A Hater Revisits nuWho

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Bones2, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure what the point of that episode was, really. I walked away from it thinking that Mr. Smarty-Pants's problem wasn't that he was a genius but that he was a dick--of course, it's an accepted truism that the smarter you are, the more likely you are to be miserable and being miserable can make you into a bastard. Indeed, the point seemed to be merely to pit House "against" an extreme version of himself.

The problem with transferring any of this to Doctor Who, of course, is that we really don't know how much more advanced than us the Time Lords are. Are they essentially just humans with two hearts and incredibly advanced technology or do their craniums (crania?) house brains wired so much more efficiently than ours as to be analogous to comparing the Gateway I'm using to type this message with the Commodore Vic 20 my dad bought the family when I was a kid? Rassilon mentioned a billion--a freakin' billion!--years of Time Lord civilization. Even if we assume he's going all the way back to the Time Lord equivalent of Sumer rather than the building of the first TARDIS, that's a long, long time. One would figure that the Time Lords would have little more in common with us than we would have with a ship full of white mice. :vulcan: (And not the Douglas Adams white mice either. :p) I guess a part of me always figured the non-Time Lord companions as more akin to pets than lovers.

EDIT: Understand that I'm just articulating an idea here. I think you've pretty much done the impossible: won an argument on the TrekBBS. "The Girl in the Fireplace" made me cry last time I saw it. Obviously, my heart (alas, I have but one) already sees things your way.

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I hope that wasn't there sales pitch.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Where sales pitch?

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I'm not sure I agree. I'm not sure I disagree either, but I've always felt that the most interesting relationships in fiction are those which are clearly beyond platonic but also non-sexual.

Of course, that's probably related to the fact that I have almost no sex drive, yet still enjoy the company of women a great deal.

Hmm. Now that I think about it, "beyond platonic" is an oxymoron, since the word "platonic" describe's Plato's notion of "perfect love" which is so profound it needs no physical aspect to be complete.

5. Brutal Strudel

You have almost no sex drive? My God, how I envy you.

I feel I should add that it makes perfect sense that the companions would fall in love with The Doctor, especially that handsome devil no. 10.

6. Lindley

It's not as good as you might think. It can be very annoying to want a relationship, yet never really be attracted to anyone.

Or, for that matter, to be enamored of a friend but not sufficiently motivated to risk the friendship on a chance.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm.

First, I think we should distinguish between a sexual relationship and a sensual relationship. Broadly-speaking, a sexual relationship can be said to be any relationship strongly influenced by the parties' sexes. By that logic, the relationship between a father and a daughter is a sexual relationship, since it is defined by the father's being a male and the daughter's being a female -- whereas a health father/daughter relationship is very clearly not sensual, insofar as it involves no sexual activity between the father and the daughter. So we need to start by distinguishing between sexuality and sensuality, since sexuality is a term that encompasses far more than romance or eroticism.

Plato seems to have this notion there that a platonic relationship, because it is non-sensual, is somehow superior to a romantic relationship. I rather strongly disagree with him in that regard; a platonic relationship is not more mature, nor is it more "complete." It is simply a different kind of relationship that requires a different set of things to be complete, that's all. Same with familial relationships. Platonic, familial, and romantic relationships all inherently require mutual behaviors on their members' parts to be complete; they all require exchanges of affection. Whether it's going to a son's basketball game, going to your buddy's birthday party, or making love to your spouse, all require exchanges of affection. The distinguishing feature is not whether one relationship requires more or less exchanges of affection (as there can be families, friends, and lovers who love each other more or less than other families, friends, or lovers); the distinguishing feature is simply in what form the exchanges of affection manifest.

I would argue that saying that a platonic relationship is superior to, or more complete than, a sexual relationship, is a bit like saying that a cube is superior to, or more complete than, a pyramid. It's a meaningless statement. Pyramids and cubes are different, and each might be better suited for a particular task than the other, but neither one is inherently better than the other. A cube and a pyramid just are.

