A Hater Revisits nuWho

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Bones2, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I do not... it's ever so slightly different.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

They are. They're both completely gratuitous, unnecessary insertions of the topic of sexuality into a family show. I mean, by God, children are watching this -- I don't want to have to explain to them what Sally and Billy are doing when the camera's off! ;)

Seriously, why do you not object to insertions of heterosexuality into a story but you do get irritated at mentions of homosexuality?

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's obviously because hetrosexuality is natural and has been around for thousands of years...not like that homo-sexuality which was only invented by trendy lefties in 1974 ;)

Seriously though it's the fear of the different I guess. Gay people on TV is just the latest version of it. Soon gay characters will be as usual on telly as black characters or, shock, women in positions of authority. Actually in many respects you could argue they already are...almost...

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

does that mean I have to include it in fanfics?

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I initially disliked "Boomtown", but it has really grown on me.

6. Sci

Your fanfic can include whatever you want. But let's be frank, it's not like fan fiction on the Internet has ever wanted for LGBT content. ;)

7. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

there is plenty of that, not something ive written myself, but i do want my fanfics to be as much like real Doctor Who as possible.

8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

God you truly are a small and narrow minded fool aren't you. I bet you're the kind of guy who stands in the corner of the SU bar staring at everyone in there having a good time and damning them for it.

You know what, I count myself as straight and I personally think that Captain Jack Harkness is one of the best characters on television in a long time and I also think that this so called gay agenda that Rusty is "pushing" on people is fucking brilliant.

Now go and read the Daily Fail and hang out with other hate filled small minded fools like yourself.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Some people are born on this planet to do nothing but hate sadly.

Jack is a great character and I say this despite being straight and early on sometimes the gay stuff made me a little uncomfortable but now normally I don't even give it a 2nd thought because I don't think TV should be about man/girl every 2 seconds. Jack has had moments with girls too but people seem to only complain about the male stuff because of there small minds.

10. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM.

Everyone .... in order for the discussion to continue, please keep away from the personal attacks. You can give point and counterpoint so long as it stays on the topic of the thread.

Bones, do yourself a favor and help the thread by not being so snide on such a sensitive and important topic.

11. The

The Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I'll lighten the mood with a song...

[​IMG]

12. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Not exactly the lyrics I would have chosen..... but it works. :lol:

13. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Where was I?

Right, one more time for clarity.

I object to the gratuitous use of any sexual references in a kid's show. Same goes for homosexual references, especially when they're there just for the sake of having something gay in there. It's hardly some blow for equality.

As for the character of Jack, I object to him because he's actually a bit of a vulgar stereotype (that and he's annoying). A true representation of gay people would be to have them just like everyone else, but of a different sexual persuasion. Jack, instead, is predatory and promiscuous, and talks in cheap innuendo and flirt. He's an obnoxious stereotype of a gay man.

All this is just my opinion of course, but I'd rather not be attacked just for having it.

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

You're making some rather dodgy assumptions here.

Jack Harkness is not supposed to be "a true representation of gay people", or any other kind of representation of gay people, really. He's a character, not a statistic. And yes, he is predatory and promiscuous, talks in cheap innuendo and flirts, not unlike, say, James Bond, whom - I'm sure you would agree - most people would not describe as a stereotypical gay man. He is also lively, enthusiastic, secretive and brave. In other words, like any other fictional character, Jack has flaws, habits and idiosyncrasies which make him unique. I don't see anything in him that I would call "stereotypically gay", except for the fact that he obviously digs guys.

I think he just annoys you for whatever reason, which is perfectly fine. But everything else is just after-the-fact justification.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Jack is a shit stereotypical gay character because he shags women too. ;)

16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh. You're right. Though to be fair, it's been a while since we've seen Jack with a woman.

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

excuse Jack for not cheating on Ianto, besides we dont know that Jack hasnt had a few meaningless shags since Children of Earth, im sure some of those were women.

18. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Or poodles.

19. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was a full-blown Whovian back in 1983, when I was 13, but I quickly realized that the show was mostly poorly written, poorly paced nonsense anchored by captivating actors (Davison, Pertwee and Tom Baker in the year I was watching them on PBS) and a zany eccentricity that passed for sophistication. (I was actually fond of the bad special effects in that they made me feel smarter for seeing the shows intellectual superiority to flasher entertainments like Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers. In retrospect, those shows were only marginally dumber. And they moved at a better clip.)

This new show is better paced and (usually) better written, sometimes exceptionally so.

20. Sci

Exactly.