50th Anniversary Rewatch Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by dahj, Aug 29, 2016.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Should have thought of this sooner...

2. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd seen the original series so many times, I've never bothered to get the remastered edition. I've just watched episodes as they happen to be on, from time to time. I finally decided to partake of the H&I rebroadcast of the remastered episodes, catching up with the 3rd season. I know there were cut scenes added back in, but for some episodes the additions are notable. So amazing to be going along with the usual, familiar episode and then to see footage that's unfamiliar. There's quite a bit of it in "All Our Yesterdays", and very important too. Some of this cut footage fills in gaps that were created by terrible edits made earlier on to accommodate commercial space (or censorship concerns). Anyway, it's a weird experience -- seeing "new Trek" that's actually very old. Like finding bits and pieces of long lost episodes. :)

What really got me in "All Our Yesterdays" was the extra bits where Spock and McCoy have a heated exchange, and you can see Spock's emotional control dissipating.

You know... Spock never thanked him. McCoy saved their lives! If he hadn't been so adamant about giving the portal a try, they'd have been stuck there, with Kirk never finding them. And of course, they'd have died because they weren't "prepared." I think the magistrate said you can survive for only a few hours without being prepared, so who knows -- they might have had just a day, to find themselves suffering ill effects with no cure... to die by the next morning.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  3. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Jeez, Gary7, two men embark on the only course open to them, and you seem to feel that something else is necessary!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    ZapBrannigan and Phaser Two like this.
  4. Gary7

Remember... Spock was resigned that they were imprisoned there in the Sarpeidon Ice Age. But it was McCoy who wasn't going to put up being the 3rd wheel. He'd rather die than hang around while Spock and Zarabeth have their romance for the remainder of their lives. He didn't know it, but he sensed that something just wasn't right and felt compelled to go back. Had he not? They'd have both died by the following day (unless they were immune to the time portal effects by not having been an indigenous species--however, remember that Kirk started growing faint as he was looking for the portal, and it seemed that he made it back to the library just in time). So yeah... Spock owes him his life! Spock has saved McCoy in the past... and likewise, McCoy saved Spock. So perhaps they're just so accustomed to pulling each other out of the grasp of death that it doesn't merit a firm acknowledgement. Kirk often brushes it off with a "thank you" then moves onto the next thing. ;)

5. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I was just making one of my extremely little jokes, referring to Spock's line from That Which Survives, right after Scotty saves them all. No further defence of your point necessary!

Gary7 likes this.
  6. Gary7

Hah! OK, I got it now -- thanks for filling me in. :)

7. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just adding in my review of the entire season, mainly just my thoughts about the show overall to this point.

You can read my blog post here. To those who have read my posts, thanks very much. I'll be doing it again in September!

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  8. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great Ideas

9. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, they're showing reruns of the episodes from the same time period as Discovery right as the trailer dropped. What a coincidence, might have to give it a look :D

10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We have another couple of months until season two starts. But back in 1967 they were already getting ready.

50 years ago today Alexander Courage recorded about thirty minutes of library cues for season two. Some cues were re-recordings of scores from season one: some from Courage himself, some from other composers. It's interesting to hear how Courage conducts Gerald Fried and Fred Steiner.

Courage also recorded several cues not meant for any specific episode. These would find their way into several memorable scenes. Kirk reading the U.S. Constitution (or Kirk telling Mirror Spock to fight the Empire)? Here. The downbeat ending of Private Little War? Here. (Take THAT, Mr. Cushman.) The opening title of Amok Time (after the opening credits)? Kirk's corridor fight in Journey to Babel? All recorded separately from the episodes.

50 years ago today Courage also recorded a new arrangement of the opening and closing titles. With its soprano performance by Loulie Jean Norman this has become the definitive version of the Star Trek theme. In Herb Solow and Bob Justman's book the claim is that this was the first season theme and that because they didn't want to pay the singer any residuals that the vocals were gone for season two. This is the exact opposite of what happened. I just looked over on wikipedia and they repeat the same damn story. Arrrgh.

Next up: Catspaw. Music Composed and Conducted by Gerald Fried. Recorded 6/21/67.

UnknownSample likes this.
  11. Tallguy

Fifty years ago today George Duning recorded Metamorphosis. Almost six months ahead of air date! What a change from first season!

This is by far my favorite Duning score. One of my favorite Trek scores, period.

12. dahj

Did any episode of Season 2 manage to air in production order? :D

13. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I was sitting at my desk this morning and felt it was time for a rewatch of Trek, myself. I'm starting tonight. From TOS to ENT, 6 series, 721 episodes and 13 movies. I try to write my thoughts down this time.

14. dahj

Season 2 "premieres" in little under a month, so I'm bumping this thread in case anyone new is interested in joining in, there's still time to go through a leisurely binge of Season 1 to catch up ;)

The premise is the same as last season, we watch episodes on the 50th anniversary of their original US airdate and then discuss them here. This year the show moves to Fridays, starting on September the 15th.

15. Tallguy

Excellent. Looking forward to it. (OTOH, I've noticed how much more I've been getting done this summer not watching four DC shows, Agents of SHIELD, AND a Star Trek re-watch.)

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm going to be keeping my "50 Years Ago This Week" posts in The Classic/Retro TV Thread because that's become the hub of my 50th anniversary viewing.

I have a silly big lineup of 50th anniversary viewing for the coming TV season:
    • Mission: Impossible
    • The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    • The Rat Patrol (first half of the season only at this point, unless Decades airs more episodes in the meantime)
    • Batman
    • Tarzan (Trek's lead-in this season)
    • Star Trek
    • The Prisoner (tentative based on availability)
    • The Avengers (UK airdates)
    • Get Smart
    In addition, I've been viewing the 6-month block of Dark Shadows episodes that Decades runs, which will conclude in mid-October; I'm playing catch-up with The Monkees, but as Antenna is only airing two episodes a week, it wouldn't sync up with the 50th anniversary viewing until late in the season; and I'm looking to start recording Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In when Decades gets back around to Season 1, which I believe includes one episode in the fall and then gets going as a regular series mid-season.

I'm flexible about watching most of them on the exact dates, since some of those shows were airing in the same time slot. But I do try to make a point of doing Trek on the exact day, as that's where this craziness started.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  17. Tallguy

Damn it. The Prisoner.

18. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Nice. We watch all those shows as well! Huge Melissa Benoist fans.

19. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Six months? Is there any chance the Duning session date is a typo in the CD liner notes? I'm at work tonight and can't pull out my own box set booklets. It just seems impossible that they'd have so much lead time.

20. Tallguy

It's not an outlier. They ripped through a good chunk of the scores over the summer. 8/30 will be Doomsday Machine.