I would argue that Doctor Who, and the Doctor, ought to have all kinds of relationships. He should have platonic friends to whom he is absolutely devoted -- and he does. Donna, in particular, seems to have, in the Doctor's words, become his best friend, even though neither one is in love with the other. And certainly the Doctor should fall in love -- because the ability to carry on a long-term romantic relationship, to develop that kind of trust that needs to exist between lovers, leads to a visceral sort of vulnerability that requires extreme maturity to handle well.

Really, the only kind of relationship I don't want to see the Doctor have is a familial relationship -- and that's primarily because I think it would undermine the sense of mystery if we learned too much about the Doctor's Time Lord family and origins.

Bottom line: It takes all kinds of relationships, and the idea that one kind is better than another is, I think, unfair. I was more attracted to the Doctor/Rose love story, for instance, but it's not like I stopped watching the show when it was all about the Doctor/Donna friendship.

8. Brutal Strudel

I've often wondered about that: what is a relationship but a really good friendship w/ sex? There's a really great thread over in TOS where we discuss--with surprising seriousness--the depth of feeling between Kirk and Spock. Few married couples will ever know that degree of love but, outside of slash fic and juvenile jokes (and I love juvenile jokes), it's a platonic relationship.

When you say "enamored," then, I have to wonder what you mean?

Now that I think on it, though, there is a significant difference between a friendship and a "relationship": unless you live and work in the same place, friends don't usually spend as much time together as couples. I'm reeling from a surreal experience where, for close to one week, I spent a significant amount of time every day with a stripper who I find incredibly sexy but I fear may be a non-violent sociopath. While I was originally in it for the sex (which I did pay for, but a rather nominal fee all things considered), it wasn't long before I genuinely began to enjoy her company, even though we have nothing in common, she does not read and her taste in tv (which we watched a lot of together) is execrable.

(The above is not a boast: I spent the better of today sick to my soul over the degree of my need for this girl even though I know I'd be a fool to call it love--which then made me wonder what love is, anyway. [Sex misspelled--Harlan Ellison] When lust and loneliness intertwine, it can be the death of a man--or woman.)

Which I guess brings us back to The Doctor. I was a Trekkie before I was a Whovian and I have no problem with my heroes getting their ashes hauled. I just suppose I saw The Doctor as someone spared that particularly messy emotional need. Even as early as thirteen, I guess, I knew I was in for it.

9. Lindley

When someone's mere company is enough to make your problems seem insignificant. When a smile at you can make you feel like a king. When you spend days after each time you manage to see them (far too infrequently due to circumstances) going over key points of that meeting in your head. When a two-hour lunch can be the high-point of an entire month without even trying.

That's what I mean.

10. Brutal Strudel

Hmmm. Okay. Damned sweet, really. And you know what? I get it. Because even if you don't want to necessarily have sex with this person--or have it that often--you do want to be this person's number one. It's hard to have that if and when the person is romantically involved with someone else.

I guess that's what I'm saying vis-a-vis my little friend: I never realized how basic a pleasure it was just to be with someone, even in a grotesque parody of a romantic relationship--a gfe, if you will.

Things really are tough all over. Know that I do sympathize.

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    ... get married.

:(

12. Brutal Strudel

13. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

:rommie:

Fantastic.

14. Bones2

Right, I'm sorry the gaps between reviews is getting longer and longer. I'll do my best to make them more frequent. Which I know I said last time, but I'm saying it again.

The Girl in the Fireplace (**½)

So, we open with some aristocrat looking people under attack at some sort of ball. A clock on a mantlepiece is broken, and a man's telling a woman she should leave. And then she talks into the fireplace asking for the Doctor. It's a good teaser, because we've got no idea what's going on, but it seems whatever it is would be quite interesting.

