2021 books announced

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by GaryH, Sep 25, 2020.

1. GaryH

GaryH Commander Red Shirt

Tease

James Swallow likes this.
  2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Looking forward to new books. I miss the days gone by when there was a new Trek novel each month.

That also verifies that VOY’s To Lose the Earth is the grand finale of the TrekLit continuity started with DS9’s Avatar?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The same way you know anything else -- by asking, or by listening when someone tells you. You weren't "called out," simply informed of something you didn't already know. And now you do know it. See how easy that is?

4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

So pleased to hear of a new DS9 novel.

BuckBokaiLondonKings likes this.
  5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Oh, please. You can recognize the term nonbinary well enough to mockingly parrot the words "wokeness," "intersectional," and (for some reason) "yass queen," but not well enough to understand it means "neither male nor female" and, thus, "addressed as neither he nor she"?

And you had the whole fainting-couch "How can one person be a 'they'?! Madness!" routine ready to go, too. What's next, "It's okay to be white"?

ToddCam, OCD Geek, ClayinCA and 9 others like this.
  6. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Nope. :)

Oz Trekkie, OCD Geek, Sci and 17 others like this.
  7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm so excited we're getting a new Ds9 novel about Kira and Jadzia Dax. I hope this means we'll be getting more ds9 books again. I'm glad we're also getting a TNG book with Beverley Crusher and Deanna Troi during season 7.These are the kind of Star trek stories I've been wanting to read that take place during the tv series:beer::biggrin::bolian::bolian::bolian::adore:.It's really nice to have new authors writing Star trek books.

8. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to these! More time with missed friends! Especially Deanna and Crusher...and Jadzia. I love Kira, but she's often center stage. Deanna I'm so happy had a great visit in "Nepenthe," but she's an underserved favorite. Crusher too...I can't believe she wasn't practically second series lead on PIC and hope she pops up next season. Jadzia also I can't wait for, especially written by a non-binary author...it'll be fun to see how she's interpreted. Though, my Jadzia was always subdued early seasons Jadzia...the Old Man with lifetimes of knowledge and mysterious wisdom in them, now in a statuesque new female body/life. Can't wait for the blurb, the cover art, the book!

Markonian likes this.
  9. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I've issued a warning for this post and the subsequent off-topic argument about gender pronouns. Such arguments have no place here.

@Chancellor M'rek if you have any problems with this, please use private messaging to contact me.

Now, back to the 2021 new books discussion please :)

10. GaryH

I am looking forward to these books.

Commercially, it probably makes sense to move to standalone novels for what is now classic series like TNG or DS9 like they do for original Trek, while tying in to the ongoing tv shows with novels that dance between the raindrops of the tv episodes.

DS9forever and Elwro like this.
  11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I've been surprised for years that no in-series novels have made their way to the schedule. This is very cool for many reasons.

DS9forever likes this.
  12. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man. I hope you guys aren't all just messing with us here. I'd love to think the litverse still has a future.

I don't think one necessarily leads to the other. All we know is there will be a new TNG and DS9 novel that apparently take place during the series runs. But that does not rule out future relaunch style novels.

I'm sure if S&S were to continue the litverse they'd find some way to differentiate them from series timeline novels. One simple way I see is to use the relaunch title styles for litverse novels and series title styles for non-relaunch novels (though I noted before "Collateral Damage" does complicate that a bit since it reverted to the TV series era title style). Of course that won't work with Voyager. But I have a feeling this may be the last relaunch specific Voyager novel so it may be moot. Not to say future litverse novels may not include Voyager characters, but I seriously doubt they'll be future Voyager only relaunch novels.

Frankly I have a feeling the only litverse novels we may see in the future will be TNG related (with a pop in from one of the other series maybe).

Though I live in hope for a DS9 finale (in case I haven't mentioned it :nyah:)

DS9forever and Markonian like this.
  13. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Just a suggestion: Due to the special nature of these new DS9 & TNG novels, perhaps the publisher could reach out to Nana Visitor and Marina Sirtis etc and ask them to contribute forewards?

14. GaryH

I wonder if Una McCormack will be announcing a book at the NYCC panel today?

Ronald Held likes this.
  15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been wondering if Una McCormack's interview with the new Star Trek book authors is going to be posted on Youtube.:vulcan: I hope we'll get some news about the new Star trek books coming out next year.

16. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

The Janeway autobiography is imminent, and we know she is editing Spock’s.

She also has a Doctor Who novel coming out in December.

And that’s in addition to her other commitments.

I think she deserves some family time.

GaryH likes this.
  17. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Hmm. Maybe we can trick a writer from this forum to ask her, then he can tell us everything!

18. GaryH

She actually gave up her teaching job to be a full time writer so we should be lucky and get lots more from her in years to come

Ronald Held likes this.
  19. historypeats

historypeats Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no idea how I missed this thread when it was first posted! New authors?!? Plus Dayton Ward hinting that the Litverse will also continue in some form? Today is a good Sunday.

20. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

GaryH, RAMA and TheAlmanac like this.