2022 book releases

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Sure that more are coming, but still kinda depressing. After about 30 years of me buying just about every book released, they just buried all of the running story lines (yes, I get it), and not really anything on the schedule at the moment. For Star Wars, that was when I just quit and didn't jump back into the new tie-in stuff, but hoping it won't be the case for the Trek side of the house. Not currently super interested in the Picard tie ins, and the Discovery stuff has been hit or miss for me, so guess I'll be waiting to see if we get an old-school book from in-series or anything TOS or ENT that won't go against the new order eventually...

QuoVadisSF and Daddy Todd like this.
  2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

At least Star Wars has some interesting novels out next year to make up for it.

Leto_II and publiusr like this.
  3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Tor.com Publishing is an imprint associated with the website, but not all of its fiction is published online. Its novella line is available in print as well as in ebook format, which I assume is the distinction mastadge is drawing.

mastadge likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why? Star Trek episodes cannibalize each other all the time, and they're all somehow in continuity!

5. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m talking about it from a behind-the-scenes/publishing practices perspective, not about continuity. Episodes build on each other and are derivative of each other in various ways, but I don’t think the specific “substantially rework and release trunk material, then release the original version as well” scenario is something you see a lot in any medium, though writers who are no longer producing new material or their literary estates sometimes go that route to have something to publish at all.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by this.
    E-books are tied to the account you were on when you bought them, not the device. So as long as you have something that has access to that account, you can still get to the e-books you've bought with that account. I have still have e-books, and digital comics that I bought several tablets ago. And I can also get to them on my mom's tablet, and my laptop.

Did you buy it through Amazon, or the Google Play Store or somewhere like that? If so you can just log onto your Kindle or Google Books account and it will be right there. If you downloaded it from a website or something like that directly onto your tablet, you can transfer the file through several different means, e-mail, cloud storage, or Blue Tooth, are probably the quickest ways to do it. Tor.com offers free monthly e-books, so I'm constantly transferring them back and forth between my laptop and my tablet. I usually do Blue Tooth, but when that doesn't work I just drop it onto my One Drive cloud storage account from my laptop, and then open it up on my tablet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2021
  7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I hope you don't mind, @JD , but I took the liberty of fixing your quote tags in the above post to improve readability.

8. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

https://intl.startrek.com/news/idws...ies-spotlights-a-crew-marooned-in-the-distant

New Discovery comic series coming, Adventures in the 32nd Century, by Kirsten Beyer and Mike Johnson.

Each issue of Adventures in the 32nd Century will spotlight a different cast member, and the first issue’s focus promises a unique perspective from the Star Trek franchise as it reveals the secret history of the queen herself: Grudge the Cat! A flashback tale of her first meeting with Cleveland “Book” Booker sets the stage for a trajectory establishing Grudge as the greatest feline spacefarer of all. Subsequent issues will focus on ensign Adira Tal, Lieutenant Keyla Detmer, and science officer Linus.

9. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dang. I’m so close to having read all the comics (besides the Kelvin series). But I quit watching Discovery and have no desire to ever read these. Guess I’ll never have that accomplishment under my belt.

Enterpriserules likes this.
  10. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I must say I don't get the Grudge fetish. At this rate we're gonna have time travel adventures where Grudge teams up with Spot and Chester to stop Isis or something.

TheAlmanac, Markonian and Ronald Held like this.
  11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

When did you quit? I was lukewarm on seasons 1-2, but the show has reinvented itself in seasons 3-4 and I feel it's gotten much better. It might be worth a revisit.

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After season two. I’ve consistently heard the same thing. I may go back someday, but a show I wasn’t enjoying gave me an off-ramp and I was happy to take it up on the offer. Who knows what the future will bring. My fandom is certainly undergoing a period of waning.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Thrawn likes this.
  13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's a Queen.

14. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

You seem to be confident about access convenience. I do not share your view.

In 2019, I had the pleasure of losing my Apple account because a stranger stole my iPhone, which forced me to cut my cell contract in a panic that the thief could somehow break into my data. This came months after Apple rolled out two-factor authentication, but as I no longer had access to this SIM card in question, I could no longer log into my Apple account or access any of my music purchases.

But it gets better. In 2021, Google rolled out forced compliance with two-factor authentication. I just lost access to my non-work Google account because I was so busy with work that I forgot to update the phone number to not be the aforementioned one associated with the stolen phone, and I am lucky that I had nothing of vital importance on this secondary Google account.

captainmkb, TheAlmanac and Elwro like this.
  15. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if she's an intact female, that would literally be true: "queen" is the usual term for an intact female cat, just as "bitch" is the technical term for an intact female dog.

And as to e-books I'm also a bit paranoid about publishers misusing their capability to push unwanted revisions (think about the two distinct versions of Killing Time -- I think we determined, some months ago, that I have the original, with the "slash" elements [rather tame, for all the fuss they caused] intact) -- or unilaterally (and without cause) revoke a license and suppress the opus entirely. And of course, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

16. Christopher

Seems rather asymmetrical, doesn't it? Whoever coined those terms must not have liked dogs very much... :D

When I was a kid, we referred to Mia, the very prolific and regal matriarch of our feline clan, as the Queen of the Universe. I guess maybe that was more literal than I thought (although we did spay her eventually).

17. hbquikcomjamesl

Reminds me of how I often wonder why Ford named a car, and the Mozilla foundation named their email reader, after a cheap wine, and why USC named their football team after a popular brand of . . .

Hmm. I suppose one could name a castrated male pet (or livestock animal, for that matter) after Joseph Goebbels. Because (in the words of the WWII lyrics to Col Bogey's March) ". . . and poor old Goebbels has no balls at all."

18. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The converse, probably. Its meaning of female dog predates its pejorative use for women.

19. Christopher

I know. I was kidding. Hence the grin.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  20. hbquikcomjamesl

Hence my comment about Ford naming a car after a cheap wine, and USC naming their football team after a popular brand of . . . .

And of course, the canine actor who portrayed Budweiser mascot Spuds MacKenzie was a real bitch.