7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 29, 2012.

?

Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"

Poll closed Oct 30, 2012.
  1. The girl who waited

100 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Something borrowed

35 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Is it bad that I really miss this?

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. You're Scottish, fry something

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I did read a Moffat interview where they said this season they were trying to cram a 90 minute movie of the week into 45 minutes every episode.

2. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Even before the the epsiode ended,i had a feeling how the ponds were going to leave.

3. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

And that I think is the problem, he's trying too hard to put too much in. It all turns into a jumbled mess.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather have a jumbled mess full of insane ideas than a classic three-act structure with an A plot and a B plot. Innovation trumps familiarity, as far as I'm concerned.

5. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Not really innovative though is it?

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I take it you must not read anything about the show in advance, either spoilers or official statements from BBC or Moffat? Because we've known since the spring that this would the episode where the Ponds were going to leave. Indeed, Moffat himself revealed the Weeping Angels were going to be in the Ponds' farewell episode.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Once I knew it was the Angels, I highly suspected how it'd end, and actually I'm ok with that, sometimes you don't want your expectations confounded :)

8. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhm NO! Something that is familiar but well done is a lot better than a crazy mess.

9. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has been a problem since nuWho began. nuWho can do intimate character pieces real well, but epic storytelling, forget it. Even two parters seem to lose steam in the end.

Maybe I've been spoiled by the great audio dramas from Big Finish but very few episodes have matched the quality of the better classic TV episodes.

10. Kruezerman

Innovation is great, it's what's keeping the industry alive, but if the story can't be followed and it jumps all over the place, what's the point?

Surely one can have both, surely the BBC, one of the world's largest media conglomerates knows this.

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Fixed points usually revolve around something historically significant that ALWAYS happened. Rory and Amy going back in time isn't unless they do something historically significant something so grandiose that it would become a fixed point... I don't see it though.

12. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's a case of "Bowie Base 1".
    More like a Father's Day don't change your personal timeline thing.

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Surely them disappearing from their own timeline would be a bigger blunder to their personal timeline.

14. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Maybe not: maybe they'er their own great-grandparents? :rommie:

dJE

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It just sucks that they rebooted the entire universe and managed to bring back Amy's whole family, only for her to lose them again by getting zapped back in time. I really do want to see how the Doctor deals with Amy's family in the "present day," if he does at all.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah but the moment she got her family back she buggered off in the Tardis so she can't have been that bothered :lol:

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm more concerned with how her family is dealing with Amy suddenly being gone forever.

Plus, after the universe rebooted, Amy had always had her family, so she had no reason to miss them anymore.

18. The Mirrorball Man

A bit of a moot point since the story we're talking about could be followed easily.

19. Kruezerman

Perhaps I should clarify, not the story of the episode (though that had pacing problems) but the story of the arch itself, indeed the season so far felt as if it doesn't make a lick of sense.

20. The Mirrorball Man

Not a lick of sense? I don't know, it seemed to be pretty straightforward. The Doctor didn't want the Ponds to leave him, the Ponds were thinking about quitting anyway, and circumstances ultimately made the decision for them. That's the arc, isn't it? What's nonsensical about that? Or are you talking about something else?