3000 years later (so the caption says, though the story would later imply around 3300), and the Tardis lands on a deserted seeming ship. Mickey's more impressed than Rose, because this is the first time the poor lad's really had a go on the Tardis. He's also wearing a great t-shirt. The "Know Your Roots" one with the NES controller. And then, through a door, there's an 18th century fireplace. How odd. Looking through it, the Doctor finds himself talking to a little girl. From the 18th century. He then spins through the fireplace (mystery bookcase style) and ends up weeks later, though at night again. He lights a candle with the screwdriver, which is a new one on me. Some genuine tension builds as something in the room is ticking, but it's not the clock. I was actually quite absorbed as the Doctor looked under the bed. Then we see the ticking robot, and it's doing some strange doings. Not even the girl's poor acting diminishes the effect. Apparently the robot managed to break the clock without anyone noticing so he'll be the only ticking thing in the room. Which is a fairly clever thing. I mean yes, how the robot got in there and managed to break the clock without anyone noticing, and how the girl herself wouldn't notice the ticking coming from the wrong place, and why the robot ticks at all are all possible flaws. But it's still cleverish, breaking the clock so the ticks don't clash.

Anyway, the clockwork robot has a go at attacking the Doctor, but gets caught in the mantlepiece so the fireplace does a twirl back, after which the Doctor disables it by fire extinguishing it (or spaceship plasma fire extinguishing it). It teleports away nearby, and the Doctor tells Mickey and Rose not to go looking for it while he's away doing some fireplace investigations. But being a pair of dunces, they go and look for it anyway.

By the time the Doctor gets back, the girl's all grown up now. Still in her room at that moment in time though, helpfully. She's impressed to see him again, and snogs his face off. Erm, ok I suppose. He's a handsome guy. As you've probably gathered, I'm no big fan of Doctor romances, but I suppose it's a natural reaction on her part. Good thing it's the Tenth Doctor though. If Pat Troughton span round your fireplace and bothered you once a decade, you'd probably be a little more unnerved. Of course, once she's gone, the Doctor acts all delighted now he's realised who she is (Madame de Pompadour). I'm definitely not such a fan of that. He goes back to the ship to find Rose and Mickey gone and a white horse there.

While the Doctor was gone, Rose and Mickey found a camera with what we're meant to believe is a real eye in, and a human heart linked in to the ship and beating away. Rose says it's human anyway. How she'd know that for sure is anyone's guess.

The Doctor finds where the horse must have got into the ship through, and goes through some doors that lead to the palace garden/grounds (with no other horses in sight, I might add), where he ducks behind some garden furniture while Madame de Pompadour is wandering around talking with a friend. Not to put to fine a point on it, but her friend is black. In 18th century France. Maybe that's plausible, I don't know enough to comment. Rose and Mickey meanwhile find a sort of two-way mirror that looks into a room. The Doctor explains who she is, and also calls her one of the most accomplished women who ever lived. Again, I'm no expert, but that sounds like hyperbole to me. Especially as he knows far more Earth history than the few thousand years we're acquainted with.

Reinette (her nickname) is about to get attacked by another clockwork robot, so they jump through and freeze it. She tells it to tell what's going on, so it does. They're robots that have been trying to repair the ship, using bits of the crew even, and now they're jumping through time scanning her head. For mysterious reasons. Though if these robots are from the 51st century, why are they clockwork? I can understand their appearance, so that they blend in with the period, but being clockwork and ticking only draws more attention to them (especially at night), so they're not that way for the sake of blending in. So why, in the 51st century, have people built clockwork idiot robots who think it's alright to try fixing a ship by cutting up bits of the crew? It looks alright and seems interesting enough, but it's not standing up to much scrutiny. Anyway, after helpfully explaining what they're doing, the robot beams away. As if that wasn't Star Trek enough, the Doctor then does a mind meld with Reinette. I mean...what? I could be wrong, but I don't believe this is an ability the Doctor's had before. I also have to say, Sophia Myles' acting is bloody awful. It makes her odd flirting with him (once the mind meld goes two-way) into far more awkward a scene than it should be. And we know from Moffat's two-parter last time just what he means by "dance". Good grief.

