Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Multiple villains can work fine if the writing is strong and the running time is long enough for all of the characters and story elements to have room to breath. In addition to the films you mentioned on the plus side, Batman Begins had quite a few villains in the mix, too.

2. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like the Matrix on quualudes?

What will Snyder do without a comic to imitate directly? Although, considering that I haven't found his imitations to be all that inspiring, it'll be interesting to see what he does without a shot by shot storyboard...

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Zod? Boring. Been there, done that.
    Synder... bring on the SLOOOOW MOOOTIIOOOON FIGGGHT!

I can't say this is a particularly inspired choice.

But I can say this is not a particularly inspired choice.

Not surprising, but not inspiring or interesting.

If it had been Aronofsky or Duncan Jones THEN I would have been much more interested.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Even though I like 300 and Watchmen, the slowmo is starting to get a little tiresome. It has become cliche now with his movies. Maybe that's why Warners/Nolan hired him? They think the masses love his style.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Watchmen only did so-so box office and The Legend of the Guardians is on the same track, so it's more likely that they just really believe in him as a director.

6. Meh. Wasn't a huge fan of 300 or Watchmen, though I did like the latter more than the former. The stylistic similarities between the two movie (with nothing in common in terms of content) is disquieting, since it seems to indicate a lot of Snyder-isms are part of his regular style and could show up in Superman too....

Oh well, the script I think is what's important here.

You know the kind of Superman movie I'd love to see... an ID4 type invasion movie. But instead of some dorky scientist saving us, it's Superman who saves us by doing mind-boggling heroic acts. Honestly the most impressive thing Superman did in 'Returns was pick up an airplane. Boring.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This excites me.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Zack Snyder it is. It was such a predictable pick that I had hoped it was not going to be him as much as love 300 and enjoy Watchmen. Be curious to see what a Snyder/Nolan collaboration delivers.

General Zod, well as long as it doesn't play as a wank fest to the Donnor films like Returns did in a drag out boring manner. Don't get me wrong the Donnor films were great...for their time. What Singer and Co. failed to realize was that era had passed and a real cinematic Superman update was needed. Instead we got an homage film that played more boring than anything Donnor would've done.

So now what I'm unclear on is this: Will this be a hard reboot ala Batman Begins or another soft sequel ala Returns just not adhering to Returns? I'm so over stalker Superman.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I dont know. Lifting this huge kryptonite landmass from deep inside the earth's crust and throw it into the sun was pretty impressive.! ;)

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The part I most look forward to seeing whenever I watch superhero movies is when the superheroes fight the supervillains.

If I want to see a guy lift heavy objects, I'll just go to the local gym.;)

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, I really hope this doesn't go down the same way his last two movies did with me-- so thrilling and visually spectacular in the theater... and then after the hype's gone and you watch them again you find they're just a bunch of empty style with no heart or substance whatsoever.

As far as villains go though, I have no problem bringing back Zod. It'll hopefully allow for more of a intellectual threat to Supes instead of just being something for him to punch for two hours.

12. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

UGH.... My gut reaction to this news is just NO.

This will just mean LOTS of slow-mo, an complete lack of subtlety, and bizarre adaption choices. Nooo... As someone else mentioned, Snyder is pretty much the Hollywood definition of "All style and no substance".

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will be interesting to see what else Snyder is capable of because IMO Superman calls for a different style than he usually delivers.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

From what we know so far it'll have no quasi-sequel connection to any previous Superman films, but it won't be an origin story like Batman Begins. It'll start with Superman already established as a superhero.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Zach Snyder; great news.

General Zod AGAIN; bad news.

Zod is so terribly overused and isn't that interesting in the first place. The only time I found him well written was in the Superman New Krypton story because he wasn't technically the villain in it. Hopefully they'll take a page from the recent interpretation and not make him a world conquering maniac.

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard it's going to be a "hard-edged origin story", but then again I could be wrong.

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Does that mean lots of time on Krypton establishing a familiar connection before moving the action to Earth? Hard Edged? Help me out with what that means, not sure I've heard that phrase used before.

19. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I understand Dean Cain's out of the running as well.