2008 Olympics!

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Turbo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Too easy. He would probably beat Thorpe and Pieter van den Hoogenband also. His turns are incredible.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will say one nice thing about NBC. While watching the basketball game yesterday (Which wasn't live, so I couldn't flip to the Nascar race or any other ESPN because they give everything away :rolleyes: ) and they brought back the greatest sports theme song ever, John Tesh's NBA on NBC theme. God did that bring back memories.

3. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

It'd be nice if MNF would put spoiler warnings for those of us on the West Coast.

4. tomalak301

Ah, but that is too much work of ESPN. If you don't want to know, than you might as well not watch ESPN for the next two weeks, or visit thier webpage, or yahoos webpage, or any other news source. They all don't care about us or this side of the country. :rolleyes:

5. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

NBC is using the Brisco County Jr. theme song in their promos. It's sort of making me want to pull out the DVDs... :vulcan:

6. tomalak301

Indeed. China, you can have the gymnastics. Swimming is much better. :techman:

7. tomalak301

I think I know why I don't like Gymnastics. I'm watching the Team final right now, and the scoring and judging is so freaking slow. It's reminding me of Salt Lake and the French judge for Figure Skating (I hope I have my facts right) in that the scoring is so slow and something might go wrong. I have no idea what the scoring means (I always though a best of 10 thing was nice but I guess 16 is a damn good score) and it's making it boring, just coming off of some great swimming a half an hour before.

8. tomalak301

Sorry for the triple post but hay, this is commentary ;)

What the US is doing in Gymnastics is absolutely awesome. One member of the US Team just landed a triple back flip off of the high bar and stuck it. Damn they are giving China a run for it's money and they are psyched out about it. This is actually quite fun to watch. :techman:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  9. PlainSimpleJoel

Maybe on today, you might be more dominate than the rest of the world. But today, all 4 gold medals went to those were the world champions in. At the moment, USA have won 5 gold in the pool, Australia 3 gold medals and South Korea, Great Britain, Netherlands and Japan one gold each.

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Haha, the german rowing eight just got humiliated beautifully. I love how much the Germans are getting owned this year, the whining of their athletes and media is simply hilarious. :D

11. PlainSimpleJoel

Interesting ... the country of Togo just won their first Olympic medal ever, with Benjamin Boukpeti (who carried their flag at opening ceremony) winning bronze in the K1 Slalom. He did have a chance to win gold, but was very happy to win a medal anyways.

12. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

Another medal for team GB, a silver for David Florence in the men's slalom canoe. Excellent. :D

13. Azlynn

Azlynn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Actually, a few more medals from Eventing that just wrapped... team bronze, and possibly something in individual... I can't remember beyond the German guy, lol. And a few for Australia!

Actually, the scoring is low BECAUSE of that. Gymnastics created a new scoring system at the same time as figure skating in response to the judging scandal. Gymnastics had been full of their own scandals and crappy judging.

This many days in and still no medals for Canada... we look really pitiful right now.

14. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

^We got two bronze medals; team and individual eventing (won by Tina Cook).

15. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

It takes too long, but the new scoring system for gymnastics is actually much fairer than the simple 10.0 system. Just think of it this way--most gymnasts will score between a 14.0 and a 17.0. A few stunningly difficult routines might score above a 17, and the really, really disastrous ones will receive below a 14. The crappy routine by the first US gymnast on pommel horse in the last rotation received a 12.775 because he fell and missed several moves and skills. That's what cost the United States the silver medal in the team competition.

Between 14 and 17. Just remember that and you'll understand the gymnastics scoring system and what to expect.

16. tomalak301

That's simple to remember but I guess it would be nice if some of that was edited out. That competition was so exciting last night, but given this isn't live after all, it would be great to keep the momentum going. Waiting for scores just kills a lot.

17. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Actually, I agree that waiting for scores is aggravating.

18. PlainSimpleJoel

Neither have New Zealand, but you both should win something soon hopefully.

19. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

The Chinese are not being good hosts, they are hogging all the gold medals.

20. PlainSimpleJoel

So what are you suggesting? They stop competing, so other countries can win some medals. It's their games, and most likely they will win more than any other country.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Both New Zealand and Canada have chances to win some medals over the next few days.