. Has a touch of the Hellraisers about it.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jesus was naked when he carried his cross to the Golgotha.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not in One Million frescoes he wasn't.

4. Guy Gardener

Prudes.

That king of kings miniseries from the 70s they always rerun for Easter, the Romans stripped him, whipped him raw and then crowned him with that Coronet of Thrones.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:k7K0tLRe-i4J:http://m.blogs.christianpost.com/building-his-kingdom/the-death-of-jesus-christ-part-i-of-iii-bearing-his-cross-11124/%2Bnaked+jesus+bearing+his+cross&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&client=firefox-a&hl=en&ct=clnk

Passion of the Christ is another movie I haven't seen, by choice I think, but I get the impression that a lot of bad things happened to the Messiahs genitals in that movie.

5. teacake

I've seen The Passion and he's not naked, rather he has a loin cloth. Otherwise though it's very brutal. I assume the christians who sent me the movie would have had a heart attack about nakedness and it wouldn't have been shown to every youth group in america if there had been actual genitals.

Wait a minute. Am I to understand I have seen a movie that Guy Gardener has not seen??

6. Guy Gardener

Mel Gibson is a Prude?

That's fricking hilarious.

But yes, even more prudes.

Cherry picked white washed Christian propaganda pisses me off.

But yes, the unthinkable has happened.

Although, I do "own" the movie and could watch it when ever I want, it's still an incredible achievement you should be damn proud of.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. teacake

I am glowing with pride!

Of course you could ruin my achievement at any time but that's okay. I'll always have this post.

8. Guy Gardener

Please, I just finished downloading Superfirends.

I'll take that Christ Metaphor over Gibson's JC anyday.

(Saturday Night live last week had Justin Timberlake as Caligula in a skit called The Adventures of Sober Caligula... Every one showed up for an orgy but Caligula is insisting they give him an intervention... These Romans are Crazy.)

9. teacake

I like to know what people are talking about and when I watched The Passion everyone I knew IRL was talking about it, watching it, sending out dvd's of it to the unwary.. so I watched it. It was okay, I'll admit I got a bit choked up when..

in the end, Jesus dies.

I'd never watch it again though. Too long, and the table scene pissed me off.

I thought The Last Temptation of Christ was a much better movie.

10. Guy Gardener

I had a friends father telling me (a couple months ago) that Jesus Christ Super Star in his opinion, not that he's actually seen it, was still one of the most virulent continuing attacks on Christianity today.

Old people.

Clueless.

11. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Teacake, if you had a nickel for eveytime people asked if you were male or female... ;)

:sigh: You are both in error. Starting at the END of season 3 would miss the AWESOME "Worst Case Scenario"... but the OP would not understand why its so AWESOME if they did not recall who Seska was. They would also miss the INCREDIBLE "Warloird", not to mention its equally FASCINATING "Before & After", neither of which would be as striking unless you saw Kes' full 3 season "arc".

And we won't even mention the travesty of missing B'Elanna's story, as it unfolds in season ONE'S "Parallax", Prime Factors", and AMAZING "Faces", Season Two's "Persistance of Vision", and "Prototype" along with the return of the MAQUIS in "Manuevers" during BLT's IMPASSIONED defense of Chakotay to Janeway but even MORE IMPORTANT when B'Elanna once again faces herself in "Dreadnaught", or season THREE'S "Blood Fever".

Speaking of TRAVESTY, skipping season 2 not only misses "Deathwish"... more EGREGIOUSLY it skips "Deadlock". (You thought I was going to say "Resolutions"... didn't you! Well that IS on my fav list, but one shouldn't watch it without the ep that preceeds it, and I am NOT going to mention "T" without wearing body armor. That ep will engender more vitriol than "Threshold". Instead I'll ask... do you really want to misseps that contain such Janeway Gems as "Caretaker", "Eye of the Needle", "The 37's", "Elogium". Alliances", "MELD" for glory's sake!!!!

No.... skipping to the end of season 3 misses too much.

