50th Anniversary Rewatch Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by dahj, Aug 29, 2016.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Star Trek
    "The Changeling"
    Originally aired September 29, 1967
    Stardate 3541.9
    This episode does have a lot of humorous qualities for one about a genocidal machine. Nomad gets in a lot of barbs at humanity and specific characters that are too pointed even for Spock. Gotta love Spock's reaction to Nomad's "Insufficient response." Of course, in that bag we get what's become one of TOS's more infamously sexist bits, referring to Uhura as "a mass of conflicting impulses."

Our heroes maybe make the connection with a 250-year-old Earth probe a bit too easily. "Nomad" is a common phrase. And why is Roykirk shown wearing what looks like a red Starfleet dress uniform? Does it include a kilt?

They do some creative stuff visually with the probe, like the way it hovers over Sulu's console and the POV shots of Nomad moving around.

Seeing this one right after "Adonais" makes for good behavioral consistency on Scotty's part, but it just seems repetitive. His flying off the handle and nearly getting himself killed was pretty stupid last time.

The reeducation of Uhura is an awkward bit of business...having her memory completely wiped and reteaching her leaves way too many questions. I get no impression that she's a completely blank slate with no memory of her actual past after that point. The episode tries to reset button a situation that shouldn't be easily reset buttoned.

This episode gives us perhaps the best mind meld sequence after "The Devil in the Dark"...and now with Spock's theme as an added flair!

This is also perhaps Kirk's masterpiece of one-on-one computer-killing..."I, Mudd" being a team effort. And like in "Return of the Archons," the phrase "prime directive" is used to describe an aspect of computer programming.

I think I've seen this question raised before, but if they can transport Nomad, can't they just scatter its atoms or trap it in the buffer?

Overall, a pretty solid episode. It moves along nicely, giving the characters a tense, intriguing challenge while not feeling padded as too many episodes do.

Next week:

2. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

That's an apt description of the episodes' tonal shifts from mass murder to silly humor in a heartbeat.
    I guess the writer was a woman? :p

The accent wasn't enough so they decided to go full stereotype of the brawling Scotsman? :ouch:
    To be fair, at least in this episode he only did it once.
    As for repetitiveness, we didn't need two sets of security guards vapourized in the exact same way.

Well executed scene, but he essentially mind melded with a mindless machine here, which is why the complaints about the "magical" properties of mind melds about the current show seem silly. They work how any given episode wants them to work really...

That's the real reason why Nomad killed Scotty, the only person who could do that. ;)

Overall a decent episode with an interesting premise, so interesting they decided to do it again for the first movie, and again on DS9 as the origin story for Odo. :D

There's a scene there where Chapel and Uhura talk to each other, though it's about a dog running, and Uhura's still half-vegetable, so I'm not sure if that qualifies for the Bechdel test. Still it's way more female interaction than usual on this show.

On the subject of learning, I'm concerned about the standards of education in the Federation if it takes about a week to finish college. Would definitely explain all the science and technology gone wrong episodes though... these people don't know what they're doing because they've learned nothing.

Even though it was tonally a bit weird I liked the humour in the episode, and there was a classic there when Spock compliments Kirk on his use of logic, and Kirk says "Didn't think I had it in me?"
    "No" :vulcan:

3. The Old Mixer

4. omnirad

omnirad Commander Red Shirt

At least NOMAD didn't have a dirty name plate and call its self Noah. ;)

5. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I'm sure if we had sent out the Vikings, Pioneers or Voyagers at the time of The Changeling, they would have done something like that. There was just no clever twist to make yet. ;)

6. dahj

Or just MAD.