Mickey and Rose meanwhile have been tranquilised and captured by the robots, then strapped down. Just after they wake up, the Doctor then turns up just in time, (pretending to be) drunk and looking like an idiot. And he proceeds to act like an idiot. He chatters on to the robots and gives away the plot that they're after Reinette's brain once she's 37 years old, same as the ship. Though if we take Earth years as an arbitrary measure, then would her brain have to be exactly the same age as the ship at the time? Down to the months, days, even seconds? The Doctor's right, these robots must be thick. He then tips some wine (which is actually "anti-oil", wherever he got that from and for all the sense it makes) over one of the robots, which stops its clockworkings, and pushes a lever on a nearby console to turn off the rest. Dare I say...silly things? Then he frees Rose and Mickey and gets about to trying to close down the time portals. Only they won't shut down, because one of the robots is still out in the field. Turns out this one has found the right place, so the lever flicks back (great, useful lever that) and the other robots come alive again and beam out. So what we have here is them not working while the plot needs them not to work, and them working again again as soon as they do need to. I'm starting to question whether Moffat really is that much better than RTD after all.

Next thing we see, Rose pays Reinette a visit at age 32 to warn her and suggests she try talking at the robots to hold them off. They chat away for quite a bit, but that's all that's worth mentioning. The rest is just romanticising over the Doctor, which I'm really not a fan of. And it isn't helped by Myles' terrible acting. Also, if it's the Tardis that makes all the language translation work and Rose is actually all the way back in 18th century France, then is the Tardis' influence going through the portal as well? Eh, whatever. Reinette then goes through into the ship of strange and hears some screams from one of the other time frames, so she goes back again.

Cut to 5 years later, and we're at the point of the pre-title teaser, with Reinette calling into the fireplace for the Doctor. He's having trouble getting through. She's eventually cornered in the middle of the ball by the robots. The solution to this? He comes crashing through the time portal window on the white horse. Which is why the story had it that the white horse came through the time portal then. That was useful of it. When introduced to the King of France, the Doctor acts unlikeably, and then he tells the robots how there's no getting back, so they fall down. The Doctor's trapped in Reinette's world now, and we have to endure some mawkish romance (and bad acting). This may have had some effect if we (or, at least, I) were able to engage with her character, but she's not really that interesting. However, as good luck would have it, she's had her fireplace moved with her, and happily that still works as a portal back due to the nonsense reason that it was offline at the time the mirror broke, so the link should be there. Meaning the time portal didn't go through to a place, but rather was tied to the physical object there. Which I would be tempted to condemn as silly, but it makes a sort of sense considering the double-sided fireplace being half in the ship the whole time. I guess. So, a quick sonic screwdrivering and a bang, and he can go back around. So he does.

The Doctor tells her to pack a bag and get ready to come with him (meddling with history more than I'd have thought advisable), briefly chats to Rose and Mickey, and does the switch thing again, only to find her dead by now. Left it a little bit too long there. Louis XV is there at the window watching her coffin leave, so he can do the bad acting in her place. She left the Doctor a letter, which he takes and leaves. Looking all sad he goes back to the Tardis, still not knowing why the ship was following her, and reads the letter. It's all romantic and sad, of course. And then that's pretty much the end. We see the outside of the ship and that it's called the SS Madame de Pompadour, hence explaining why the robots were after her. Which is a neat explanation. But it's a sad, slightly unfinished feeling ending. Which is not a criticism. A neat, happyish ending would have been all too easy, so it's nice that they didn't just go for that.

Even so, I'm not nearly as impressed by this episode as many seem to be. It has some clever ideas, but also enough silly things to give a Rusty script a run for its money. It also takes a lot of liberties with the character and nature of the Doctor. Worse still, Sophia Myles' acting is woefully bad. Wooden is far too kind. I found it impossible to care about her character by the end. The Doctor himself is also very unlikeable for the most part. She seems to fall in love with him merely because he's handsome and there every so often. There's much potential here and this could have been something great, but though many insist it is, I don't agree.

