2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

Brazil's only hope now is that this is an episode of Voyager and there's a big reset button coming up... :devil:

Holy cow! The second half is either going to be a cracker, or the most boring 45 mins of the WC so far.

Brazil's only hope now is that this is an episode of Voyager and there's a big reset button coming up... :devil:

Holy cow! The second half is either going to be a cracker, or the most boring 45 mins of the WC so far.

Germany don't want cards or injuries. Brazil want to save face. Germany will probably hit them on the break.

6-1 or 6-2 ?

7-0 :wtf:

And Brazil will have to play the match for the 3rd place...if they're still alive...

Last edited:
Germany are dismantling a very crappy Brazil team.

Later, Brazil will internally combust...

8-0 anyone ?

Unbelievable, never would have thought Brazil would just give up the defence after the first goal and give up the match after the second goal....
Auf gehts zum WM Sieg Deutschland!

My god.. that was unreal.

I thought Germany would win given that Brazil was missing 2 key players but i also thought it might give Brazil a boost, a sort of "For Neymar!" (think brazilian version of Braveheart)

The early first goal was awesome because Brazil began like i expected them, full on force and pressing so the first german goal was a relief.

Then came minutes 23-26 where may jaw dropped further down as each minute and goal passed. I have never seen such a dismantling of a world class team at such a late stage at a world cup. Decisive wins sure.. 2 or even 3 goals apart has happened but this was pure humiliation.

One after game scene broke my heart.. a brazilian grandpa in a Brazil shirt holding a replica model of the World Cup and looking sadly onto the playing field still trying to understand what happened.

I just hope the german team doesn't lift off because of this game and stays grounded.. this game was an abberation, an absolute exception but i think they are professionals enough to know this and get the right amount of confidence going into the finals.

This Sunday should be amazing no matter who the opponent will be.

Glad to see Brazil finally get exposed. That was just utter domination by the Germans.

Of course ESPN hyped up Neymar's absence, but I knew going in that Brazil would miss Thiago Silva's presence more and I was right.

In case anyone is wondering what the German fans were singing from the 77th minute on it's "So ein Tag, so wunderschön wie heute, so ein Tag, der dürfte nie vergehn" ("Such a day as beautiful as today, such a day should never fade away").

Good thing both the German fans and the Brazilians don't remember / don't know it's a German carnival song (a German carnival song in the world's capital of carnival - ouch! :crazy:)

My wife decided to stop watching the game after the first 45 minutes, she couldn't bare to see Brazil's humiliation. Frankly, I felt a little relief when Brazil scored a goal in the final minute.

Can't make up my mind whether Germany should play for the World Cup against Argentina or the Netherlands.

Probably the Netherlands, but only if the Brazilian team will promise they will not let the Argentinians humiliate them. Should this happen, we'll probably see ugly riots.

Bob

I watched the game with a bunch of Germans. So much fun! The disbelief was almost as huge as the joy. :D

Germans are always filled with so much Angst to go along with their tremendous work ethic... Schweinsteiger yelled at Özil for not hitting that easy goal to go up 8-0! :lol:

As an ignorant American who only watches soccer once every four years, I've been enjoying watching the World Cup, and I don't think the Netherlands-Costa Rica game was boring.

But if I have to watch one more guy pretending to fall down then writhing around in pain...

In basketball and American football, players will pretend not to be injured just because they don't want to be taken out of the game.

:confused::confused::confused:

Basketball players "flop" all the time, and are motivated to do so for the same or similar reasons as soccer players: to get a foul called against the opposing team. You also see soccer players flop late in the game to let their team have a "breather" even though that can bite them in the butt because stoppage time is added to the game.

This has been buzzing in my head for awhile so bear with me. Basketball was the analogy I was thinking of because it's the closest. This may sound like hairsplitting.

I think it's a good idea to distinguish between:
Drawing Fouls (placing yourself in a position to be fouled)
Exaggerating Fouls (you were fouled, but you react in an animated way to call attention to it)
Milking Fouls (you were fouled, but nowhere near that bad)
Faking Fouls (you weren't fouled, but you acted like you were).

The last category is flat out unacceptable. The NBA is fining and suspending players for doing it now (once they find out, usually after a game). I think FIFA should do the same. If you pretend you were elbowed in the head or some other non-existent contact, you should be tossed from the game. If the ref didn't catch it (or worse, penalized the other player) you should be tossed from the next game. Milking fouls bothers me as well. Either it's designed to use up time (extra time is never the same amount burned in the first place) or it's trying to make the foul seem worse than it is (perhaps to draw a yellow or red card for the player). But it's much easier to feel pain in yourself than in somebody else, so I don't think this can be enforced (I'd hate to penalize somebody legitimately in pain and telling them they're faking it).

Germans are always filled with so much Angst to go along with their tremendous work ethic... Schweinsteiger yelled at Özil for not hitting that easy goal to go up 8-0! :lol:

Yes, you also might have expected a display of something like joy (not enthusiasm, mind you) after the game from the German kickers and coach. :rolleyes:

Bob

I think they were deliberately treading carefully because winning 7-1 against the home team doesn't ever make you very popular, even less so in this case. I must say I felt sorry for the Brazilians as well. I know what it feels like when your hopes of your team reaching the final in their home World Cup are dashed and they looked like an amateur team to boot, too.

I can't quite believe this actually happened. I did expect the game to be much, much closer. After the second goal I expected the Brazilians to go on the offensive but instead Germany just kept scoring. Also, Klose got his record goal and Müller scored, too. Like a dream, really.

Ever since 2006 I've been hoping for Germany to win the World Cup. Now it might actually happen. Wow.

I was watching the game with a bunch of Brazilians and anti-German Germans so it was a bit awkward but generally nice. The electronic signs from public transport not only showed the score but also the words of a fan song, "Finale, oho, Finale" (sung to the melody of "Volare"). That made me chuckle.

Last edited:
Man, that game was just brutal. I was rooting for Germany since the start but, damn, I didn't expect the Germans to beat the Brazilians that bad.

Back