"I am MAD!"
    "We see that, but what is your name?"
    "I am MAD!"
    "We know, you just killed 4 billion people, but what is your name?"
    "I am MAD!"
    *sigh*

Phoenix219 likes this.
  7. wayne66

wayne66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Changeling is an ok episode. Not one of my favorites. I have trouble believing that machine could kill over 4 billion people. Seems a bit implausible to me. It is always nice to see Kirk use his anti-machine logic on a well deserving target. This is another episode where one of the regulars gets killed and is brought back to life. Scotty must control his temper. It sure gets him into trouble. Scotty here is some friendly advice. Do not go down for a vacation on the planet Argelious. Read some technical manuals. You will enjoy yourself much more.:lol:

8. dahj

"Mirror, Mirror", Episode 33, October 6th

Tonight's Episode: Star Trek's take on the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I think?
    Well, McCoy's already Grumpy anyway...

9. The Old Mixer

Star Trek
    "Mirror, Mirror"
    Originally aired October 6, 1967
    Stardate Unknown
    Would it be an exaggeration to say that this is as good as Trek gets?

A twisted, intriguing new world to explore...all sorts of peril for our regulars who are trapped in it...Spock's goatee! Sulu's scar! Uhura's abs!

The episode does have its weak spots...Marlena seems like a big Debbie Downer. I don't think there's anything Kirk could have said or done in that quarters scene that would have pleased her. And I always found this bit awkward...

And never mind that the clock is ticking and they're lucky to be getting out of there with their skins...Kirk can't pass up an opportunity to get in some impromptu civilization-altering speechifying.

Uhura gets a "Captain, I'm frightened" moment without even having to say it, but she makes up for it by playing Mirror Sulu so well on the bridge.

Is this the first time we see Sulu's viewer come out?

Next week:

OK, we were bound for a letdown.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  10. The Old Mixer

11. dahj

I missed it on Friday, luckily my local station is rerunning it in about 5 minutes ;)

12. Antonovus

Antonovus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I bet Mirror Mirror would please Vaal.

13. dahj

Yep, it's a classic.

So did this come about as a revisit to the discarded "Pirate Enterprise" idea from The City on the Edge of Forever?

Don't get what the fuss is about the Tantalus field being seen as some amazing unbelievably advanced alien technology, it's essentially CCTV with a transporter that just doesn't rematerialize people.

Considering the amazing coincidence of everyone having a counterpart in the Mirror Universe, does that mean that Mirror Spock's Vulcan henchman has a counterpart on the Enterprise that Spock occasionally hangs out with and they diss the perfect specimens of humanity together? :D

He talks to Mirror Spock there in the exact same way he talks to computers when he wants them to selfdestruct.
    And according to DS9, he totally succeeds! ;)

14. omnirad

'Mirror, Mirror' is always a fun watch. I followed it with Star Trek Continues "Fairest of Them All' which actually recreates Kirk's beam out speech. That was a great homage, but makes you appreciate Shatner and Nimoy all the more. Their acting makes up for any silliness or cheesiness that some may hurl at TOS.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  15. The Old Mixer

I think that another arguable"flaw" of this episode is that it handwaves away the mirror situation of the evil crewmembers in the regular universe. They could have easily gotten a two-parter out of this if they'd fleshed out that end of the story to its full potential.

16. dahj

^^
    That could only work if Mirror Kirk would be inclined to pretend he's somewhat normal (otherwise it's immediately off to the brig courtesy of Spock), and we already got an "evil" Kirk trying to command the Enterprise in The Enemy Within.

17. omnirad

Seeing a batshit crazy evil Kirk is why I enjoy the ST Continues so much. The mirror counterparts on our Enterprise probably didn't last five minutes before being discovered. The DS9 Mirror episodes started off good, but made the Terrans weak, not evil. Enterprise finally gave us a Star Fleet crew of bad guys, and let Bakula and the rest chew the scenery to pieces! The TNG Mirror novel still stands out in my memory as some good campy fun. Long live the Empire!

18. The Old Mixer

That's how the episode handwaves the situation, but if they'd wanted to play it out, they could have made Mirror Kirk & co. as quick on the uptake and clever at giving themselves away as the regular ones.

Star Trek repeat itself? Perish forbid!

19. dahj

This week: Enterprise encounters a society run by a computer... :whistle:

20. The Old Mixer

I wonder how Mirror Kirk deals with troublesome computers....