That zany screwdriver:
    1. Blows up a spinning Christmas tree. Ho ho ho.
    2. Scares off some Robot Santas. It's got itself a reputation now then.
    3. Opens a great big secret door. Opens doors, closes plot holes.
    4. Is used to threaten Cassandra's consciousness in Rose's body. A densely layered stupid thing is still a stupid thing.
    5. Only the Doctor knows how to hold down the on button. Then it opens a smaller, unsecret door.
    6. Makes a convenient ring thingy fall down.
    7. It locks an old door. An old, Scottish door. Didn't have enough time to put porridge in the lock.
    8. Fixes K9. But I won't begrudge it that.
    9. Lights a candle. Sadly not a scented one to cover up the smell of bullshit.
    10. Helps ascertain the continuing time portally nature of a fireplace.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think it's said pretty early on (in The end of the world in fact) that the TARDIS actually alters your brain so you can translate all other languages. You don't have to be in the proximity of the TARDIS for this to work.

Re the mind meld this bothered me originally but I believe there were parallells in the classic series. I know Baker used to hypnotise Sarah Jane and I beleive he may have done something like a mind meld on her.

I think you're being a trifle hard on this epsiode, although I do actually agree that it's one that gets far more adoration than it deserves. It's good (helped by a wonderfully melconcholy Gold score and the adorable Miss Myles) but not great, and I really wanted a scene with a bunch of French soldiers failing to stop the oncoming robots. Lovely as the design is, the clockwork robots never really convince as being that threatening.

and please don't moan about Mickey and Rose wandering off to get captured as that's what classic series companions did half the time anyway, and I thought you wanted the modern show to be more like the old one?

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The TARDIS translating languages telepathically originally comes from The Masque of Mandragora. Additionally, The Doctor has shown to have telepathic abilities in The War Games and The Three Doctors (at least, I think there may have been a couple of others).

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

She fell in love with him after seeing the whole of his life through the mind meld. :rolleyes:

Fans starting to claim that the Great and Powerful Moffat isn't better than RTD after all? Knew it'd happen. Called it the instant they announced he'd be taking over. :bolian:

You're dead to me.

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes.

19. Bones2

Well, I'd be alright with it if it was just a case of the Tardis altering your mind for good, but then in The Christmas Invasion we had the bit where the translation stopped working because the Doctor was unconscious. Considering Rose is then in another time altogether (without the Doctor), I'd have thought it shouldn't work any more.
    I don't recall that, but I'll take your word for it.
    Maybe my expectations were too high (I was fully expecting this to be 4 or 5 star material from its reputation), but the thing for me is that I have absolute no desire to see it again, and don't really think it was worth it. I think a better actress in the Reinette part could have saved it, but as it was, I couldn't engage with it. As for the robots, I think there's a certain menace to them to begin with, but that doesn't last, and they don't really make sense. If the story was something along the lines of "alien in 18th century France helps madman build robots to hold king hostage" or something, then the clockworkness would make sense, but they're meant to be from the 51st century.
    Wasn't really a moan. I'm not really too bothered by it, they're not that clever anyway.
    Telepathic to the point of a mind meld though? As I say, I could be wrong.
    Ah yes, quite right. Though she was already quite enamoured beforehand.
    Well this is a judgement based on a viewing of one of his episodes. Considering up to this point there was only the Empty Child two parter (which I thought was good, not great), and now knowing Blink was in the next series, this was quite a disappointment.
    Really though, she's a plank of wood. The closest thing to genuine emotion she showed was when snogging Tennant (itself a bit silly, considering she'd spent about 2 minutes of her life up to that point with him), and then considering they developed a relationship, that's not surprising.

20. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gotta say, I really like this story - for once in the show romance is handled properly imo, and I thought Sophie Myles was wonderful.