I SO agree with loving this ep, especially since the final scene is one of THE BEST SCENES IS ALL THE TREKDOM, not just of STV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYwEaBu6lfQ

I blame the missunderstanding on a clown phobia. :vulcan:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYwEaBu6lfQ[/yt]

Guy... what do you consider "old"?

Love that musical! :bolian:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  12. Guy Gardener

This was my 40 year old friends 70 year old father.

Very few 70 years olds are still young at heart.

How can you really compare the threat of Jesus Christ Superstar to the rampant child sexual abuse and the catholic churches frantic crusade to cover up all that under-age rape to shine their image? Once priests stop boffing all the alter boys, then you can start censoring and burning Broadway script-books. In fact think of it as a reward for a job well done, we'll let you have JC Superstar to cast the fuck out, if you can track down and castrate all the paedophiles using the Church to hide their hedonistic proclivities for 7 year olds.

But you can't say that to a seventy year old that thinks God is literally real (I can't respect a Christian for being Christian or believe that someone is a Christian unless they can explain to me with a straight face how the Earth is 6 thousand years old... Not that there's anything wrong with being a Protestant, but don't say you believe in the bible when what you actually believe in is fanfiction loosely based on the convenient parts of the Bible.) because it's tacky.

Also, that wasn't me agreeing with Teacake, that was me amending Teacakes instincts to start with Scorpion II because sometimes what drives that woman is as obvious as it is carnal. I'm of the opinion that if you don't watch the whole thing then you're a wussy. In fact if anyone wants to prove that they have big hairy pulsating balls, at least metaphorically, they should watch then re-watch Threshold after every new episode on their next marathon. Yes, even after Threshhold in it's actual place in the episode order. Threshhold after Threshold.

13. teacake

That sounds kinky.

JRulez I would always suggest that people start at the beginning and proceed in the most memoryalpha or whatever-wiki the show in question has order to the end. As I have done with every show I've watched. But I've come to accept that some people want to just get to the good bits and skip all the filler, not understanding that the good bits are sometimes better because of the filler. So I'm very graciously making non-completist suggestions when someone asks for them as you can't force a person to watch 7 seasons of television because it's good for them. Unfortunately.

14. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I think it should be watched in consecutive order in its entirety, but I don't only think that about Voyager. It is how I would ever watch any TV series.

Just my opinion though~~

15. teacake

That said, skipping TATV is always acceptable.

16. Guy Gardener

Really, you don't like the explanation of why Star Trek died?

17. teacake

You know how at funerals everyone talks about the person's life and not how they died from being poisoned by smarmy gits? I'm like that with Star Trek.

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Why should I watch a show that should never have existed in the first place? I have as much respect for Enterprise as I do for Abramsverse Trek, which is basically none. Except for Porthos, because he's cute.

I used to work backstage in the local theatre, and we did two productions of Jesus Christ Superstar - in 1981 and in 2000. The first time around, it was absolutely magical! I remember what a great mood everybody was in, how much fun everything was, and the camaraderie between cast and crews was amazing. I recall not understanding the references in a couple of songs, so I actually read my New Testament to see what they were talking about (didn't help).

The second time... well, a generation later wasn't so magical. Different people, different sensibilities, not so much camaraderie or good feelings. Plus, I was chronically ill and unable to do much physically, so I was mainly a consultant. I remember getting a distressed phone call from one of the costume crew, asking how to make a loincloth... I asked which style (there were several basic styles back in those days), and told them to have the actor strip to his underwear, climb on a stool, and let them wrap the material around him and pin it where it needed sewing - not too tight, and not too loose - so it wouldn't fall off onstage. The actor playing Jesus was an old hand at this sort of thing, not too modest, and had played an apostle in the first production 20 years earlier. It all worked out.

19. teacake

Umm...because it's a lot of fun and has some great stories and because you really respect my opinion and that makes you wonder if you could be missing something wonderful?

20. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Teacake, I respect you, but I think we will simply have to agree to disagree on the merits of Enterprise. I tried it, hated it, and see no reason to subject myself to any more of it.