A Good Romulan Movie, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Vulcanian, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's one of my favourite ENT arcs too. It's as close to the Romulan Wars & the Birth of the Federation as they were allowed... with the cancellation announced between Babel One and United.

2. Vulcanian

Vulcanian Commander Red Shirt

I know! It's unbelievable that they would cancel it just when Manny Coto announced that it was gonna get into the Earth-Romulan Wars. :mad: :vulcan:

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think she had a major role in that one TNG episode where a bunch of people try to steal trilithium from the ship (Picard's "Die Hard" episode - Starship Mine).

4. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

Count me in amongst those who wants to see a Romulan movie.
    I'd want to see more about the Romulan culture, preferably not to the extent to which the Klingons were explored, but just a little more.

5. Vulcanian

Really? "The Face of the Enemy" was the only episode I have mixed feelings about. Personally, I think the TNG Romulan episodes were top notch.

So the drama of "The Enemy" never got to you? Jarok wasn't one of the coolest Romulans ever? :confused:

6. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ADB stands for Amarillo Design Buereu. They do the Star Fleet Universe (Starfleet Battles, Prime Directive, etc).

Catalian Dar per the Star Trek V novelization is of Romulan/ Terran-Irish descent.

7. Vulcanian

What does that have to do with anything? :confused:

8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Unification, Spock walks the streets of Romulus freely, not attracting any attention with his flat Vulcan forehead. Does that mean that there are Romulans who also feature the flat head?
    Also, why do all TNG and beyond Romulans (and Vulcans for that matter) have haircuts that look like Moe Howard?

9. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Studios think in broad terms. After Nemesis, I doubt you will see the Romulans on screen for a long, long time. They have the stink of failure on them.

But then again, J.J. Abrams is a smart and gutsy filmmaker, who often gets his way...

10. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

It sucks that the Romulans get the blame for the failure of Nemesis. They were only in the movie a whole 5 minutes. :mad: :scream:

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Yeah the Romulans weren't responsible for the Picard Clone, or the Remans, or the uber-ridiculous warbird from hell, or the really stupid WMD plot device, or the (yet another) Data copy, or the...

Okay, well maybe they were, but you get the idea.

12. blakbyrd

blakbyrd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone mentioned that Dar didn't look fully Romulan, earlier in this thread.

13. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^Honestly, she had the eyebrows. The only thing that might have been missing would be the pointed ears, and she wore that thing over her ears that hid it, so she looked Romulan to me.

14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

What does this have to do with ST XI? I think I'll move it back, primarily for reasons like "because I can" and "I've never done it before".

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

She sure didn't *act* Romulan.

And 'Caithlin' is a human name...

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

To me, Nemesis was the opportunity to return the Romulans to being the bad guys of the Star Trek Universe--the enemy the Federation was most likely to enter a full-scale, all-out war with.

Instead we got Star Trek: Attack of the Clones with Remans getting more screentime than Romulans.

Nemesis should have been a no-brainer, a straightforward, no-clones or Remans allowed story about Picard and the Enterprise facing their equals in the Romulan Navy. If anything, Nemesis could have been simply a super-sized sequel to TOS' "Balance of Terror" or TNG's "The Defector" the same way TWOK was a sequel to "Space Seed."

But it's always easy in hindsight for someone to say "what oughta been done."

At this point, however, I don't think a Romulan movie is possible. Unless it's a movie about a full-out, "I ain't playing with you, fool!" Romulan attack on the Federation, any such movie probably runs the risk of being too much like "Nemesis redux"...

17. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

i would have preferred a big screen sequel to "Unification" myself.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Truth is, Paramount kept nixing any major Romulan involvement in stuff because they think the audience is so dumb we couldn't tell the difference between them and Vulcans. That's why they've been used so little as real adversaries. What we think is so cool about them is also the same reason they get no respect...

19. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It sure is. But the words: Romulus, Remus, Praetor and Centurion, all established as Romulan terms in "The Balance of Terror", have a human origin. So does Decius. In fact, all those are Roman. It's quite intentional, as they were modeled on the Romans.

Indeed, Vulcan is also Roman. And Spock is a human name. And so on; and so on. Suspension of disbelief is a reasonable price, I think: Better writers plunder from real cultures then have a half-baked attempt to establish new ones. I'd love a Romulan film that imported all kinds of Roman concepts wholesale, personally, but that's just me...

20. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By whose measure? If your gauge is the Next Gen Romulans then maybe... other then that she seemed Romulan enough to me.

Plus even with her odd first name she was identified as being Romulan by Talbot.

No but that doesn't tell us much. Even if we are to discard possible human ancestry we can easily infer she could have had eccentric parents who came across the name 'Caithlin' and thought it fit some Romulan cultural quirk.

I basiclly see the ToS Romulans and NG Romulans as two different species. Some where they got crossed with Klingons...

Sharr