3D interiors in Blender

I like the sensor dish design on the shuttle. Reminds me of the veritech fighter outfitted like that in Macross.

cE2Jixt.jpg

Keep in mind that the reason why the radar system on an E-2 (or AWACS etc...) is a rotating aerial inside of that housing.

That's the ONLY reason the housing is shaped like it is. You don't have to use that format anymore than the U.S.S. Phoenix (Nebula class) needed it to be shaped that way...
Maybe there was an in-universe reason for the Phoenix to have it like that :shrug:

@Jedman67: Thanks! Fair regarding the pod thing, I see it as a precursor to the runabout, as DS9 stated that runabouts didn't exist before the 2360's.

@StarCruiser: I got the idea reading my New Worlds manual in search for inspiration, and seeing the Sevrin-Class science ground vehicle with a similarly round module. I know why real AWACS modules are circular, and like I said before I did try other shapes, this one was simply the one I liked the most.
tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2023-06-11-21-53-09.jpg

@David cgc: Never thought of that, but it makes sense!

@Lt. Washburn: Maybe it's because I'm too used to the Type 6, but if you ask me this shuttle's fuselage is already too large. :lol:

@blssdwlf: I should get into Macross haha, that's cool!

@Finn: The worse part is that on the Phoenix it's not even round, it's oval shaped (like everything was on TNG, apparently).

@publiusr: I may to do a work-bee soon, but I doubt I'd be doing any of those attachments. Because it's a one person vehicle, those end up being too impractical if you ask me.

@137th Gebirg: Indeed, I've been going over several of those fan-made work-bee attachments. Can't say I'm a fan though, they don't look like they'd fit the era properly if you ask me.

Well, I've added the remaining 'decals' so I'm calling the Type 4 finished. I have other attachments in progress but they're mostly concepts and I don't feel like continuing with those at the moment.

Here are some finished renders of them, plus orthos for both the 4 and 6. I should now go back to the Type 7 and 15 and do orthos of them...

tadeo-d-oria-c21-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c17-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c18-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c19-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c20-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-orthos-tff.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-orthos-awacs.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-orthos-type6.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-orthos-type6v2.jpg

Last edited:
@publiusr: I love it too, even toyed around with the idea of doing a high poly version, but I couldn't get New Worlds to run at all so my references were just those two images. Plus as it's a ground vehicle it wouldn't make much sense on a starship's shuttlebay. :P

I went ahead and re-rendered my older Type 7 and Type 15 models, just so they fit with the same style as these, and did orthos as well. They're really old models, with some really terrible work in some areas, but oh well, I did update them a little back when I did the Potemkin shuttlebay. That Type 7 Bussard area still bothers me though, it's all sorts of wrong.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-orthos-type15.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-orthos-type7.jpg

Last edited:
Because I don't know when to leave stuff alone, I went back and redid all the orthos with the shuttles "online"; so the warp grills, lights and such are now illuminated on them all (except for the Type 15, no consistent lights on that thing). So recheck the previous two posts I guess heh.

Last edited:
@publiusr: We never saw the front end of that shuttle, what we see is the back end with that silly window. On the bridge there's even an LCARS showing the aft end of the shuttle outside the rock as confirmation.

I started and dropped this project several times, but now I'm 100% doing some more corridors sets. I'm starting with the Potemkin which will basically be a redress of the standard TNG corridor set as far as style, but the layout will be different. I'll likely incorporate the horizontal paneling from the ship that brought the Siskos to DS9 in 'Emissary', which was identified as an Excelsior class in the novelization (or some other novel, I don't remember).

Very early stuff, I started by just modifying my existing corridor segment from the Frontier battle bridge, still have to add several details to this area. The turbolift is pretty much identical to the TNG one, just with a handrail and with smaller "windows".

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c1-03.jpg

I think I finished with the "hex corridor" portion of the set as far as modeling goes, though I still have to change the door label textures as you can see. I've added the weird ceiling screen bits from early TNG, being an older starship they made sense for Potemkin. I also modeled new keypads for the turbolift doors and the square end alcove that always looked awkward to me. I also redid the lighting inside the lift, the blue neons on the walls are now more intense.

I started work on the curved parts based on a TMP blueprint (clearer references than the TNG ones available), but it's taking some time, it seems to not be on a single continuous curve which won't make it as modular as I hoped it would be.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-04.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02b.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-c1-05.jpg

I don't think i've seen two turbolifts together like that.
Heh, like I said, I have yet to do those door label textures. Only the door at the far end of the corridor will be a turbolift in the end, just like on the TNG set. :)

Thanks @Sirion and @Santaman!

More progress on the Potemkin corridors. Finished the layout and basic modeling for the curved segments. I'm not liking how the horizontal elements brought from the "Emissary" corridor look with the Potemkin colors, so I might do something different there.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-07.jpg

Also, here's a comparison to a quick redress for the Victory corridors (still missing tons of changes). I might shift focus to these, I think they look more interesting.

tadeo-d-oria-corridor-potemkin.jpg

tadeo-d-oria-corridor-victory.jpg

That's some fancy schmancy interior. :mallory::techman:

Me :computer, where the hell am I? :wtf:
Computer: Deck 10, hallway 5, intersection 21 :borg:
Me: Thanks for nothing! :mad:

Back