Zachary Quinto as Spock...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well they are supposed to start shooting November.

Heroes has a big enough cast to shoot round him I would think, although I would imagine that would be the sticking point. He's already said he'd like to do it.

Depends what he is contracted to do for Heroes I suppose.

2. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

wow, this may qualify as the most positive thread about Star Trek XI I've ever seen.

3. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Give it time.

4. rmkwebdesign

rmkwebdesign Commander Red Shirt

5. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DOOD, HE SUX!

There... I got the first one in! YAY!

6. TrelaneRetired

TrelaneRetired Ensign Red Shirt

Guess I'm the odd-man-out here but Adrien Brody sounded like a much better choice. He's got a lot more name recognition and a lot more acting cred.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no question Quinto has the build for it. Physically, I suppose he's as good as we'll get. But I worry about the man's acting skills. No, I'm not claiming he's a terrible actor ... far from it. Rather, Spock's personality is both subtle and powerful. Nimoy through luck or talent hit exactly the right note in carrying off a performance of a character who is a study in contrasts. Spock isn't at home with either Vulcans or humans. He's emotionless, but great passion lies beneath his every action.

Pulling Spock off won't be easy for any actor. His every action will be studied and criticized more than any other performer in that movie. Quinto can do sinister ... he can be creepy to a degree that makes Anthony Perkins look like a momma's boy. But Spock is something completely different.

8. Who_Trek

Who_Trek Commander Red Shirt

I don't know who he is, I'm afraid (I've never seen Heros) ... People sound happy about it, so I hope it happens ;)

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

:guffaw:

Quinto would be an excellent choice. Here's hoping. :thumbsup:

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: Weeeiirrrd, huh?

I wish I could go thru the archives to find out how long ago I started yakking about it. I remember when I first saw the guy on 24, my immedate thought was, well, if they ever need to recast Spock, there's your guy. And S3 was in 2003 - the Xindi Arc had just begun on ENT, and there was no inkling that Kirk or Spock would ever be revived. I thought it was sheer wishful thinking at the time. :D

No fresh rumors about Kirk yet, huh? It would be funny if they went for Michael C. Hall - another excellent actor playing a serial killer. Seriously, despite the weird coincidence, those two guys would be about the best casting I could imagine.

And we're the people who are supposed to be issuing DEATH THREATS!!!! against the infidels willing to besmirch the legacy of the holy Shatner and Nimoy with their odious and undeserving presence!!!! :D Aww, and here I was looking forward to a good old fashioned internet jihad. If they don't frak up the casting, they'll spoil all our fun.

Sylar is a character who takes a lot of acting talent to pull off because the writers haven't been a whole lot of help. When you think about the character logic that we've seen so far, and envision it written on the page, a lot of problems crop up. The character really hasn't been nailed down; if you follow the arc, Sylar is kinda all over the place, as the story demands. And he could have come off as a groanable cliche in the hands of a less imaginative actor. The fact that Sylar works as well as he does - seems like a coherent, believable character and not someone we've obviously seen before - is more due to to Quinto than to the Heroes writers. Generally the writers on that show are good, but Sylar isn't the best thing they've come up with by a long ways.

So I think Quinto has the talent to find the core of a character and bring him to life. And you're right that Spock is a tough role, demanding a lot more subtlety than usual, and that the character has to be played on two levels, the cool surface and the hot volcanic interior at all times, and the interior can only be hinted at but must always be present. A lot of Trek actors who play Vulcans only get the surface level, and they're boring but every so often you see one who understands the role and can pull it off.

11. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Give it time someone will paint the railings the wrong color...
    Knew you'd be pleased by this Temis.

Sharr

12. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's a good choice. Good as anyone, really. I like him on Heroes so I'll certainly give him a shot with Trek if it ends up being a done deal.

Kirk's going to be the tough one. I can't think of a single person they could cast that would get such a majority good reaction as Quinto's gotten from this crowd.

13. Mr J

Mr J Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This would be absolutely amazing. I want this to happen sooo much it isn't even funny. He would be a perfect choice from all angles really.

Also, he is unbelievably freakin' hot. This needs to happen.

14. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

he would be great as Spock

15. Anthony

Anthony Lieutenant Commander

It ain't gonna happen.

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, thank you for clearing that up for us Anthony. Please, do tell us tomorrow's lottery numbers while you're at it.

17. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Lottery Numbers ?

4 8 15 16 23 42

- W -
    * How's that ? *

18. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

Interesting choice if it's true. I wish I had more than Heroes to go on as to whether he can pull it off.

19. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who are you? JJ Abrams? :guffaw: