2018 Releases

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by aventinelover, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Other than the bible, is there much of that?

JoeP likes this.
  2. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's where you and I differ in opinion.

There are many Christian fiction imprints, and I like to read a variety of genres; historical, contemporary romance, sci fi, mystery, spiritual, etc.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

From your answer, I assume it is a rather broad genre then.

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, yes. It has several sub-genres that line up with their secular counterparts. Some are better written than others.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. In fact the current situation reminds me of how things were with Pocket in 1983-1988 or thereabouts when we were lucky to get maybe four books a year. It really shows you how spoiled we've become.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't think that'll happen. There's too much money to still be made off the Star Trek name, especially now that Discovery has proven successful.

It's possible -- but there again, they've continued the serialized arcs even into 2017 with novels like Section 31: Control. I think Pocket may end up re-orienting the Star Trek novel line to focus more closely on Discovery and TOS, but they seem to recognize that their novel-original storylines have a dedicated fanbase to this day. My guess is that we might see about 25%-30% of ST novels be in the "Destinyverse," with the rest focusing on TOS and DSC and maybe other "traditional paradigm" books.

Are you talking about when they moved from publishing two Star Trek novels a month to publishing one a month, in 2005? You know, 13 years and two presidents ago? C'mon, man, that's really not a harbinger of the current business environment. ;)

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if any have lately, but a few years ago some of the books in main 24th Century arc were New York Times Bestsellers, so at least then they were selling well. The sales might have dropped a bit since then, but going by the membership here, there still seem to be quite a few people reading them.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Markonian likes this.
  9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, amazon had it listed since at least last Sunday:

10. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

I love this sort of speculation and I was wondering if it was something like this. Of course, none of us know, but if this is the direction they are moving in, fine by me. Although I can't imagine them halting the 24th Century story lines, either.

Within this specific vein of speculation, I wonder what the individual threads of contention might be..

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope they won't discontinue the Enterprise Rise of the Federation books when the stories were getting really good with Patterns of Interference ended with a cliffhanger for Trip, I wanted to see how the story arcs for the characters would progress in future books. Also the Ds9 books too.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Jedi Ben, Jbarney and Ktrek like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, but I found BD had the better price and will send stuff off early, I find Amazon tend to strictly stick to the release date.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, basicly, it's safe to asume now that except for what's already been announced for 2018, no new novels will come out, right? I mean, even if they announce RIGHT NOW that Pockets can keep going, I doubt they've got manuscripts ready for publishing, right??

14. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

Which is a bit odd as BD has been owned by Amazon since 2011.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This has already been asked and answered multiple times in this thread by now, I'm sure. Normally it takes maybe a year and a half to two years to get a book from contract to publication, but the process can be sped up to a few months if necessary.

And any manuscripts that were contracted before the license expired would already have been announced and on the way to publication. Once again, the lack of a license only affects Pocket's ability to commission new book contracts. It has no impact on their ability to publish books they already contracted.

SolarisOne likes this.
  16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, short answer is yes? Thanks. :)

Jbarney likes this.
  17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I have always found this weird, that even though the license has expired Pocket can publish new books, maybe because licenses in the comic book world don't work like this. If the license was through 2017, then the right to publish ends at December 31, 2017. I've seen publishers cram through books just so they can hit that end date. As an example, IDW had to rejigger their publication schedule for Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time so they would not only have all 12 issues out but a collection of the entire series as well before their license expired at the end of 2013. So, the publication of something like Drastic Measures seems deeply strange to me. I realize the contract terms between CBS and S&S allowed for it, yet part of my brain still thinks CBS's lawyers should have said, "You didn't get it out before the end of 2017, Pocket, so you're shit outta luck." *shrug*

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, the answer is that nothing can be said for certain. There's a range of possibilities, but we won't know until we know. If the license were to get renewed soon, it might be possible to expedite the process enough to get something new out by the end of the year, but that's strictly hypothetical. And it wouldn't be easy, so there's no guarantee that it would be done. There is no simple yes/no answer to anything at this point.

Maybe that's because it takes so much longer to write and publish a prose novel than a comic book, so the license process acknowledges the long lag time between commission and publication? Although it seems odd to me that it would, since comics require both text and art, even if the amount of text per installment is much less.

Mage likes this.
  19. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

They could always announce print versions of the ebooks for the Christmas season.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

OCD Geek, bok2384, JoeP and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.